Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

Default Moto X: Want to Root

I'm an Rogers and want to Root.

Any advice or direction

Optimizing my Moto X
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-17-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Default Re: Want to Root.

I believe there is no methid to root yet on 4.4.2, so I would make sure you are running 4.4

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    mekano 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

Default Re: Moto X: Want to Root

Thanks for the heads up.

Optimizing my Moto X

There is video where person who record it say that this method works for Moto X 4.4.2 I didn't test it, so you can do that but I won't take any responsibility for errors and mistakes :P
    Thanked by:
    mekano 

Scroll down to the Rooting section, read around XDA a bit more on the subject:
    [INDEX][REF][GUIDE][RESOURCE] Welcome to your Motorola Moto X - Resource Guide - xda-developers
    Thanked by:
    mekano 
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

How do downgrade to 4.4. I don't believe Rogers ever released it. Rogers went from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 I believe.

Optimizing my Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by mekano View Post
    How do downgrade to 4.4. I don't believe Rogers ever released it. Rogers went from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 I believe.

Optimizing my Moto X
    Can't downgrade once you've gotten 4.4.2. I wouldn't worry though. I'm sure it'll be out sometime soon if its not already. Once it does, ill be on the rooting boat myself.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Kobushi View Post

There is video where person who record it say that this method works for Moto X 4.4.2 I didn't test it, so you can do that but I won't take any responsibility for errors and mistakes :P
    It works if your bootloader is unlocked. But it does not work if the bootloader can't be unlocked.
    My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Quote Originally Posted by mekano View Post
    Due to changes in the bootloader, GPT.BIN and other parts included with 4.4.2, under certain circumstances when trying to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4 or lower, you could either brick your phone, or set it up to brick in the future when you take an upgrade. So it is suggested you just stick with what is on your phone once you get on 4.4.2!! i.e. do NOT attempt to downgrade from 4.4.2 to anything lower.

If Moto's web site doesn't give unlock codes for your phone (or you don't want to void your warranty), and want to Root 4.4.2, then take a read of what I posted here -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...oto-x-t2726909
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
    Can't downgrade once you've gotten 4.4.2. I wouldn't worry though. I'm sure it'll be out sometime soon if its not already. Once it does, ill be on the rooting boat myself.
    Unfortunately, it wont be anytime soon if you have a locked bootloader. JCASE has already posted he has an exploit to use to gain root on 4.4.2, but due to job and family, wont release it or a process making use of it until the fall. Who knows what ROM Moto will push out by then, and if they will have patched the exploit already. BUT before you get mad at JCASE for waiting so long, that doesn't address a Write Protection dis-abler. I've not seen any talk about work on that for locked bootloaders (when you unlock the bootloader, like on Dev Editions, the write protection is disabled). So JCASE could release his Root exploit, he or someone could develop that process, but it would be kind of useless without the ability to disable write protection since all your changes would be lost as soon as you power off/on.
    My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-