Moto X Pure Nougat Arrived?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yup... Just a security patch. Updated from September 1 to December 1. Bah.
So you just got the patch everyone else got in February? Guess no Nougat for you until July... :)

So far it looks like a very limited release, but it is out there... 3 out of several thousand users on XDA have gotten it, none are soak testers. Remember Moto often releases these updates in batches, very small ones at first, then it gets larger groups. This is a huge update, around 1.2GB, so be patient.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
So. About the IMEI batches? I read this somewhere... Google specific.

When the OTA is rolled out, phones in a certain region might be targeted. And as the batch is being rolled out, devices that check in with the servers get registered. Then the server randomly picks out the required number of devices and pushes an OTA to them.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So. About the IMEI batches? I read this somewhere... Google specific.

When the OTA is rolled out, phones in a certain region might be targeted. And as the batch is being rolled out, devices that check in with the servers get registered. Then the server randomly picks out the required number of devices and pushes an OTA to them.

Not regions but IMEI.

"I got the update in Austin, TX" is irrelevant.

Country would probably play a more important role if SKUs are by country though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok. If its based on IMEI then whats the method to determine how its rolled out?

For Motorola, random IMEIs in batches for push until final push for all or available for all to pull.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
reading about IMEI numbers and wiki states that a IMEI numbers purpose is locating devices. So maybe the region explanation isnt to far off. It still doesnt account for the entire method though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
reading about IMEI numbers and wiki states that a IMEI numbers purpose is locating devices. So maybe the region explanation isnt to far off. It still doesnt account for the entire method though.

Where does it say locating?

It identifies.

OEMs don't ping all of their devices in Florida to push an update.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok. If its based on IMEI then whats the method to determine how its rolled out?
Moto doesn't disclose that information... but we know for sure it is IMEI based and done in batches so as not to overload the update servers (Moto reps have said that in the official forums). IMEI "batches" could be any number of groupings, sequential, random, sampling of versions, etc. but the key factor is we don't know and it seems to be Motorola Proprietary Information.

It is assumed this is done in phases similar to Google... After testing/soaks, a small roll-out of >1% of devices is done and then there is a short waiting period to see if there is a significant problem. If there isn't then a larger roll out occurs, like 5% of devices, assuming all goes well, then the rest of the devices in typically 2-3 groups. All of this is usually spread over 2-4 weeks from start to finish, so just have patience.

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
No official statement about update rolling out, says Motorola's moderator:

"What moto web site says the update is rolling out now? Published release notes for software do not mean it is rolling out.*

I have seen nothing offcial from motorola saying the update is rolling out to Pure or Style.*

3rd party sites are not and have never been a reliable source of information unless they have a link to an official motorola statement.*"

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X...ure-Edition/m-p/3657364/highlight/true#M19081

I hope it's ok to copy posts from another forum.

jojesa

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Even though ‘Quick Settings’ in Android Nougat appears to be better, now it takes three steps to accomplish what I used to do in just two.
I used to use the two finger swipe from the top to bring down settings and notifications bar down, then one tap on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or the data will toggle them ON or OFF, but now when I tap on them it goes into their respective settings where I have to tap again to toggle them ON or OFF. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay