Re-buying Moto X Pure - worth it?

Alex Doge

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Hello, Quick backstory to why I'm posting this:

3 months ago my Moto G (1st generation, never used a case for it) finally was showing its age and I was looking for a replacement. I bought the newest Moto G4 Plus and that's when the problems happened.
The phone overheated more then I was used from my first Moto on the 2 weeks I was trying it out. I only used it for mundane things like messaging, facebook, and browsing... Nothing hardcore like gaming or long video recordings. I didn't buy a case which I felt that it would make the heating issue more prevalent (not allowing heat to escape). I returned the phone for this only issue. I didn't want a phone that would mildly burn my (apparent) sensible hands.

Then I looked into the Moto X Pure Edition, gorgeous phone... bought the phone but got the same issue, but it didn't get as hot and as quickly as did the Moto G4 Plus but ended up returning it for the issue. I didn't want a phone that would heat up and then burn my hand that's only 2 weeks old.
I never got a case for it.

Then I moved on to get the Moto G5... bought the phone and sadly the same issue. I'm starting to believe that all new phones (made after the Moto G1) will have heating issues and must always be with a case.

So... I'm asking for opinions, Is it worth to go back to the Moto X Pure Edition and this time get a case?. Again, the phone is gorgeous but the heating issues was the main let down.

Last edited:

bh5213

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I bought mine back in September and I still really enjoy mine. But I also just bought my wife the ZTE Axon 7 and like it as well. Either are really good choices for the price. I got the Moto on sale at Best buy for $250 and the ZTE for $399. I am not one to spend a ton on phones. So for the price either of these are really good.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Aside from battery life and camera quality, the Moto X pure is still a fantastic phone. It's built like a tank (no case, no problem), the screen looks great, smooth operation and very close to stock Android. Get at least a 32GB or 64GB internal storage.

Alex Doge

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, did any of you experience the burning/heating sensation while using it, even with moderate use?, how where you able to deal with it? I had the 32gb phone and was impressed with almost all of the phone, except for the heating thing.

I'm planning on returning the phone that replaced the G5 and going back to Moto X Pure Edition if I'm able to find a workaround for the heating issue.

bh5213

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Yeah mine heats up a little only when I am using the camera a lot. Taking pictures here and there doesn't heat it up. I am not a gamer so can't speak for that. As far as battery, I noticed if the blutooth is left on, it eats the battery rather quickly. It's almost 5pm my time at the time of this post and I have about 45 percent battery left. Was on 2 conference calls for about 2 hours. So battery is ok...but not great. Occasionally around this time of day I will place it on the quick charge for a few minutes just to bumped it up a bit.

Alex Doge

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, I always had BT on when I had MPE, are you using any cases?. I'm not a gamer either but noticed the heating issue after "normal" use, mostly when multitasking facebook messenger/9gag/whatsapp.

Alex Doge

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks All for your response. I'm still debating if I should return the Iphone 5se and give the Moto XPE another chance, this time with a cover.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, did any of you experience the burning/heating sensation while using it, even with moderate use?, how where you able to deal with it? I had the 32gb phone and was impressed with almost all of the phone, except for the heating thing.

I'm planning on returning the phone that replaced the G5 and going back to Moto X Pure Edition if I'm able to find a workaround for the heating issue.
I got one upon its initial release. That one tended to run hot and died. I got a warranty replacement, which I've had for over a year now, and it doesn't run hot.

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I think you better go with Moto G5 plus than with the MXPE 2015.
The MXPE doesn't have enough RAM - although it has 3GB RAM, only 2.5GB are available for use, and 0.5GB is dedicated for the display hardware.
It will also not get system updates after the Nougat it supposely should be getting.
Battery life is also mediocre because of the 2K display.
Ignore all the above if you only plan to use it as a back.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Been through the Samsung generations, and got tired of the bloatware, so I went with the MXPE. I'm happy, but would have liked faster updates, better battery, etc.

Other than a Pixel, which I refuse to pay, are there better alternatives with pure android?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz