Moto X Style: Software updates?

bstarr3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How, if at all, will being unlocked affect software updates for the moto x style? Will we still have to get updates through the carrier?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Software updates?

If there isn't a carrier specific variant then the updates will come from Motorola. Which it sounds like the case here.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

With the nexus 6 the latest update (the first unified build across all carriers except t mobile i believe) was pushed 3 weeks later to phones with a Verizon sim in them than nexus 6's with a USC or sprint sim, even though the update version was identical, and even later to nexus 6's with an at&t sim i believe. We may end up in a situation like that with the 2015 X as well. The only ways to get the update faster if you were on verizon was to sideload it or pull your sim and factory reset and boot without the sim in it (obviously not ideal for small incremental updates).

I'm not sure why that is exactly that the update was so delayed to verizon sim'd nexus 6s.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

The only thing that makes me hesitate is how Motorola is going to push an update to Verizon devices when Verizon's radio packages are proprietary. It seems like us Verizon users could get into a pickle because of that one tiny little major problem? Or did the recent FCC changes shift something?

KachowPow

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

From what I've been reading, if this device continues on the path of a non-carrier branded device updates should be directly pushed to the device direct from Motorola and by-pass the carriers (fastest updating method.) Which I would imagine devices purchased via non-carrier or "sim free" (no carrier pre-installed sim cards) through sites like Motorola and Amazon (not sure about Best Buy) these would be Moto updated (possibly regional updates.) I would think carrier subsidized or branded devices, may come pre-installed with carrier bloatware much like the Motorola Nexus devices, in which case the carriers may have input or control over pushing device updates. Its been a while since, I've had carrier branded device.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

As far as I know neither Motorola nor Google ever said anything official about the process of pushing updates to Nexus 6 phones on heavy-handed carriers like Verizon and AT&T, but there was/is definitely a difference. Once the first update hits pure edition devices we'll know pretty quickly if some carriers have restricted that process (through agreement with motorola or whatever).

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

The only thing that makes me hesitate is how Motorola is going to push an update to Verizon devices when Verizon's radio packages are proprietary. It seems like us Verizon users could get into a pickle because of that one tiny little major problem? Or did the recent FCC changes shift something?

Motorola has already overcome the radio issue with the Nexus 6 that they made. There are different radio versions (as usual) for the Nexus 6, and some might prefer one to the other for Verizon, and some have been released in connection with the Verizon "branded" (sold) Nexus 6. But the reality is that somehow or other the Nexus 6 has worked on Verizon, including CDMA, from day 1 - months before it was officially sold by Verizon - the one caveat was that you needed to have an active SIM.

I think that the proprietary CDMA radio files aren't Verizon's but Qualcomm's (they own the CDMA patent). I would guess Google/Motorola licensed the CDMA radio files for the Nexus 6, and are planning on doing the same for the Pure. I would guess that as CDMA is getting phased out, Qualcomm is lowering its licensing fees for CDMA

Interestingly, the first few months of the Nexus 6, Verizon employees weren't much help in getting an active SIM, however, closer to the actual release of the Nexus 6 by VZW, there were reports some employees actually helped customers get an active sim (activating the SIM on an alternative that the employee would procure, then switching that sim to the customer's non-VZW Nexus 6). Whether that represents a change in policy, or more education of the employee, or just employees showing initiative - I don't know - but it will be interesting to see if VZW employees are helpful in activating SIMs creatively for the Motorola Pure. The fact that Motorola and VZW have a great relationship for the Droid line makes me optimistic that the employees may be helpful in activating SIMs for the Pure.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Clocks has pegged it.
Having AT&T I was getting pretty PO'ed seeing other people with carrier versions of the Nexus 6 get their updates before I was with my unlocked Nexus 6 w/AT&T Sim.
I also had to pull my AT&T Sim and factory reset to get updates when they became available. I would be very surprised if that wasn't the same with the Pure 2015.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Clocks has pegged it.
Having AT&T I was getting pretty PO'ed seeing other people with carrier versions of the Nexus 6 get their updates before I was with my unlocked Nexus 6 w/AT&T Sim.
I also had to pull my AT&T Sim and factory reset to get updates when they became available. I would be very surprised if that wasn't the same with the Pure 2015.

I think it truly might be different with the Moto X 2015. Google had to give up something to get carriers to sell the Nexus 6 because as we all know most carriers would never just agree to carry a phone because customers want it. Since the new Moto X won't be sold direct by any carrier I would like to think this might finally be a phone from a major Android maker to have zero carrier control over the update process. Here is hoping at least.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

I Since the new Moto X won't be sold direct by any carrier I would like to think this might finally be a phone from a major Android maker to have zero carrier control over the update process. Here is hoping at least.

Don't hope: ALL updates will come DIRECTLY from Motorola.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Don't hope: ALL updates will come DIRECTLY from Motorola.
How are you sure? And just because they come from moto's servers doesn't prevent a carrier delay? Or am I wrong?

I'm surprised verizon would completely give up any control for this one device only.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

How are you sure? And just because they come from moto's servers doesn't prevent a carrier delay? Or am I wrong?

I'm surprised verizon would completely give up any control for this one device only.

How would the carrier delay an update that doesn't involve them?

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site

My Nexus 6 was unlocked and purchased from Motorola and had nothing whatsoever to do with any carriers. Once I put that AT&T SIM in the phone and used the phone, AT&T blocked access to any OTA updates until they released them. I had to pull the SIM, wipe the phone and reboot to get the first update google pushed out. So yes, AT&T held up the updates when it didn't even concern them, as to why the only answer I can give is Spite lol. I truly hope these updates will get to my new X right away when they are released but considering the history of the Nexus phone I doubt that will be the case.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

My Nexus 6 was unlocked and purchased from Motorola and had nothing whatsoever to do with any carriers. Once I put that AT&T SIM in the phone and used the phone, AT&T blocked access to any OTA updates until they released them. I had to pull the SIM, wipe the phone and reboot to get the first update google pushed out. So yes, AT&T held up the updates when it didn't even concern them, as to why the only answer I can give is Spite lol. I truly hope these updates will get to my new X right away when they are released but considering the history of the Nexus phone I doubt that will be the case.

Did it even do this when trying to do the OTA over wifi?

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

I buy all my my phones network free and I have a 1st gen Moto G, which has gone all the way from JB 4.3 to LL 5.02 so far directly from Motorola.

When a manufacturer releases an update to the SW and you're on a carrier locked network, the carriers have to specify "tweaks" to it so they can add there own crap on to it which causes further delays and potential problems. Plus, they may decide not to even bother updating it at all after a certain life cycle to tempt you to upgrade your phone.

Trust me, you will get a quicker update from the manufacturer and with no additional network crap on your phone.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

How would the carrier delay an update that doesn't involve them?
I'm wondering if there is some agreement like verizon only agreed to activate them if they got to approve the updates or something like that. There is a delay in nexus 6 updates for Verizon sims so clearly the possibility exists.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I get that Verizon is the devil and does every evil thing it can to rip it customers off, since I was a long time, and happily former Verizon customer I can say this is long overdue.

Simply put Apple does this with every software update, so if they can do it Motorola can do it. Clearly Apple has access to the proprietary code and yes I know that they can extort the carriers all they want by refusing sales, etc but Apple likes money.

So Verizon gets customers, no hassle with software or support since its not a carrier phone and Motorola does the updates. Right now I have an ASUS ZenFone 2 on AT&T not a carrier phone, popped in a nano SIM on a nano to micro SIM adapter and voila I am off to the races.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if Apple waits until it has all of the carriers approval before they release the updates? Apple has only one version to test (granted some different models) so it would seem to me that it would be much easier. Android has Touch-wiz, LG, HTC, Moto ad nauseam. I have had VZW employees say that the reason they want such extensive testing is to make sure it isn't going to harm the Network. That does have some validity. I really want a pure on VZW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781