Moto X: 4.4.2 root

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
So if I have a Sprint phone, I could root it, but I'd have to unlock the bootloader and void the warranty, first?

Maybe I will wait until the warranty expires. I don't really need root.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
OK, "the honeymoon is over"....I want my root!

Where is the "bounty" thread to help support someone finding a way to root VZW 4.4.2???

And frankly, since "root" means a lot of different things to different people when it comes to android phones, I'll clarify that all I want is superuser capability -- which is what I call root, but I don't need an unlocked bootloader to load custom ROMs...unfortunately, many times an unlocked bootloader is what is required to facilitate the root/superuser access in the ROM.
There is a bounty thread on XDA...

For the X, you need both Root and Write Protection disable. Having write protection disabled means that any changes you make to /system or the other protected areas in the file system are retained after power off. For example... If you have root, you could install SuperUser, Adaway, change your build.prop, etc. But when write protection is enabled, power the phone off/on, and those changes are lost, and SuperUser app and the others are gone.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: 4.4.2 root

No, not Motorola. Verizon. Moto's customers are the carriers, not us. Motorola does what the carriers ask them to do. Verizon insists on locked bootloaders and closing the exploits.
Well, you can buy the "Developer Version" for Verizon, which is unlocked (or virtually so)...maybe Verizon doesn't officially provide support for that phone if you buy that version, and you have to get hardware support directly from Moto -- software support you're on your own? Either way, I probably should've thought of that and spent a few extra bucks for that version. Hindsight is 20/20.

avenged73

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Head over to xda and Chek out the moto x general forum. There are ways to unlock your bootloader now. Cost is 42.00.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Bummer for those that didn't jump on it.

As a related question, anyone know what this Moto update is I just got (and did not download yet) called "Motorola Boot Services"? Should I avoid that and assume it will break my rooted phone (though I highly doubt they have a way of re-locking the phone remotely, permanently)?

-AJ

avenged73

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
That's for the developer edition only. If you have a non developer edition you have to do it on the down low. Unfortunately the codes are no longer available.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

Has anyone done this?

Or is everyone doing it on the downlow?

Posted via Android Central App

That's for the developer edition only. If you have a non developer edition you have to do it on the down low. Unfortunately the codes are no longer available.

Actually, I think that moto link works for any non AT*T or VZW moto x phone, dev phone or not; albeit with the understanding that Motorola will no longer warranty the phone if you do it, unless you have a "dev" edition; then the warranty still applies.

The China method (that is now defunct) delivered the code that this website delivers, but for AT&T or VZW non-dev phones, because AT&T & VZW have asked Motorola not to provide the codes for their non-dev phones.

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Developer comes with a unlocked boot loader so that wouldn't make sense.

avenged73

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Developer comes with a unlocked boot loader so that wouldn't make sense.

Actually the developer edition comes locked, you have to go to that site to get your unlock code to unlock them. A friend of mine picked up a dev edition and I helped him unlock it. I got my unlock code through China middle man.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon