Moto Care warranty: New device or repaired and returned?

itslikeimsayin

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I recently sent my Moto X Pure Edition (under warranty) in due to a screen issue, and they informed me they fixed it and sent it back to me. I just received it, and I'm fairly certain the device they sent me is not my original device. Not really a big deal to me, but what is weird is that in their emails and paperwork they sent, it seems to indicate they were able to fix my device and sent it, specifically, back to me. The one I received in return came in a new box with a different IMEI number than my original phone. Does that confirm it's a different unit? If so, is it typical for Motorola to indicate they fixed my phone, when in fact they simply replaced it with another?

Here's what Moto Care wrote in an email to me, verbatim:
"We've shipped your repaired device back to you. We had to make extensive changes, but it's now in good working condition."

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
If the 'extensive changes' included replacing the main circuit board/chipset, it would likely have a new IMEI...I've seen that reported in other forum posts.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The one I received in return came in a new box with a different IMEI number than my original phone. Does that confirm it's a different unit?

Settings>About phone>Status>IMEI information

Does the IMEI on your phone match the number on the box? That's the only way to make sure.

itslikeimsayin

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
It matches the new box it arrived in, but not my original box. Which is why I suspect it's a different phone altogether.

Posted via the Android Central App

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
That's funny. I was sent back what I was told way my original phone too.
The little scuffs on the bottom matched up with my original device, but they had replaced the back- which was bamboo.
The imei's did match up though.

Posted via the Android Central App