Android 7 Nougat for the Moto X Pure Edition

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: When will we get Nougat?

Is this the app that you are talking about: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pp.disableincreasingring&hl=en&token=QzAD_Kgc

I wonder if the bug is that it's playing the alert sounds, and not just the ringtones, as increasing and that's why they play so quietly. If you had a really long alert sound (like 3 seconds) you could hear it getting louder as it plays.

The link in your message isn't working for me, but that appears to be the correct app based on the url. Since I installed it on my wife's phone, her notification sound has been loud and clear. I should note that the app has also affected her phone ringtone -- it no longer increases in volume when initiated, but is immediately at full volume.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I beg your pardon. There should have been posts on the subject from before July 2016. I could find none in a search even using Duck. Posts can be hidden from a search. I have my post from a Moto forum last spring, so I know there were posts from 2015 in a search. I went 3 pages deep and found nothing but reiterations from June/July 2016 on.

Moto did state that they were going to be current in their updates. I know that the Droid was specific to Verizon, I don't know which carrier sold the others.

The Moto X Pure has disappeared from the list of phones in GSMarena. Why? The Play is there, other phones from the same year are there. The Pure was a NA phone and did have TMO band 12. The Play does not.

Here's a post from GSMarena about updates:
Moto X Pure Edition (2015) is now receiving the May security update - GSMArena.com news

I think I did see that updates were to be current as with Google's on this phone in the GSMarena from NOV 2015 to FEB 2016 info. I read and reread all the specs to make sure I wanted the phone.I bought it in Feb 2016.

Whether it did or not, TMO could have asked that some of the X Pure info be edited. It did have the 900 band (12) but only TMO specific phones had wifi calling. There was confusion over that on TMO sites.
There were other phones also that had the band and no wifi calling. One of the Huaweis, One Plus, to name a couple. Some of us did understand about wifi calling and didn't care, but most people did not understand that having band 12 did not guarantee wifi calling. It would have been to TMO's advantage to delete the info to avoid confusion.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I beg your pardon. There should have been posts on the subject from before July 2016. I could find none in a search even using Duck. Posts can be hidden from a search. I have my post from a Moto forum last spring, so I know there were posts from 2015 in a search. I went 3 pages deep and found nothing but reiterations from June/July 2016 on.

Moto did state that they were going to be current in their updates. I know that the Droid was specific to Verizon, I don't know which carrier sold the others.

The Moto X Pure has disappeared from the list of phones in GSMarena. Why? The Play is there, other phones from the same year are there. The Pure was a NA phone and did have TMO band 12. The Play does not.

Here's a post from GSMarena about updates:
Moto X Pure Edition (2015) is now receiving the May security update - GSMArena.com news

I think I did see that updates were to be current as with Google's on this phone in the GSMarena from NOV 2015 to FEB 2016 info. I read and reread all the specs to make sure I wanted the phone.I bought it in Feb 2016.

Whether it did or not, TMO could have asked that some of the X Pure info be edited. It did have the 900 band (12) but only TMO specific phones had wifi calling. There was confusion over that on TMO sites.
There were other phones also that had the band and no wifi calling. One of the Huaweis, One Plus, to name a couple. Some of us did understand about wifi calling and didn't care, but most people did not understand that having band 12 did not guarantee wifi calling. It would have been to TMO's advantage to delete the info to avoid confusion.

Motorola says the Moto X Pure Edition is on their list of phones that will get Nougat.

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X is old.

My mother is old...MXPE is still a baby... Lol
Even my 2013 N7 slab has 6.01... My original Turbo has 6.01... Nexus 6 has 7... Hell, even my cheap a$$ LG tab I got for free from T-MO got 7.0 last week... Samsung carrier phones from S5 up are ahead of us... Moto G...Lg's, Sony's, HTC.. all have at least 6.01....
I'm not asking for too much, am I????

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Even my 2013 N7 slab has 6.01... My original Turbo has 6.01... Nexus 6 has 7... Hell, even my cheap a$$ LG tab I got for free from T-MO got 7.0 last week... Samsung carrier phones from S5 up are ahead of us... Moto G...Lg's, Sony's, HTC.. all have at least 6.01....
My Moto G 2015 only has 6.0, not 6.0.1

What's new in Android Marshmallow 6.0.1?

Emoji's? Haven't noticed I was missing anything
Camera Shortcut (double tap power)? Eh... OK
Tablet UI? Eh... Another one I would never use
Do Not Disturb until xx:xx? This one might be useful, I have used DND like 4 times in the last year, so it could get used.
Security updates? Well, those would be nice but they are really just a marketing gimmick to look good in the eyes of the public. Android has lots of other ways to thwart most security vulnerabilities, there are few vulnerabilities for which there are actually exploits.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The Moto Zs and Moto G4s are ahead of it.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
lol... another fluff article... I had this discussion on G+ this morning, seriously a "Moto spokesperson" is their reference. That could be a rep in a chat, email response, off handed comment from customer care on the phone, an employee, or ??? The author makes no claims of legitimacy of their source.

Although, to be honest, the June time frame is quite possible... But like any ROM, stock or custom, best not to ask for ETAs, it will be released when, and if, it is ready.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What are you confused about? All these vulnerabilities that they patch rarely have actual exploits, much less ones that are of any real use... Look at Quadrooter, Dirty Cow, and Stagefright supposedly effected hundreds of millions of phones, billions by some estimates, but how many verifiable exploits occurred outside of controlled conditions? Zero. Why? Because Android has multiple ways to deal with threats, just having a vulnerability that can be exploited isn't enough, it has to get around multiple layers of protection from sandboxing, SElinux, DMverity, and others.

As an example, I am in a group that is trying to exploit Dirty Cow on XDA to root or get other elevated privileges, it's a definite, serious security hole in Android and we have had some success in older devices in a controlled environment, but other security mechanisms kill us on newer devices and a simple reboot invokes SElinux and DMverity and reverts everything on stock devices.

So although these updates do patch known vulnerabilities, they are not really necessary from a technical perspective most of the time but they make people feel good. It makes people look favorably on a company because they care... Except it's BS and just more empty, fluffy feel good crap.

At the same time, I'm not naive and will gladly accept any updates available because I'm stupid but I know of from a realistic point of view they have little real world benefit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey