Has the moto x pure on att received the nougat update? Still waiting.

A

AC Question

Trying to decide if i should install lineage os or wait for the official update.

RevG

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I've been running Lineage 14.1 on my Moto X Pure for the past few weeks and have really been enjoying it...go for it

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Trying to decide if i should install lineage os or wait for the official update.
As Ry stated, the official Nougat update is not available to the general public yet.

Unofficially, it is still in the testing stages for MFN users (I am not in this test, so I am not bound by NDA)... It is has been a rough month or so with 3 updates to testers and the ROM is still buggy, or so I heard. The official "soak test" (a larger release to a test audience of the anticipated official build) is anticipated to begin in mid-June.

Just so you know, this device is unlocked and all updates come directly from Motorola... Although carriers have to approve it for use on their network, they do not regulate who gets the update on these types of devices (like Nexus/Pixel or Apple devices), so your carrier does not matter although they can purposely block an update. To my knowledge AT&T does not do this though, but T-Mobile and Sprint users report it quite a bit that they need to remove their SIM card and reboot in order to get notified of the update.

Motorola OTA updates are not handed out by region (within an identical product variant), carrier, or anything else... it is a random allotment of IMEI or Serial numbers usually spread out over a few weeks. For example, if you have a Retail_Clark device (Moto X Pure Edition for North America) and the update is available to your IMEI/SN, it won't matter if you are in New York, Florida, Texas, California, or even England or India, or who your carrier is.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As Ry stated, the official Nougat update is not available to the general public yet.

Unofficially, it is still in the testing stages for MFN users (I am not in this test, so I am not bound by NDA)... It is has been a rough month or so with 3 updates to testers and the ROM is still buggy, or so I heard. The official "soak test" (a larger release to a test audience of the anticipated official build) is anticipated to begin in mid-June.

Just so you know, this device is unlocked and all updates come directly from Motorola... Although carriers have to approve it for use on their network, they do not regulate who gets the update on these types of devices (like Nexus/Pixel or Apple devices), so your carrier does not matter although they can purposely block an update. To my knowledge AT&T does not do this though, but T-Mobile and Sprint users report it quite a bit that they need to remove their SIM card and reboot in order to get notified of the update.

Motorola OTA updates are not handed out by region (within an identical product variant), carrier, or anything else... it is a random allotment of IMEI or Serial numbers usually spread out over a few weeks. For example, if you have a Retail_Clark device (Moto X Pure Edition for North America) and the update is available to your IMEI/SN, it won't matter if you are in New York, Florida, Texas, California, or even England or India, or who your carrier is.

Bravo!

Though soak test tests the deployment of the actual final build, not the anticipated final build. :)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
haven't heard of Lineage before... what is it?
Lineage is the new CyanogenMod ROM... after Cyanogen folded the remnants of it became LineageOS and the project continued.

Not to turn this into a ROM A is better than ROM B thread, but honestly, if I was going to go 3rd party ROM I would look on XDA's developer's section for clark (the Moto X Pure/Style), or other independent ROM's not allowed on XDA like BrokenOS or Dirty Unicorns. Lineage/CM is not the only game in town and definitely not the "best" for most people.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Lineage is the new CyanogenMod ROM... after Cyanogen folded the remnants of it became LineageOS and the project continued.

Not to turn this into a ROM A is better than ROM B thread, but honestly, if I was going to go 3rd party ROM I would look on XDA's developer's section for clark (the Moto X Pure/Style), or othera independent ROM's not allowed on XDA like BrokenOS or Dirty Unicorns. Lineage/CM is not the only game in town and definitely not the "best" for most people.

This is great, thanks! I knew of CyanogenMod, but haven't ever installed it. If N isn't released soon I might try this.

RK928

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, I guess we can now safely assume that the Moto X PE will not be getting any more updates. We'll be lucky if we get another security update. This really stinks, especially since Motorola has been telling us since the fourth quarter of 2016 that the Nougat update was imminent.

Problem is, even though I said because of this I'd never buy another Motorola phone, I bought an HTC U11 and I was so disappointed in just 2 days that I gave it to my wife, who immediately dropped it and broke the screen.

I realized I liked and use the Moto notifications screen so much that it is a "must have" feature on a phone, so now I'm waiting to see what the new Moto X will be like. I do have to say though, my Moto X PE is built like a tank and it's never given me a problem. I just wish Motorola would be better with updates.

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, I guess we can now safely assume that the Moto X PE will not be getting any more updates. We'll be lucky if we get another security update. This really stinks, especially since Motorola has been telling us since the fourth quarter of 2016 that the Nougat update was imminent.

Problem is, even though I said because of this I'd never buy another Motorola phone, I bought an HTC U11 and I was so disappointed in just 2 days that I gave it to my wife, who immediately dropped it and broke the screen.

I realized I liked and use the Moto notifications screen so much that it is a "must have" feature on a phone, so now I'm waiting to see what the new Moto X will be like. I do have to say though, my Moto X PE is built like a tank and it's never given me a problem. I just wish Motorola would be better with updates.

Relax, it's coming.... Patience my friend...

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

what didn't you like about the U11?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

what didn't you like about the U11?

I am curious about this as well... reviews rave about this device, not that it's perfect but it's so well rounded and has no significant negatives on any front it shines to the head of the pack. Arguably the best camera available in a smartphone, great battery life (8 hours SOT average), sound quality is fantastic, radios are fantastic, great performance, usable "gimmicks" (yes, I mean the squeeze), and more, with the only real downside I can see being the lack of a headphone jack and the cost, if it was $150-$200 less I would own already (we had one in our test bench, was pretty impressed actually).

What were your issues?!?!

On a side note... that Moto active display is great, I love it, but it is part of why our battery is so bad. Disable it (an all those Moto tricks) and watch your average SOT increase 10-25%.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Wrong assumption

Cesar_AH

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
I still haven't received Nougat update for my Moto X PE. I remember many good reviews about this phone and its updates. It's a great phone but I'm really disappointed about the Nougat delay. I just wonder why it's taking so long...

beandaddy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't received Nougat update for my Moto X PE. I remember many good reviews about this phone and its updates. It's a great phone but I'm really disappointed about the Nougat delay. I just wonder why it's taking so long...

same here. I've abandoned the xpe out of necessity, gone back to Samsung, the s8+. I'll never buy another Motorola or Lenovo phone and expect to use it for more than 12 months, meaning (at best) it'll be a killer deal for a great price and just a stop gap phone waiting for the next Google phone or Samsung.
I've got to tell you, my mxpe was requiring a charge 4-5 times a day. the s8+ is lasting me a full day on one charge... I use my phone all but solely, and I'm a retired programmer... so I spend hours a day on my phone using the network connections.
I was hoping to wait for the note 8 or pixel xl 2,but after a painful vacation carrying two battery backups through security multiple times a day in federal buildings in DC I was ready to bury the xpe. it was ok for the first year, but just ok.

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I'll probably be moving to the OnePlus 5 soon, but I might hold out a little bit longer since the phone still works. However, I will definitely never own nor recommend any motorola phone in the future. Absolutely pathetic support considering all the hype and lies about "Fast Updates" that they put behind the phone at launch. "Unlocked" and "Fast Updates" what a joke.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Updates for the previous generation are always slower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21