Battery issues?

BoneDigger

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
After having the phone for a while now, my battery is lasting only about half a day. The battery information shows nothing out of the ordinary. The screen brightness is set fairly low. I'm now charging two or three times every day.

Ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And "a while now" matters. If it's been a couple of years, it may be time for a new battery. (If you treat the battery correctly - never letting it drop to under 40% - it should last until we no longer use 4G.) If you usually drain the battery almost all the way, a month or two can kill it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! As krazyatom mentioned, seeing some battery stats would be helpful. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The MXPE has only been out for fifteen months. I have it. For a few months I was getting about 12 hours on with 5 hours SOT, which was pretty decent. But a few months later I was down to 11 hours on with 3 hours SOT. I attribute that partly to the turbo charging degrading the battery faster than regular charging. The screen is a battery hog and the processor isn't terribly efficient. Otherwise I really like the phone, although it's now my backup.

chuckles1024

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I've been using my MXPE since December 2015 and I use it quite a lot daily. At first the battery seemed great but after a few months it started to gobble the battery after a couple/few hours of web surfing and mostly news apps. No gaming at all. Worst thing is the battery connector started to give me trouble a couple of months ago. I bought one of those magnetic connectors and that sort of fixed that. Lately I have to charge it at least once during the day and I usually plug it in again during dinner so I have juice for late-night surfing when it will die again, signalling my bedtime

I bought the Moto Z Play Droid yesterday even though I love everything about the Moto X except the current battery life, but it will now be my music iPod and backup phone -- or get handed down to one of my kids when she complains that the LG Optimus Zone 3 that my wife thinks she should have is too small or not good enough. And I wouldn't blame her for that.

the reel d-dave

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I guess I hadn't noticed my battery die horrifically fast. I used to easily get a day out of it: Be 60% after the end of the day. I do have 4g and wifi connection issues, so I knew they were causing my phone some stress at it looked around. I just did a refresh two weeks ago, and this is my poor battery. I intentionally ran it down because I thought you were supposed to drain it every month or so.

Screenshot_20170326-200258.jpg

I keep my screen pretty low (30% or less), and I can't get 2 hours of Screen Time a day. My batter habits are: off charger at 5am weekdays, charge about at 40-50% (usually on the 30 minute drive home with my quick charger), then go to be about 10pm and charge it over night: usually 30-40%.

I missed the boat, so Turbo Charging is Bad? Wouldn't that open the doors to some kind of battery replacement fiasco if they sold you the recommended charger that destroys your battery? Also, I bought my original in October 2015 and had to have a full replacement after the screen broke, my replacement didn't connected to my provider. I've had this particular phone since January 2016.

Any wise insight is much appreciated!

Aj2488

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here. I did a full restore 2 weekends ago and it didn't help the battery life at all..... I'm glad it's quick again but that's all I gained. I'll wake up and unplug the phone, walk the dogs with Spotify and Map My Walk running and after that my phone is down to 60% (within the first hour of being unplugged!!). I'll throw it on the charger as I get ready for work and by the end of the day I'm down to less than 15% and that's without watching videos or even using it very often. I've started looking at new phones but nothing really catches my eye. It's very disappointing because I love this phone in every other way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170406-022942.jpg
    Screenshot_20170406-022942.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20170406-022950.jpg
    Screenshot_20170406-022950.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Been thinking of doing a restore

But im kind of wondering once its restored will it install the latest OS - security updates that were installed before the restore?

Ive also read on XDA that reducing the resolution of the screen to 1080 saves the battery.:cool:

sybilwayne30

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I had an issue recently where I had to factory reset my MXPE. Up until then, I hadn't been getting great battery life. I had replaced my original battery several months ago so it was better but not great. I work a 12-hour day when you include travel time and I always had to recharge by early afternoon. However, after I did the factory reset, my battery life has been exceptional. I don't know what caused it, but I am very pleased. The factory reset fixed the issue I had and fixed my battery life problem. I was very surprised.

beandaddy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I reset mine. That made it boot a bit faster.
Took most of a week to backup/restore/configure
I miss titanium bu.
My wife's has the accident warranty. New one got here Friday. Her battery performance was worse - and under warranty...

They're saying recharging at 40% now.
This means I'd be plugging in every hour.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My MXPE is a year and a half old, and the battery hasn't lost anything at all. I factory reset after the upgrade to marshmallow, and doze is working beautifully.

My phone will last 2 days easy if I want to push it, but I top it off every night before bed, then unplug it and turn it off.

Running the phone down low and turbo charging it all night kills the battery quick.