Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
The size seems to be awesome, the screen seems to be excellent and the camera finally seems promising (will await more reviews to judge that, of course). The only thing I still wish they had done was bump the battery up just a little bit more.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

The size is a touch big for me. I would have preferred 5.5 inches to 5.7. Other than that I do like it, though I was hoping for IPX7 all around.

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

Battery size and no finger print scanner. I still may end up getting one.

Posted via the Android Central App

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

The size is a touch big for me. I would have preferred 5.5 inches to 5.7. Other than that I do like it, though I was hoping for IPX7 all around.

In-hand, feels about the same as the 2014 X (just about the same width).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I was hoping for a dual X release, but more had in mind a hybrid (5.5"+) and a standard size phone (5-5.3"). 5.7" Is a bit big for me. Sadly, I might pass this year.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

It may just be the event(thanks moto for actually having one this year), but I am stupid excited. I was not planing to buy one at all, but 400$ for this beast is a steal. If the camera really is good, then moto just hit a home run.

My only reservation is with the size. It may be too big for me. I have been wanting to try a big phone though. Maybe I can convince my wife to take my 2014 X ;)

Sent from my XT1096

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Play Edition on verizon sold it for me.

I could have gone for a little smaller. Although I used a nexus 6 and note 4 without too much complaint.

I hope the camera is as good as they are hyping it in the real world.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I might JUST be able to handle it, but it'll have to go nekkid, no case. I wonder if the backs are user-swappable...

I think it's unlikely the backs will be swappable, if the last two generations are any indication.

The size makes me sad, at least for a first impression. I love the size of the current X, but at over 6" long the Style is over a half inch bigger than the current X (and a little wider). That's significant. For those who like big phones, great. For others like me, not so much.

I'll have to see how the camera and battery life pan out before I decide if I'm upgrading or not. My X is chugging along just fine, so unless the camera is amazing (equivalent to the iPhone 6/Galaxy S6/LG G4), I'll probably pass.

Edit: Why the screen change? That makes no sense. :(

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I have a Droid Maxx (32GB) that just still works. Verizon Contract ends in Sept., but I have grandfathered UDP. I'll be curious about the pricing for the 32 GB and 64 GB models, but with SD card support, that's a little less important.

So, initial likes:
Cross-carrier GPe, so if I do go to another carrier, I don't have to change phones
Also, no carrier bloatware
Camera (want to see actual samples)
SD Card support
Battery above 2500 mAH
Turbo Charging

Truly neutral on Moto Maker; I've been OK with plan black phones. If the wait and cost aren't out of line, I'd go for it.

Initial Mehs:
No Qi charging (I don't really use it anyway)
No IPX7 water resistance
Size (width about the same as the Maxx, depth, hmmm and an extra 1/2" length, hmmmm)

No initial deal-breakers. I am reluctant to call "FAIL" on anything until I either handle it for myself or see some reviews from sites I trust.

I would like to have seen the X Play also with the same availability for true choice.

gaddang2

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I love the price point and micro SD slot. Would have been nice if the X- play battery was in this phone instead of vice versa. It's not a deal breaker though. I'm gonna assume the battery life will be on par or slightly better than the Nexus 6, i'm so getting this phone. After selling my Turbo, the Style will probably only cost me a $100 to a $150 dollars which is awesome. I'm also hoping that person who reviewed the camera was right.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Battery not large enough, and lack of stabilization for the camera. If it had the battery from the Play, and the OIS from the nexus 6, it would have been a complete win. Sadly, those 2 items will probably keep me from it.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

No OIS on the camera either :-/

But it still ranked 3rd place on dpreview with an 83. The S6 is currently in 1st place but only scored 3 more points at 86 which leads me to believe OIS while great, is probably overhyped. I'm unwilling to bother considering OIS a deal maker or breaker.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on the Moto X Style?

Not only is it too big,but 3000MaH is not enough for a QHD screen of that size.

And the lack of an AMOLED display is the real deal breaker. How the heck are they going to implement active display efficiently? I've grown so dependent on active display, definitely my favorite feature in any phone I've owned.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Not a fan of the size or the screen type. Early sample shots with the camera look promising. Price is good, too. Not going to pass final judgment until I see some reviews and how the phone performs in real world conditions.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Also, I used to have an Xperia Z1s, and that used a TFT display. Viewing angles were absolutely horrendous.