Strange Moto X Pure SD card problems

A

AC Question

Hi Folks, about a week ago I had a weird SD card problem happen on my Moto X Pure (it is currently ongoing).

Seemingly out of nowhere I an error message pop up. "SD Card missing. Reinsert".
All PDFs, downloads, MP3 files and roughly 2000 pictures instantly disappeared from the phone.

Luckily 90% of this is replaceable.

I tried reinserting it into the phone. That did not work. I then tried using an adapter to look at it with my PC. Also no luck. I've more or less accepted that this MicroSD is dead.

But that isn't the problem. The Phone, which still has roughly 12gb on it will not allow me to download or save anything. These restrictions include-
-No picture taking
-No screen captures
-No podcast downloads
-No spotify downloads
-No downloads through browsers
And so on

On the other hand it will allow me to
-Download Apps
-Download from Google Drive
-Take pictures through messaging apps

Currently I've tried a different adoptable MicroSD which did not work & a brand new MicroSD which I formatted to the phone.

I have no idea what to do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! For that restrictions list, does it tell you that there is insufficient storage? Did the current microSD card successfully format as Internal Storage?

Try wiping the cache partition: https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solution/MS107107

Personally, I'd avoid Adoptable Storage on Moto devices. We see a fair number of glitches on these forums -- it seems like Lenovo's implementation isn't perfect.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
From what I understood - the card either has to be media or data. Apparently you can't mix both.

I've left mine as media only (photo, video, mp3 and mp4) and have no problem. Some have done data only and had no problem until they tried to add photos.

The Daimajin

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! For that restrictions list, does it tell you that there is insufficient storage? Did the current microSD card successfully format as Internal Storage?

Try wiping the cache partition: https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solution/MS107107

Personally, I'd avoid Adoptable Storage on Moto devices. We see a fair number of glitches on these forums -- it seems like Lenovo's implementation isn't perfect.

I'll try Wiping the Cache, thank you.

And yes, even with 11gb left on the phone itself and a brand new 16gb card (which successfully formatted) it tells me there is insufficient storage.

I apologize for not responding sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463