Moto X Pure Edition: Various Reviews

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Moto X Pure Edition review: the third time really is the charm

Interesting review. It did make me pause from jumping on and ordering one right away however.

I wasn't thrilled to see such a strong opinion that the 808 processor is a bit slower than the 810. But more importantly didn't like modest positives expressed over the camera and the battery life concerns.

I'm going to keep reading some reviews hopefully over the next few days before jumping in. The only real competitor to consider in my mind will be the new Nexus phones supposedly announcing later this month but that means waiting at least a month to upgrade from my G3.

Overall - the review was a bit of a bummer. Would have been great to see it a bit more positive.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure Edition: Engadget Review

They did give it a 90, which is a pretty damn good score though. Some of these tech writers have some funny begrudging writing styles. Also they didn't actually post any low light samples, as far as I can tell (or perhaps they are acceptable to me)...

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Obviously I don't have the phone, but it seems like it was a reasonably balanced review. It's not realistic to expect its camera to be as good as the Note 5/S6, but it's pretty darn good. Nor is it reasonable to expect the screen to be at that level. I do agree that the battery was a concern, especially with the difference to the G4. But I too look forward to more reviews.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

so I guess reviews couldn't be published until 2pm CDT when the phone went on pre-order. I guess Moto wanted us early adopters to buy before we could read about it ;)

EDIT: also, this review re-inforced my decision to get cognac leather. I love the look of it and the texture of it!

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Reviews have pretty much looked better than any other phone really. The general consensus is that the low light camera performance and the battery not being amazing are the two negatives... Followed by a processor that isn't exactly future proofed. Otherwise it seems to be amazing all around.

I took a leap of faith and ordered. Can't wait. :)

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Reviews have pretty much looked better than any other phone really. The general consensus is that the low light camera performance and the battery not being amazing are the two negatives... Followed by a processor that isn't exactly future proofed. Otherwise it seems to be amazing all around.

I took a leap of faith and ordered. Can't wait. :)

Cons: Camera, Battery Life, and questionable processor. You just highlighted the 3 most important aspects of any phone.

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Cons: Camera, Battery Life, and questionable processor. You just highlighted the 3 most important aspects of any phone.

Yeah, I'm glad I was still hee-hawing between the Oneplus Two and Moto X, and those three things were the 3 biggest things I was worrying about the Moto X. I just ordered a Oneplus Two.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

true, but with my flagship Galaxy S6, only one of those are a Pro.... the camera. Sure, the processor is a beast but doesn't matter because my phone crawls to a halt with lag due to TouchWiz. Reboots help but shouldn't be an issue with the processor/RAM combo in the GS6. And battery life sucks on the GS6. From the reviews I read, it seems like I could get a full day use out of the Pure edition. I guess we'll see!

If I end up keeping my GS6 over my Pure Edition, it'll likely be due to size (Pure MIGHT be too big) and camera. But for most situations, it looks like the new Pure has a much better camera than Moto X's in the past.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

They all say the camera is excellent. One of the best in the market. The battery is on par with most of the best phones, just not better. And the processor is again, on par with the top of the line phones except the Note 5 (which will probably even out because of Samsung's crappy software). In other words... Those cons are hardly cons.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I just read a couple of other reviews along with the Engadget one... Well, apparently, this phone is no game-changer. And as you said, Mr. Rosen, it's on par with other flagships. 'On par' alone is all that's needed I suppose for it to be enticing, since it appears the positives will be 'slimmer' UI, Motomaker customization, and of course the price. But as the Gizmodo reviewer put it, I'm also a bit disappointed that this phone is not future-proof whatsoever. Average processor, no fingerprint scanner, no USB-C.

Oh yea.. and the battery life appears to be 'meh':
From Engadget Review: 'It only lasted about nine hours looping a 720p video with WiFi on and screen brightness set to 50 percent. In comparison, the LG G4 managed nearly 11 hours with similar specs. I'm still trying to figure out what's causing this gap, and I'll update this review with any new findings."

What's to figure out? It's a larger QHD screen than the LG G4, but the same size battery (3,000mah).

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

The reviews seem pretty good, good enough that I do not regret the preorder at all. The only issues with the reviews seem to be is the X keeps getting compared to the S6 and G4 and Note5 and some reviews ding it and mention over and over again that it just isn't as good as those phones in the screen, camera and battery life area. Well, duh. You're comparing a $400 phone to phones that run $700-$1,000+.

The reviews do seem a little inconsistent with performance, some say stutters and some say smooth, so that's the only big nagging issue that seems to have cropped up. Everything else seems to indicate it's a very good phone for what it is, a mid range $400 phone.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

I just read a couple of other reviews along with the Engadget one... Well, apparently, this phone is no game-changer. And as you said, Mr. Rosen, it's on par with other flagships. 'On par' alone is all that's needed I suppose for it to be enticing, since it appears the positives will be 'slimmer' UI, Motomaker customization, and of course the price. But as the Gizmodo reviewer put it, I'm also a bit disappointed that this phone is not future-proof whatsoever. Average processor, no fingerprint scanner, no USB-C.

Oh yea.. and the battery life appears to be 'meh':
From Engadget Review: 'It only lasted about nine hours looping a 720p video with WiFi on and screen brightness set to 50 percent. In comparison, the LG G4 managed nearly 11 hours with similar specs. I'm still trying to figure out what's causing this gap, and I'll update this review with any new findings."

What's to figure out? It's a larger QHD screen than the LG G4, but the same size battery (3,000mah).

but then he also says the battery lasts him a full day and he seems like a heavy user. Real world results matter more than a looped video test in my opinion. Now, the question is, will it last me a full day? The GS6 can't, my iPhone 6 barely could.

"The X's 3,000mAh battery generally does a good job holding out throughout the day. My slightly ridiculous workdays are well-documented in these reviews, and the Moto X usually survived a 14-hour onslaught of Slack messages and YouTube videos with about 30 percent still left in the tank. I've never had an issue with the battery dying prematurely on me"

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

The battery life was lower than I expected. I also never thought the software performance would be not "snappy". (Based on what Verge said) I still think it will be nice upgrade from Nexus 5.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

My Note 4 gets like 6-8 hours haha, so if it really lasts 8am-10pm like that one reviewer said), I'd be ecstatic :)

And yea, I really wasn't looking for a game changer with this phone. I was looking for all the stuff I want in a phone all rolled into one and it really is the only phone out there that has it. Every other phone either is too small, too big, not enough storage, not good enough processor, not good enough camera, etc etc etc... Moto X Pure seems to be "at least good enough" on every single front and that's what I want. We'll find out on the 15th :) haha

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Bottom Line:

Moto X has the best software of any flagship. GS6/Note5 and LGG4 have better cameras, but Moto X is closing the gap. As for battery life, it doesn't seem like any of the current generation of phones have great battery life...

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Reading the reviews I am really not sure about this phone as the reviews are just ok but not as good as I expected, the battery life isn't great and after having an LG G3 with the Quad screen and same size battery and only getting 3 hours of sot I didn't hold out much hope for the battery life on the style. as for the camera it seems fine in good light but in low light it doesn't perform well but the camera isn't that important to me but battery life is, so I am going to wait as I am in no rush to replace my Xperia Z3.

Samsung.Galaxy.S3

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I don't care much for the camera. I mean, it's a phone and not a camera. The only things important to me are battery life, unlocked, and external sdcard. :)