A method for partitioning SD card for Internal and Media

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I would love to do this as my 16gb X Pure is full and I have to keep the caches cleaned just to keep it running. Doing the whole card is not an option as I was never able to access the card as internal memory from my computer.

Regarding formatting a microSD card to be both removable and adoptable storage, I don't think that's a viable option for most people to use -- it's a special case situation. Note that you could not access content on your adoptable storage card because when it's adoptable, the file system is altered to be in parity with your Pure's Android file system and it's also encrypted, with the encryption key tied specifically to your Pure. The encryption makes the card usable only on your Pure and if you were using a Windows PC even if it was a situation where there was no encryption, an out-of-the-box Windows system does not support the file system (ext4) on the card anyway. Once it's formatted as removable again, it returns it to its original FAT file system, which Windows does support.
But getting back to your wish to having a dual format card, don't ignore all the messages that pop up regarding adoptable storage. Once a card is adoptable, it essentially becomes a part of your Pure. It's not meant to be removed anymore. You'll be better off in the long run to either commit to using your card as either adoptable or removable, or realize that when using an adoptable storage card as a removable card that there are consequences that effect the stability of your Pure.

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I tried the formatting and it worked perfectly. Was able to move over 3 gb of apps and stuff I don't use much to give my phone some breathing room.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I tried the formatting and it worked perfectly. Was able to move over 3 gb of apps and stuff I don't use much to give my phone some breathing room.

By dual-formatting your card, how do you get past the errors and other adoptable card issues using your phone while the card is removed during those times when you're using it as removable storage?

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Why would I take the card out of my phone? The portable storage still functions fine through Android File Manager. If you want to directly copy to the card, just keep your phone off while copying files to the card. On OSX it just showed up as the partition on my desktop, the "internal" partition didn't show. I don't know why Goggle didn't clearly give us this option before, but I guess they don't trust people to not be swapping their cards like crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy