Certain cables not working with my MXP

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
About a week ago the charger that came with my phone started to work poorly. I have to position the cable just right in the charging port to get a connection. So I assumed it's a bad plug. Well, my daughter has the same phone and she told me her's is doing exactly the same thing.

I have a Belkin Express Dock at work connected to an Aukey quick charge 2 charger. Works fine with my MXP.

So, I ordered a new Belkin Express Dock and a new Aukey quick charge 3 charger and a spare Aukey cable. Now the new Belkin Dock or the new cable won't work with my phone. I can use either Aukey charger with my old Belkin dock and it charges. I plug either the new dock or new cable into either Aukey charger and nothing. Use either charger with the old Belkin dock and it charges.

It makes no sense!! I've cleaned the charging port in my phone, rebooted it several times. Oh, and the cable I have in my car works.

Belkin Dock 1 (old)- Aukey Charger 2.0 WORKS
Belkin Dock 1 (old)- Aukey Charger 3.0 WORKS

Belkin Dock 2 (new)- Aukey Charger 2.0 NO GOOD
Belkin Dock 2 (new)- Aukey Charger 3.0 NO GOOD

Aukey Cable (new)- Aukey Charger 2.0 NO GOOD
Aukey Cable (new)- Aukey Charger 3.0 NO GOOD

Motorola Charger- Works if I hold a certain way.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Scott

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
About a week ago the charger that came with my phone started to work poorly. I have to position the cable just right in the charging port to get a connection. So I assumed it's a bad plug. Well, my daughter has the same phone and she told me her's is doing exactly the same thing.

I have a Belkin Express Dock at work connected to an Aukey quick charge 2 charger. Works fine with my MXP.

So, I ordered a new Belkin Express Dock and a new Aukey quick charge 3 charger and a spare Aukey cable. Now the new Belkin Dock or the new cable won't work with my phone. I can use either Aukey charger with my old Belkin dock and it charges. I plug either the new dock or new cable into either Aukey charger and nothing. Use either charger with the old Belkin dock and it charges.

It makes no sense!! I've cleaned the charging port in my phone, rebooted it several times. Oh, and the cable I have in my car works.

Belkin Dock 1 (old)- Aukey Charger 2.0 WORKS
Belkin Dock 1 (old)- Aukey Charger 3.0 WORKS

Belkin Dock 2 (new)- Aukey Charger 2.0 NO GOOD
Belkin Dock 2 (new)- Aukey Charger 3.0 NO GOOD

Aukey Cable (new)- Aukey Charger 2.0 NO GOOD
Aukey Cable (new)- Aukey Charger 3.0 NO GOOD

Motorola Charger- Works if I hold a certain way.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Scott

Sounds like it's the port of your phone

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I took a look into my charging port today with a microscope and I do have a damaged port. One of the pins looks pushed back and a piece of the plastic along one edge is broken off.

Guess I'll have to see about a repair or better yet, new phone time!!

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I took a look into my charging port today with a microscope and I do have a damaged port. One of the pins looks pushed back and a piece of the plastic along one edge is broken off.

Guess I'll have to see about a repair or better yet, new phone time!!

Have you checked out ifixit? Maybe you can do it yourself

itslikeimsayin

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Mine's doing the same thing. I'm down to one charger that works consistently and one other that works if positioned "just right." I bought my phone in mid-March 2016, so I'm still under warranty. Do you think Moto would honor the warranty for something like this?

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I looked into getting it fixed. As Stalonage suggested I looked at ifixit and it appears that the charging port is soldered to the main board. I won't be trying to fix mine myself and I would thing Motorola won't be "fixing" your phone, only offering a replacement since it's under warranty. Definitely worth a shot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey