Moto X Pure Dropping Ford Sync Bluetooth When Screen Locks

DieselT444E

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
My Moto X Pure Edition is dropping the Bluetooth connection with Ford Sync when the screen is locked. I have Sync listed as a trusted device. I have used my phone in two other Bluetooth equipped vehicles and never had this issue.\

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

tribexx

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
This is weird...

As of yesterday (no phone updates) my car's (Ford SYNC) connection to Bluetooth and Moto X is gone. It doesn't even recognize my phone and my phone asked me if I wanted to pair with SYNC.

DieselT444E

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Try wiping your cache partition? As a fellow Sync user, I wish I could be more helpful.

I did this and it worked last night sitting in the driveway. I thought it was still working on the drive to work this morning. I plugged the phone in to the charger right when I got in my truck this morning. When I got to work and unplugged the phone it dropped Bluetooth immediately. To double check I did a test. I plugged the phone back in and it connected, unplugged it and it dropped. Also I noticed that with the phone unplugged it will connect as long as the screen is on. The phone doesn't have to be unlocked, only the screen needs to be on.

DR L1

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Just a thought here. Do you have another vehicle (or co-worker/neighbor) that you can try with your phone. This would tell you if the phone or car is the problem.

DieselT444E

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I just bought this truck Saturday. Prior to that it worked fine in my old truck that has a Pioneer stereo with Bluetooth. There were occasions the Bluetooth would get flaky, dropping and reconnecting repeatedly during calls, but a phone restart fixed it. I never experienced the behavior I have now where it drops Bluetooth disconnected from the charger or with the screen off. Also, I used it with my wife's car Saturday with no issues as well.

Even so, I'm inclined to think the issue is still with the phone. Unplugging the phone from a charger and the screen being off or on should be completely transparent to the truck. There has to be something in the phone that affects Bluetooth when the charger is disconnected or the screen turns off. How else would the truck know that those changes occurred with the phone?

I need to try my wife's iPhone with the truck, they may give me a better idea also.

My phone just did a system update this morning. I'm going to clear the cache again. Also, I've read that I may need to reverse pair the phone. Instead of looking for Sync on the phone I can look for the phone on Sync and pair that way.

macawmatt

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I was going to mention a SYNC update but that has already been covered. When I stepped backwards to my MXP, my 2001 Escape would pair with the phone but wouldn't do anything afterwards, my problem was fixed with a SYNC update.

DieselT444E

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I have it working, at least over my lunch break running a few errands. Here is what I did: deleted all Bluetooth pairings from the phone and deleted the cache partition again; turned Bluetooth off on the phone; started the truck and deleted the phone from the truck; turned phone Bluetooth on; next I paired the phone to the truck but this time I reversed paired it. I looked for the phone with the truck instead of looking for the truck with the phone. So far it hasn't dropped, screen on or off. I guess I should plug the phone in and unplug it to see what that does but earlier it wouldn't connect unless plugged in so I think I'm good. We'll see it it still works on the ride home.

I got the reverse pairing idea from an old thread on a Motorola help forum for a similar issue.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Ive had the same issue with pairing between the aftermarket HU in my 06' 4runner and the XT 1575. The only time it works is if i reverse pair using the phone b/c the HU wont find or ID the phone until i pair it from the phone.

I guess my frustration is that we shouldnt have to go through all this crap just to use a common feature such as BT. Im just getting kind of tired of the spotty quality and unreliability of the android platform and the MXPE. It just seems like my life could be simplified if i just got a silly iphone

DieselT444E

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Ive had the same issue with pairing between the aftermarket HU in my 06' 4runner and the XT 1575. The only time it works is if i reverse pair using the phone b/c the HU wont find or ID the phone until i pair it from the phone.

I guess my frustration is that we shouldnt have to go through all this crap just to use a common feature such as BT. Im just getting kind of tired of the spotty quality and unreliability of the android platform and the MXPE. It just seems like my life could be simplified if i just got a silly iphone

I agree. My understanding is that the Bluetooth functionality in the XT1575 isn't that solid based on reading several forums.

DieselT444E

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
My phone worked fine until last Tuesday, 1/24. I was having an issue where my pictures weren't showing up in the photos app. I restarted the phone to fix that issue and my original Bluetooth issue came back. So I got it going again on Wednesday. This weekend my phone battery went completely dead. This morning the same old Bluetooth issues were back. So if the phone is restarted or turned off the issue returns.

dagodpapa

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I was having bluetooth issues connecting to my Focus. I finally tried clearing bluetooth data and cache. I also turned off bluetooth location. After that I've had no problems so far...

So I went into Location>Scanning>Switched off Bluetooth Scanning and also Wifi Scanning

Then I went into Apps>Show System>Bluetooth Share>Storage>Clear Data & Clear Cache

I think I had tried everything and nothing worked.

DieselT444E

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I was having bluetooth issues connecting to my Focus. I finally tried clearing bluetooth data and cache. I also turned off bluetooth location. After that I've had no problems so far...

So I went into Location>Scanning>Switched off Bluetooth Scanning and also Wifi Scanning

Then I went into Apps>Show System>Bluetooth Share>Storage>Clear Data & Clear Cache

I think I had tried everything and nothing worked.

OK thank you.

kapryt

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I am having the same problem not only with my Moto X Pure but also with my wife's Moto G 2016.

Neither with Sync, both with GM vehicles with different systems, Cadillac Cue and the Buick/GM regular system.

My Bluetooth on both of these phones also "scrapped" all of my other devices like my Vtech house phone and bluetooth headset.

I can re-pair the phone with the car but EVERY TIME I turn it off and back on it shows "Connected" (either phone either car) but no audio.

I am going to try this clear data, clear cache and pray it works, it is BEYOND annoying.

kapryt

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I tried the delete cache, delete data yesterday and re-paired my Moto X Pure with my Cadillac Cue system.... still no dice.

It shows "Connected" the device name, battery level, but in the "Phone app" there's only speaker no way to "toggle" to bluetooth.

kapryt

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
The thing I noticed and again this is true of non-car bluetooth devices on not just my Moto X Pure but a Moto G 2016 we have it shows the checkbox for "Phone Audio" NOT checked and will not let me check the box is there something in there?

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue.
When connecting my MXPE to JBL Xtreme Bluetooth speaker, and then later connecting to my Peugeot 308 '15, it looks like the phone is connected, but I can't hear the calls on the car's speaks, and the Phone Audio does not keep the selection when selecting it.
The temp solution I've found is to reset the communication by switching on and off the Flight mode on the phone.

BTW, same issue with Moto G4 plus.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835