Should I root my Moto X?

ONLYuseBB10

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
as the title says: should i root it?

Give me a mountain, I'll climb it. Give me a Katy Perry song, I'll sing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: should i root my moto x?

Depends on what you want to do with it. There are a few things that don't require root, so unless you specifically want some root-only feature, then there's no need for it

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

ONLYuseBB10

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

what can i do when i've rooted my device? i mean i don't need a root to customize my phone.

FSRBIKER

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site

Unlocking and rooting a Developer Edition DOES NOT void your warranty. Root is useful to be able to use the app Titanium Backup, with this app you can backup individual apps and their data. This becomes very useful if an app update is buggy as you can fall back to the earlier version, also backing up game/app data & settings keeps your progress safe.

I also use Xposed Framework with the Gravity Box module, this allows for alot of customization of the software without losing any of the Motorola built in features. Think of it as creating your own custom rom on top of the stock software that can be simply switched off then reboot and you are back to stock.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Rooting allows you (and the apps you run) root, or in Windows parlance "Administrator" access to your phone.

This can be good, in that restore apps have access to write to areas they don't themselves own, allowing them to restore application settings. It can also be good in that customization apps are allowed to make modification to system files that they wouldn't have access to unrooted.

This can be bad in that any app can also write to any area on the system, so you need to be more aware of what applications you use and where they are from.

Rooting can also change the behavior of over-the-air system upgrade scripts from your carrier, which usually do not anticipate your being rooted. This can cause problems with those.

If you are asking "should I root my phone because rooting is the best way to run my device?" the answer is an emphatic "HELL, NO!!!!"

If you are asking "I need to be able to restore application settings from a backup I made or want to change the startup animation of my phone, etc" the answer is "Yes, you'll need root to do these things, just understand the risks."

ONLYuseBB10

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the pros and cons! i think i won't do it, because there aren't that many advantages for me

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
As much as I can tell, the custom roms for kit Kat 4.2 .2 add a little customization, but not a whole heck of a lot. I mean for example, people use to root the device for the battery percentage in the battery meter, in kit Kat though the source code is already there for you to enable it. You just have to go download battery percentage for Kit Kat from the Play Store and it'll be there.

Posted via Android Central App

Rodrigator

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I deleted by accident the "storage/emulated/0" android file from the computer and all media disappeared, if I root my New Moto X could I find my deleted Photos???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anon247