Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark_Venture
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question what happens when OTAs come once rooted/unlocked?

Sounds like VZ (amongst other carriers) is pushing a 4.4.3 OTA.

Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations as to what we should do to prepare our phones if they're rooted/unlocked so we can receive the OTA and keep root in as painless a situation as possible?

Thanks,
    AJ

Default Re: what happens when OTAs come once rooted/unlocked?

You really shouldn't accept an OTA if you're rooted/unlocked. Flash a stock rooted ROM so you don't get the notification and just flash a ROM update when it comes out. Devs usually have updates ready before carriers do anyway
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That's a very valid point. I may have been lazy when I unlocked my phone. I have to reach into some brain cells that beer probably killed-off to remember exactly what I did.

Thanks for the quick reply.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by aweber1nj View Post
    I have to reach into some brain cells that beer probably killed-off to remember exactly what I did.
    Probably bad form to reply to my own post, but...looks like I d/l'ed the stock ROM (probably the developer model/version) and installed that post-unlock. Wonder how VZ will "see" that?

Unless it's been changed around by the dev I doubt VZW will notice.....lol
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Interestingly enough, the OTA is supposed to be 4.4.3, and all the ROMs I see on XDA are 4.4.2-based, so Moto is actually ahead of the field here.

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    You really shouldn't accept an OTA if you're rooted/unlocked. Flash a stock rooted ROM so you don't get the notification and just flash a ROM update when it comes out. Devs usually have updates ready before carriers do anyway
    That would be more true for those with a Locked Bootloader who have rooted.
    My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Quote Originally Posted by aweber1nj View Post
    Sounds like VZ (amongst other carriers) is pushing a 4.4.3 OTA.

Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations as to what we should do to prepare our phones if they're rooted/unlocked so we can receive the OTA and keep root in as painless a situation as possible?

Thanks,
    AJ
    If you are bootloader unlocked and rooted, you'll be OK to take an OTA and re-root later, BUT there are conditions to this.

You need stock recovery to install an OTA. If you don't have it, you'll get stuck in a boot loop. (boot to recovery and erase cache to get out of it)

The OTA will look for certain files (by comparing check sums) to be on your phone. If they are not there, or are not the check sum they expect, it will fail. So you need to be as close to "stock" as possible. You have to put back any BLOAT you might have deleted, renamed, etc. Undo any build.prop changes, or other mods.

Really, rather than retype.. Please just read -> Mark_Venture's Verizon Phone Info Page
    My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Thanked by:
    jj2me 
    jj2me likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Is there a known setting or app that will auto-decline an OTA for me so I don't have to deal with it in the case VZ sends it? (Or I get offered it and I fat-finger the wrong "OK" / "Not Now" buttons?)

Thanks again,
    AJ

EDIT: I feel like I asked this exact same question before (probably for a different phone)...is there some existing app/service I should disable with Ti Backup that will effectively just never check for OTAs or something?

If you are rooted.. yes. Find the 3C_OTA.APK and rename it to... 3C_OTA.APK.BAK and reboot. its in /system/app or /system/priv-app

I don't recall what it is called to freeze with Ti Backup
    My Moto X tips and info

Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Got it. Thanks very much for the tip!

-AJ