Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 76
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    from pelebkf over at XDA: "Edit the main APN "T-Mobile US LTE" and add ",dun" to the end of the "APN type" (so the it should say "default,mms,supl,hipri,fota,dun") then save it."
    Just tried this on my stock, unrooted, XT1053, and it worked like a charm.
    Last edited by cq1125; 02-23-2014 at 11:46 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Quote Originally Posted by cq1125 View Post
    from pelebkf over at XDA: "Edit the main APN "T-Mobile US LTE" and add ",dun" to the end of the "APN type" (so the it should say "default,mms,supl,hipri,fots,dun") then save it."
    Just tried this on my stock, unrooted, XT1053, and it worked like a charm.
    Wow...it works. Thanks !!!!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by David Coconut View Post
    Wow...it works. Thanks !!!!
    FYI...I think you had a typo. FOTA not FOTS.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Quote Originally Posted by David Coconut View Post
    FYI...I think you had a typo. FOTA not FOTS.
    Yep sorry.... Fixed. Glad it worked!


    Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    I'm using it right now. My iPad Air is tethered to my Moto X. I don't require it too frequently but it's sure nice to finally have it working.

    Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    I'm on Verizon but seeing posts like this make me hopeful that vzw motos are next.

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  
    kjhee43's Avatar

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaingo5150 View Post
    I'm on Verizon but seeing posts like this make me hopeful that vzw motos are next.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Agreed. I dont want to get into rooting just for free tethering. A workaround like this for VZW would be great,
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    I came across the same issue using AirVoice - adding 'dun' to the APN. I never considered it a workaround though... I just considered it "proper configuration".

    Regardless of what you call it, it's good to know.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Quote Originally Posted by David Coconut View Post
    FYI...I think you had a typo. FOTA not FOTS.
    I am new to setting these things up, but my APN Type shows "Not set"

    I can Tether (unlimited data) just fine as it is, so, should I add in that line anyway?
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    If it ain't broke don't fix. Lol

    Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    cq1125 likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Forgive my ignorance please, but how do you append the APN type?? Where can I even see that?

    Thanks.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Quote Originally Posted by robtani View Post
    Forgive my ignorance please, but how do you append the APN type?? Where can I even see that?

    Thanks.
    If you want to edit an existing T-Mobile LTE APN, go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> More... -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names -> Then just tap on the fast.t-mobile.com one to open it for editing -> then hit APN type (it's closer to the bottom of the list) and add ,dun to the end.
    Thanked by:
    Rob220 
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Thanks for your instruction, I mention it in my other thread here: *Updated* How to re-enable Tethering on KitKat. (New method on T-Mobile without root.)
    cq1125 likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Quote Originally Posted by cq1125 View Post
    If you want to edit an existing T-Mobile LTE APN, go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> More... -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names -> Then just tap on the fast.t-mobile.com one to open it for editing -> then hit APN type (it's closer to the bottom of the list) and add ,dun to the end.
    Thank you!
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Is there an equivalent solution for Sprint?
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Uhm my buddy has sprint he doesn't have any restrictions on his tethering.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    With Sprint, a Nexus 5 bought directly from Google isn't blocked from activating the Bluetooth and Wifi hotspots.
    You can actually connect the devices to it without a problem.
    Accessing the internet from a hotspot connected device is another story.
    It doesn't work. It's blocked.
    Was hoping someone else had run into these and had a solution for it.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Tethering is working great on my gsm unlocked on at&t

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    How do you know the tethering is unrestricted after doing this? What indicates that it is?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    After you go over your Hotspot data limit it doesn't cut off.

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Newman View Post
    After you go over your Hotspot data limit it doesn't cut off.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Ah, okay. Wasn't sure if there was something else.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Quote Originally Posted by cartman#AC View Post
    With Sprint, a Nexus 5 bought directly from Google isn't blocked from activating the Bluetooth and Wifi hotspots.
    You can actually connect the devices to it without a problem.
    Accessing the internet from a hotspot connected device is another story.
    It doesn't work. It's blocked.
    Was hoping someone else had run into these and had a solution for it.
    I have Sprint too and it would be nice to be able to do something like this. I tried PDAnet. It would connect my devices with BT but not work.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    This does not work for T-Mobile anymore.

    Posted via Android Central App
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Newman View Post
    This does not work for T-Mobile anymore.
    Still works for me...

    Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Even when you go over the data cap?

    Posted via Android Central App
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

    Awesome!! Also works with MetroPCS whose GSM phones run on T-Mobile network. $60 unlimited LTE w/ tax and fees included and now tethering is there a better deal out there.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No option for multiple user
    By Mmstick101 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-22-2014, 05:31 PM
  2. hdmi cable worked once then no sound
    By writermanuk in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 07:37 AM
  3. No Twitter and Instagram notifications?
    By fotyc in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 08:04 AM
  4. Reboot Loop (no bootloader?)
    By Alexa Danielle Miller in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 08:36 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 07:14 PM

Posting Permissions