Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,191 Global Posts

Default Re: If this phone doesn't have any flashy features will you still get this instead of HTC/Samsung?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in Bristol View Post
    Wellll...till they release 5.0, perhaps?
    But Google Play Services runs as far back as Android 2.2.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Default Re: If this phone doesn't have any flashy features will you still get this instead of HTC/Samsung?

If Motorola came with some new features I'd get it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Here's the thing with that. Google is able to update Google Play services. Essentially, an app can gain new functionality with an update to Google Play services. But take two devices, one running 4.0.4 and one running 4.2.2. That app will have access to all the new things in Google Play services yet the people on 4.0.4 will "feel" they're not up to date.

Oh and it's still more than just "skins".
    did they change Google Now so that it runs on pre-jellybean devices now? I haven't seen anything to indicate so. I imagine that would be a pretty major announcement so I don't think I missed it

Thx X would be my #1 choice if it's got:

Comparable quality Screen and Cameras. (To other flagship level devices)
    Lightly skinned or stock
    Razr Maxx type battery
    4.7ish screen size
    Solid radios (not much doubt of that at least)
    On VZW

Of all the stuff the GS4 and One hit with, I'd only be interested in Zoe. The rest, I'm glad to see go.

I'm really hoping Moto comes through on this one for me, as I'm not overly excited about either the GS4 or the One, and would have a tough time going with one of them as my new device for the year.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post

Lightly skinned or stock
    Razr Maxx type battery
    4.7ish screen size
    On VZW

Of all the stuff the GS4 and One hit with, I'd only be interested in Zoe. The rest, I'm glad to see go.

I'm really hoping Moto comes through on this one for me, as I'm not overly excited about either the GS4 or the One, and would have a tough time going with one of them as my new device for the year.
    So.. the only thing they haven't hinted at from this is the screen size. Everything else seems like it's a "given" on the rumored specs list. Sounds like this has a good chance of meeting your criteria. For that matter, the Razr Maxx is pretty close to your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Rule9 View Post
    did they change Google Now so that it runs on pre-jellybean devices now? I haven't seen anything to indicate so. I imagine that would be a pretty major announcement so I don't think I missed it
    4.1+ and iOS only still as of today.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

bp3dots likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,191 Global Posts

Google Now is still a Jelly Bean exclusive on Android.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    So.. the only thing they haven't hinted at from this is the screen size. Everything else seems like it's a "given" on the rumored specs list. Sounds like this has a good chance of meeting your criteria. For that matter, the Razr Maxx is pretty close to your list.
    Yeah, I almost jumped on the Maxx, but My Gnex was still in good shape when it launched. By the time I had to replace the Nex (it took a swim without insurance) I grabbed an S3 to hold me through the summer. Probably will be easier to sell when I'm ready.

I'm guessing Moto won't go bigger than 5, which I can deal with I think, as long as they keep the dimensions tight.
    Last edited by bp3dots; 06-06-2013 at 01:48 AM.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Google Now is still a Jelly Bean exclusive on Android.
    In that case my previous point is the same. There are still some groundbreaking features in new OS updates that can't come through Play Services updates. I understand this isn't an issue you care about which is fine, however it is for me.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,191 Global Posts

In that case my previous point is the same. There are still some groundbreaking features in new OS updates that can't come through Play Services updates. I understand this isn't an issue you care about which is fine, however it is for me.
    There was a time when new Gmail features were exclusive to ICS.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post

Lightly skinned or stock
    Razr Maxx type battery
    4.7ish screen size
    On VZW

Exactly what I'm looking for. Love my Galaxy Nexus, but the battery life isn't the greatest (and I have the extended one, plus an extra). Here's hoping that it's released by sooner rather than later!
    Moto X (Olive Green, Black front, Orange accents (Dec. 2013)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Dec. 2011) - Droid X (July 2010) - Blackberry Tour 9630 (July 2009) - Dumbphones (pre-July 2009)
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

There was a time when new Gmail features were exclusive to ICS.
    Don't get me wrong, if the OS itself could be indefinitely updated in this new fashion that'd be awesome for all of us! Unfortunately some newly introduced features of a major kind will still need to be baked right into the OS itself. The movement of API's has mitigated the influence of carriers for a lot of things though, so it's still an improvement.

I'd buy it if it was nothing more than the Motorola take on a modern phone.
    Essentially the S3 and Razr HD have the same basic internals.
    I have owned nothing but Motorola smart phones since I switched to Android.
    Droid X -> Droid Bionic -> Droid Razr -> Razr Maxx -> Razr HD

I'm a simple man with simple needs....I stay a Moto fan for reception. So it wouldnt matter to me about about the features.

