How to encrypt the MicroSD card?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
On 6.0 with latest security patch.
Is there a way to encrypt the microSD card such that if phone is stolen or lost, the data on the card is not accessible?
Seems other android phones/manufacturer's versions of android, allow this, under Secutiy\Encrypt SD Card. Moto X does not appear to have this capability. (you get a PIN lock on the SIM card...and Encrypt the whole phone...those are the options) Which is very odd for a flagship phone.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You could use the card as internal storage. Then only the phone can read it as the card becomes encrypted and the key is in the phone. No pc can even recognise the card so it's secure

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No that's not the solution. Part of the benefit of having the microSD as portable storage is that if the phone bricks or is damaged physically, the card can be removed and, most likely, the data salvaged. If I integrate the microSD into internal storage I do not get that option. also since microSD cards are not built to the same standards as internal memory, a weak-point in the system is being introduced. You are theoretically using a memory media that';s not the equivalent of the internal memory and is more likely to fail...especially if a user ends up installing a heavily-used microSD card.

Other android phones enable encrypting of the internal and external memory separately. It's odd that the Moto XPE hs eliminated this option.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You are hardly likely to be able to recover data from an encrypted card without a working phone so I don't follow your logic. I agree adoptable storage is a drag on performance but it was a workaround.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No that's not the solution. Part of the benefit of having the microSD as portable storage is that if the phone bricks or is damaged physically, the card can be removed and, most likely, the data salvaged. If I integrate the microSD into internal storage I do not get that option. also since microSD cards are not built to the same standards as internal memory, a weak-point in the system is being introduced. You are theoretically using a memory media that';s not the equivalent of the internal memory and is more likely to fail...especially if a user ends up installing a heavily-used microSD card.

Other android phones enable encrypting of the internal and external memory separately. It's odd that the Moto XPE hs eliminated this option.

How would one read an encrypted SD card on another device?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I don't think other devices have encryption for the external SD card well still being portable storage. Regardless if they do or not, what would be different than adopted storage? I don't think the quality/longevity is an issue with a card of sufficient quality, speed can be too a point but UHS3 cards provide near internal storage speeds in some devices...

But the real problem is your second sentence makes no sense... If you encrypted an SD card, regardless whether it's adopted or portable storage, it will be encrypted and not readable on another device or be recoverable, so your whole point is mute.