Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Default Rooted Moto X Standard Edition from 4.4 to 4.4.2

Hey Guys,
    I spent 7 hours (could do some on my mac, then had to borrow a PC, etc) rooting my non-dev versions of my Verizon Moto-X in order to get the hotspot unlocked. I am grandfathered in to unlimited data.

I am currently running 4.4 and would like to update to the vanilla'est 4.4.2 there is. I am however afraid I will lose root and/or hotspot capabilities.

Can you guys give me some help? I am a noob and I really don't have 7 hours to spend rooting this phone again

Thanks!

Default Re: Rooted Moto X Standard Edition from 4.4 to 4.4.2

I am currently seeing you can't but will keep you updated.

Default Re: Rooted Moto X Standard Edition from 4.4 to 4.4.2

For Android 4.4 or lower on an X with a Locked Bootloader, Root is done via SlapMyMoto exploit/process, and write protection is disabled via the MotoWpNoMo process. They rely on downgrading and taking advantage of vulnerabilities which existed in the 4.2.2 ROM. If you've used these processes, and then take the 4.4.2 OTA update, you'll usually keep root, but will lose Write Protection Disable which MotoWpNoMo gave us.

If your X already has 4.4.2, you can't root it or disable write protection. The 4.4.2 ROM and update patches the exploits used by SlapMyMoto and MotoWpNoMo.

And that won't change anytime soon, if ever.

On XDA there is a thread about the bootloader unlock being available again from the Chinese website/middleman. You could try that.
    My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-