Please explain rooting

r p3

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
and why would you do it ?
i have a very weak idea but would like to know the benifits, i read a thread that seems to make it easy with the install of a couple of apps.
thanks in advance for any info

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
and why would you do it ?
i have a very weak idea but would like to know the benifits, i read a thread that seems to make it easy with the install of a couple of apps.
thanks in advance for any info
First, if you have a Moto X on 4.4.2 with a bootloader that can't be unlocked, you can't do it.

If you have an unlockable bootloader or are still on 4.4 you can still do it. But if your bootloader is locked you aren't installing apps to do it. You are taking advantage of security vulnerabilities and installing exploits. It's a much more straightforward procedure if your bootloader is unlockable.

Root = root access and what it means is you have access to certain protected partitions on the flash storage (i.e., hard drive) of the device, notably, the system partition where the operating system is. So once you have root access you can see most of the hidden partitions on the flash storage. You still won't be able to see the boot partition with root access, although you can flash to it.

But for root access to be useful to you, you also need to be able to disable write protection on the protected partitions so that you can write to them.

Benefits are that you can make changes to the operating system files and this allows you to do things with your phone you wouldn't otherwise be allowed to do.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
With 4.4.2 Rooting is not so easy. Google have made it harder to do and for good reason, in my opinion.

The term "Root," comes from the Linux operating system on which Android is based. The basic and ALL encompassing control comes from the Root Operator. As Root, or at Root pretty much anything can be done to alter all aspects of the operating system. To an experienced Linux/Android person this is almost essential if one like to look around and dabble. By experienced I mean programmers with many years understanding of the C-Language and Linux.

Having Root access is almost certainly deadly in the hands if any lesser experienced person. The term "Bricked" came about as a direct result of people messing with stuff they think they understand or worse, read from a website and then purporting to know what they were doing.

I have been programming for 35+ years, Proficient in C and many other languages including Z80 / x86 Assembler, I have a good understanding of Linux at Root and a small amount with Android - AND - I have no intention of Rooting my X Dev edition, or Tablets. Caveat Emptor. :)

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
With 4.4.2 Rooting is not so easy. Google have made it harder to do and for good reason, in my opinion.
If you have an unlocked bootloader, 4.4.2 is just as easy to root as any other version of Android. If your bootloader cannot be unlocked, you cannot root your Moto X at this time. So if you have the former, rooting is no different on 4.4.2 than it was on 4.4. or 4.2.2. If you have the latter, it is not that it is not easy on 4.4.2, it is that it is currently impossible.

Having Root access is almost certainly deadly in the hands if any lesser experienced person.
yes, you can screw up your phone if you do stupid things, but it is a way over the top overstatement to say it is almost certainly deadly.

I have no intention of Rooting my X Dev edition
Complete waste to get a Dev Ed, then. You should have just gotten a Moto Maker Moto X and customized it.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Complete waste to get a Dev Ed, then. You should have just gotten a Moto Maker Moto X and customized it.

And you know everything about me, how? Did you not read "programmer" in the post? I assumed that meant developer when I purchased.

Also, anything that can be done identically for two or more anythings by the manufacturer, cars, boats, phones cannot be called "customized." Customized means one-off, custom made for a single customer. You can certainly get personalized cars, boats phones etc. :)

Stay calm. Hoooommmmmmm

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
thank you very much, guess a novice like me had better leave things as they are
Do you have an unlockable bootloader? If you do and unlock the bootloader, it is darn near impossible to brick your phone. Don't let people who don't know what they are talking about spook you.

r p3

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Do you have an unlockable bootloader? If you do and unlock the bootloader, it is darn near impossible to brick your phone. Don't let people who don't know what they are talking about spook you.

i don't think so, i read somewhere an ATT phone is unlockable. by the way my phone is running 4.4

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
i don't think so, i read somewhere an ATT phone is unlockable. by the way my phone is running 4.4
If your phone is branded ATT, its bootloader is not unlockable. But if you have the GSM unlocked Dev Ed or the Tmobile Moto Maker running on ATT, the bootloader is unlockable.

If you have an ATT branded Moto X running 4.4, there is still time to root it using SlapMyMoto before ATT pushes the 4.4.2 update. The main reason people with the phones that do not have an unlockable bootloader like root is because you can WiFi tether for free if you are rooted. But since there is no root for 4.4.2 if your bootloader is locked, you would need to either stay on 4.4 and not update to 4.4.2 to maintain write protection disabled or give it up and update or keep the bootloader on 4.4. and selectively flash the 4.4.2 system when the 4.4.2 factory images are released.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I am another waste of one. I dont see the need. I actually might have customized one to look like this but it was all could get on cyber Monday that was a nightmare. I was able to get the DE in the shopping cart so I hit buy! I also thought resale value might be a bit more if I didn't like it. Who knows... Since I wasted a phone... I wonder what other wasteful things I've done in life? Lol

Posted via my Moto X DE

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The fact of the matter is rooting does open up more doors for your device in customizing. Much more than simple apps can do, even though launchers have made leaps and bounds for non rooted users.

But, if one chooses to root, not only look up and fully understand how, but know how to unroot, and common fixes for hiccups. Accept full responsibility for anything that can go wrong. I would highly suggest avoiding root programs and toolkits for the first time. The 'long way' invaluably teaches you how to use your phone in ways most people have no knowledge of.

I do have to say this: No guts, no glory.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Meant to enclose a screenshot of customizing that only root can bring.

Note the color, and centered clock, and circle battery icon.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Attachments

• 1393969665683.jpg
    1393969665683.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 29