Does Doze interfere with Moto Display?

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Does Marshmallow's Doze feature prevent Moto Display from pulsing notifications continuously?

Moto Display on my older 2014 Moto X on Lollipop seemed to continue pulsing notifications every few seconds until I dismissed them.

But on my new Moto X Pure, Moto Display only pulses notifications a few times and then stops.

Even worse, if my phone sits idle for an extended period of time, email notifications are no longer delivered in real time. It might take an hour or more before I'm notified of an email.

I understand how Doze works. I know it turns off the network after the phone is idle and wakes up now and then to allow activity - hence the email notifications being delayed.

I've tried changing pretty much every app to "Not Optimized" in the battery settings. I've tried the "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" command. But nothing seems to work consistently.

This is a huge problem for me, as I rely on email and text notifications for work. I get notices when a server goes offline, etc., and need to know immediately, not hours later after Doze decides to open a "maintenance window."

Is there any proven, consistent way around these problems?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Does Marshmallow's Doze feature prevent Moto Display from pulsing notifications continuously?

Moto Display on my older 2014 Moto X on Lollipop seemed to continue pulsing notifications every few seconds until I dismissed them.

But on my new Moto X Pure, Moto Display only pulses notifications a few times and then stops.

Even worse, if my phone sits idle for an extended period of time, email notifications are no longer delivered in real time. It might take an hour or more before I'm notified of an email.

I understand how Doze works. I know it turns off the network after the phone is idle and wakes up now and then to allow activity - hence the email notifications being delayed.

I've tried changing pretty much every app to "Not Optimized" in the battery settings. I've tried the "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" command. But nothing seems to work consistently.

This is a huge problem for me, as I rely on email and text notifications for work. I get notices when a server goes offline, etc., and need to know immediately, not hours later after Doze decides to open a "maintenance window."

Is there any proven, consistent way around these problems?
I have never noticed this, and unless you phone is idle for a significant amount of time it isn't going into doze mode... doze mode requires the device be idle, motionless, and on battery for about 30 minutes before deep doze mode will even start (light doze is when in motion, and is different, maintenance windows occur more or less regularly). And the maintenance window becomes about once every 15-60 minutes in deep-doze although this can vary somewhat, it is not "hours" apart.

The answer is pretty easy, move it at least once every half-hour or so (just picking it up is sufficient), or if it's sitting that long plug it in... either case will stop deep-doze. Also note that GCM enabled services like Gmail will wake a device on a high priority message regardless of doze state but leaves it in deep-doze until the next maintenance window for normal priority messages, so you could have your server down messages sent with high priority and it would wake the device regardless of the doze state.

So the question is... is this really a Doze thing, or is this something else?

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I have never noticed this...

So if your phone has been sitting idle and off-charger for a minute... and an email arrives... your Moto Display will continue pulsing a notification indefinately - for hours even - until you dismiss it?

I just set my phone down, off-charger. Waited until screen went off. Sent an email to it. Moto Display pulsed an initial notification, but then stopped. I just get that initial alert. It'll sometimes show a few more, but never for more than a minute... and then always stops.

That's not normal?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So if your phone has been sitting idle and off-charger for a minute... and an email arrives... your Moto Display will continue pulsing a notification indefinately - for hours even - until you dismiss it?

I just set my phone down, off-charger. Waited until screen went off. Sent an email to it. Moto Display pulsed an initial notification, but then stopped. I just get that initial alert. It'll sometimes show a few more, but never for more than a minute... and then always stops.

That's not normal?
Moto Display on the MXPE should not continue to "pulse" notifications... It should appear once, then only come on at a trigger-event such as if the phone is moved, if you wave your hand over the device (this is optional, set to your preference in the Moto app), or if a new notification is received. This is different behavior than previous devices with Moto Display and is more battery friendly.

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
This is different behavior than previous devices with Moto Display and is more battery friendly.

Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to know. My Google searches hadn't found anything mentioning the change.

Shame. I like and need persistent notifications, but it's becoming more and more difficult to find a phone that supports them.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to know. My Google searches hadn't found anything mentioning the change.

Shame. I like and need persistent notifications, but it's becoming more and more difficult to find a phone that supports them.
There maybe an app that can give you what you need. You can always unlock the bootloader and root and use something like Xposed, or try a custom ROM, might have better luck.

lgtomoto

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Mine pulses a notification every 10 seconds. I don't know for how long, but at least a half hour. (I got a missed call so I just timed the pulses.)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine pulses a notification every 10 seconds. I don't know for how long, but at least a half hour. (I got a missed call so I just timed the pulses.)
Hmm... So I played with this, and you are correct, leaving it still in a place where it can't detect motion, it will pulse the notification on about 10 second intervals for a while (I tried about 15 minutes) if it is untouched and the power button isn't pressed, but if you press the power button or even just touch the screen in the area of the notification button during a pulse, the pulsing notification stops. My guess is the reason I thought it would stop is I often press the notification icon to see more detail about the message or wave my hand over the device to check them when I need too.

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Have either of you changed any settings, such as Battery Optimization, which might affect the persistence of notifications?

I just tried mine again: woke the phone, set it down and waited a few seconds for it to go dark. Sent a Gmail. It pulsed a notification every few seconds for 4 minutes then stopped. This was without it being disturbed.

I then sent a Text Message. It pulsed just once for the arriving Text, then stopped.

Clearly my Moto XPE behaves differently then, though I can't imagine why. I'm up to date on updates, I'm not running any unusual apps: no Task Killers, no Greenify or anything like that.

Odd.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Have either of you changed any settings, such as Battery Optimization, which might affect the persistence of notifications?

I just tried mine again: woke the phone, set it down and waited a few seconds for it to go dark. Sent a Gmail. It pulsed a notification every few seconds for 4 minutes then stopped. This was without it being disturbed.

I then sent a Text Message. It pulsed just once for the arriving Text, then stopped.

Clearly my Moto XPE behaves differently then, though I can't imagine why. I'm up to date on updates, I'm not running any unusual apps: no Task Killers, no Greenify or anything like that.

Odd.
I am stock... Full battery optimization on everything possible.

lgtomoto

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Stock too. Could be that it'll notify differently for the type of notification (missed call, email, text, etc) which makes no sense I suppose.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I just did a quick test. SMS log up Moto Display every 10 seconds, one try and every 5 seconds another try.
An email lit it up every 5 seconds.
I have added only Android Wear to the three default apps on optimized list.

Attachments

• 14265.jpg
    14265.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 14