Over the past few years I tried to use other phones....and Moto stayed/stays my daily phone. I have a 3 line family plan and I do wanna get the GS4 and One too.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

It looks like Moto has leaked at least one "feature" so far. Apparently they're implementing some kind of location recognition (not meaning GPS location) so that the phone can automatically tell if it's being taken out of pocket, or in a moving vehicle etc and change it's state accordingly. ie screen comes on when you take it out of pocket etc. I kind of like that, so I don't have to keep pushing the power button to wake my phone up every time I pull it out. Hopefully they put some good old Motorola Maxx battery goodness in this phone because I imagine that'll be a drain. I think they did mention some kind of battery life improvements though. No source sorry guys, I heard it on the radio and I think it was part of the D11.

It looks like Moto has leaked at least one "feature" so far. Apparently they're implementing some kind of location recognition (not meaning GPS location) so that the phone can automatically tell if it's being taken out of pocket, or in a moving vehicle etc and change it's state accordingly. ie screen comes on when you take it out of pocket etc. I kind of like that, so I don't have to keep pushing the power button to wake my phone up every time I pull it out. Hopefully they put some good old Motorola Maxx battery goodness in this phone because I imagine that'll be a drain. I think they did mention some kind of battery life improvements though. No source sorry guys, I heard it on the radio and I think it was part of the D11.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dcunited08 View Post

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    thanks, there's a few giveaways in that interview too:

The processors are from Taiwan; the OLED screens are from Korea, Woodside said. But 70 percent of assembly will occur in Texas
    So I'm guessing a CPU made in Taiwan though I'm not sure which because I think there's a lot that are not by Taiwanese companies but are manufactured there. Even Intel has some made in Taiwan. The screen: supplied by Samsung maybe?

Other big unsolved problems: Screens that break and short battery life.
    yes!

Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My first android device was G1 and since then I have had HTC Thundserbolt, HTC One S and currently S3 plus Nexus 7. After having all those devices I sort at a cross roads with feature rich software and minamalistic stock android.

I like stock android on my Nexus 7 but prefer touch wiz on my phone. However I find stock android needs add the most popular touchwiz and sense features and widgets in Google's minimalistic fashion. That said I do find feature rich software over bearing and seems they go for quantity rather than quality and necessity.

I have had two devices with stock android and three with OEM ui. I feel stock android is almost where I want it to be where I can leave OEM ui behind.

I am extremely excited for the Moto X and hope it's a stock android experience or a very minimalistic feature rich ui.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Yes, I need the moto radios. Where I work no other phone has the reception of my hd maxx, have check them side by each.

Posted via Android Central App

This might sound crazy, but I'm going to wait for actual concrete details about this phone before making any kinds of decisions with it in mind.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,191 Global Posts

The Moto X will apparently feature a Clear Pixel camera with gesture controls. Without further information on this, the only thing we can do is speculate that maybe it will have bigger pixels than normal, akin to what weve seen in the HTC One. Or maybe it will come with optical image stabilization, which seems to be all the rage right now among smartphone makers. Or both.

One thing is certain (at least according to the aforementioned source): dark, blurry pictures will be a thing of the past with this camera. Thats been promised by phone makers so many times already that were really having trouble believing such a claim right now. But lets wait and see, maybe Motorola will be able to surprise.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Let's pretend this phone has specs that are basically equal to the One and S4, but is pretty close to stock for the UI, a roughly equal camera performance and is built as nicely as Moto usually builds their phones, BUT doesn't have flashy features like Blinkfeed, Beats, or the various S4 features like eye scrolling air gestures etc, would you still buy it over the other 2? If yes, why?
    I would. The reason is because the device would be cheaper and less costly.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

And also, I would not have to root to remove any bloatwares that was 'invited' with my new device.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The Clear Pixel camera sounds brand spanking new, but its actually not a very new technology. Its a Kodak imaging sensor design that can take more light in than other camera sensors. While normal cameras take in a specific color, panchromatic, clear pixel sensors take in all wavelengths of visible light, effectively taking in three times more light.

The Clear Pixel camera uses a mix of clear pixels and standard pixels. This design can be adapted to all sorts of devices, and it seems that Motorola is now using it. And we know its real, because it has been patented. And there was a time that Google bought a lot of Kodak patents, so Motorola may be getting it from Google.

I'm not a fan of TouchWiz or Sense so if Motorola came out with a phone that competed at the same level as the GS4 and One, I'd definitely give it a good look. I've always loved the build quality of Motorola phones and their recent return to almost stock Android is refreshing. Less code added onto the base OS typically means less bugs and faster updates.

Yep. Motorola phones are super tough.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast