Motorola shows off first ad for Moto X Phone, teases a phone ?designed by you?

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps I'm a little bit uninformed or oblivious to something in the ad, but what of the ad and Motorola's press release has given a lot of people the indication that the Moto X will be 'customizable' from a hardware standpoint? To me, when I read the ad, I interpreted it as coming from a software standpoint.

Of course Android is already highly customizable, but I still do not feel like it is easy enough for the average consumer to do without doing a bit of digging for information. I figured that the whole 'designed by you' message meant a very easy and simple way to customize the software on your phone entirely - from color schemes to where things are placed to how you interact with things - without downloading six apps from the Play Store or having to root your device.

I feel like, in many respects, customizable hardware will indeed attract a lot of consumers - but won't be appealing to the consumers Google and Android have yet to fully capitalize on: first and second time smartphone buyers. Many of them are already on Android but need to be convinced not to make the jump elsewhere. On top of that, others went to IOS or lesser known platforms and have been hearing a lot about Android and want to try it out. What outside of different colors would really be all that appealing to the consumer? Yes, a potentially lower price point - but few consumers are versed in the nuances of RAM, PPI, etc. I feel like most of them will merely ask a store representative for tips, who will then direct them to the very specs that high-end phones like the S4 and One have.

Again, perhaps I've been a little bit uninformed or oblivious to something here, but I'm a little bit skeptical that the hardware will be all that customizable - I feel like Motorola was more so referencing the software. I do believe it will be a hybrid situation where common elements of the hardware are customizable via different colors or batteries (at the same time, coming with easily customizable software), but I don't think it will be as advanced with regards to hardware customization as some have suggested.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps I'm a little bit uninformed or oblivious to something in the ad, but what of the ad and Motorola's press release has given a lot of people the indication that the Moto X will be 'customizable' from a hardware standpoint? To me, when I read the ad, I interpreted it as coming from a software standpoint.

Of course Android is already highly customizable, but I still do not feel like it is easy enough for the average consumer to do without doing a bit of digging for information. I figured that the whole 'designed by you' message meant a very easy and simple way to customize the software on your phone entirely - from color schemes to where things are placed to how you interact with things - without downloading six apps from the Play Store or having to root your device.

I feel like, in many respects, customizable hardware will indeed attract a lot of consumers - but won't be appealing to the consumers Google and Android have yet to fully capitalize on: first and second time smartphone buyers. Many of them are already on Android but need to be convinced not to make the jump elsewhere. On top of that, others went to IOS or lesser known platforms and have been hearing a lot about Android and want to try it out. What outside of different colors would really be all that appealing to the consumer? Yes, a potentially lower price point - but few consumers are versed in the nuances of RAM, PPI, etc. I feel like most of them will merely ask a store representative for tips, who will then direct them to the very specs that high-end phones like the S4 and One have.

Again, perhaps I've been a little bit uninformed or oblivious to something here, but I'm a little bit skeptical that the hardware will be all that customizable - I feel like Motorola was more so referencing the software. I do believe it will be a hybrid situation where common elements of the hardware are customizable via different colors or batteries (at the same time, coming with easily customizable software), but I don't think it will be as advanced with regards to hardware customization as some have suggested.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

My guess an irresponsible blogger caught wind of the word customize on an important person's Google+ post and made an assumption of hardware being the customizable part.

Then Android fanboys ran with it.

Posted via Android Central App

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My guess an irresponsible blogger caught wind of the word customize on an important person's Google+ post and made an assumption of hardware being the customizable part.

Then Android fanboys ran with it.

My guess is Guy Kawasaki's obviously hinting YT video.

But I guess some people don't believe Google when they talk about themselves.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I really hope there's more to this phone than what's been leaked. The phone sounds extremely underwhelming.

Everything that's leaked points to a mid-range phone at best. Not a competitor to the iPhone 5S/iPhone 6 and the Galaxy S4 that the Moto CEO had mentioned.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I really hope there's more to this phone than what's been leaked. The phone sounds extremely underwhelming.

Everything that's leaked points to a mid-range phone at best. Not a competitor to the iPhone 5S/iPhone 6 and the Galaxy S4 that the Moto CEO had mentioned.

What's the iPhone 5S? Did I miss the iPhone 6 announcement?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
What's the iPhone 5S? Did I miss the iPhone 6 announcement?

No it hasn't been announced, but there will be a new iPhone this year, and not knowing what it will be called, I just named it the iPhone 5S/6.

This Moto X phone is supposed to compete with Apple's new iPhone 5S/6 and the Galaxy S4, but all we've seen is a mid-range device with some crummy customisation options.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I think people would be happy with external customization without internal customization of it had flagship internals. If it was a customizable HTC One or S4 equivalent then that is fine internals. Just that these specifications are middling.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No it hasn't been announced, but there will be a new iPhone this year, and not knowing what it will be called, I just named it the iPhone 5S/6.

This Moto X phone is supposed to compete with Apple's new iPhone 5S/6 and the Galaxy S4, but all we've seen is a mid-range device with some crummy customisation options.

The next iPhone isn't a competitor yet.

And the specs for iPhones aren't really comparable as they run radically different operating systems.

For example, compare the iPhone 5's battery mAh to the S4's battery. S4 wins the spec, but the spec isn't entirely comparable.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The next iPhone isn't a competitor yet.

And the specs for iPhones aren't really comparable as they run radically different operating systems.

For example, compare the iPhone 5's battery mAh to the S4's battery. S4 wins the spec, but the spec isn't entirely comparable.

That has less to do with the OS than it has to do with the screen size. A 5" 1080p iPhone with a 1440 mAh battery would have terrible battery life.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus line is not necessary if Motorola makes "stock" Android devices exclusively.

Motorola phones running stock android would not be end of the Nexus line only if Motorola allowed developers to code same as on Nexus device. Nexus devices are stock android devices open for the developers to explore. A device running stock android does not turn in to a Nexus device. The device must follow other criteria to be Nexus device that is more than just running stock android.
I

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola phones running stock android would not be end of the Nexus line only if Motorola allowed developers to code same as on Nexus device. Nexus devices are stock android devices open for the developers to explore. A device running stock android does not turn in to a Nexus device. The device must follow other criteria to be Nexus device that is more than just running stock android.
I

Please clarify which developers you are referring to.

The ones making apps for the platform are more relevant than the developers making ROMs for devices.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Please clarify which developers you are referring to.

The ones making apps for the platform are more relevant than the developers making ROMs for devices.

Does it make differences in what I am saying? I can see my point needs clarification. I am simply trying to stating a Nexus device is able to be used as a tool to develop software for android. In actuality that is one Google primary purposes for the Nexus line is for the to developers to develop and push android. Now if you have a stock motorola device running android that does not allow you to develop software for then there is still a need for the Nexus line.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does it make differences in what I am saying? I can see my point needs clarification. I am simply trying to stating a Nexus device is able to be used as a tool to develop software for android. In actuality that is one Google primary purposes for the Nexus line is for the to developers to develop and push android. Now if you have a stock motorola device running android that does not allow you to develop software for then there is still a need for the Nexus line.

With one checkbox, I can proceed to install any APK on my DROID Bionic. If I've developed it correctly and the install is successful, I can now test on Android 4.1.2.

Now I can grab a Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play edition. Check that same box. Install my APK. Now that I can test my app against an Android 4.2.2 environment.

Same with an HTC One Google Play edition.

There will be even more devices out there for Android application developers if Motorola launches the MOTO X running the most current Android base. And the X phone should have wider distribution than the Nexus 4.

As an app developer, there is less of a need for a Nexus line.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re-watching this video.

While it makes mention of Porsche's history of performance upgrades, most of the items shown off were cosmetic.

Yes at about 1:50 it mentions that program started with performance upgrades. From this page looks like they still do:
New Porsche Exclusive Program
But perhaps its taking the analogy too far. But the with Porsche Exclusive you can start with different cars such as a 911, Cayman, Panamera so I hope that is what the Moto X is a line of phones that can be customized. Like the Razr has the M, and the Maxx. I wish the Moto X is a line of phones consisting of a middling 4.3", a flagship 4.9" and an Note 3 competitor 5.7" all with exterior customization.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It'd be awesome if they used an idea I mentioned a couple of years ago where they came with stock Android but were greeted with a setup guide on first boot to add optional 'manufacturer' software customization packages.

In fact, I wish all Android devices were setup this way.

I'd honestly settle for a no holds barred Nexus device on every network. I just don't understand why manufacturers haven't realized how much better and smoother a Nexus device truly is.

Last edited:

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd honestly settle for a no holds barred Nexus device on every network. I just don't understand why manufacturers haven't realized how much better and smoother a Nexus device truly is.

True, but it's all about product differentiation. If the OS looked the same across all devices, it'd be harder for manufacturers to make their phones "stand out" from their competitors to the average consumer. Samsung wants you to see a phone and know it's a Samsung phone, HTC wants you to see a phone and know it's an HTC phone, etc. Otherwise, at first glance, every phone would just look like a generic Android phone. Yanno?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
With one checkbox, I can proceed to install any APK on my DROID Bionic. If I've developed it correctly and the install is successful, I can now test on Android 4.1.2.

Now I can grab a Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play edition. Check that same box. Install my APK. Now that I can test my app against an Android 4.2.2 environment.

Same with an HTC One Google Play edition.

There will be even more devices out there for Android application developers if Motorola launches the MOTO X running the most current Android base. And the X phone should have wider distribution than the Nexus 4.

As an app developer, there is less of a need for a Nexus line.

Elaborate on this "one check box" because I don't understand what you mean?

Cause what your saying seem app developers can take any android device and develop apps on?

If yes then the nexus line is already not needed but why do still seem to be pinicale device for android developers?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I too hope the specs are just for the base model because otherwise it would be about a year behind for a flag ship phone. Leo Laporte mentioned that he was invited to a Motorola/Google event by Guy Kawasaki (Motorola) on July 10-11, perhaps this is the unveiling. Timing would be about right. I hadn't heard anything from Phil regarding this event. I hope you can customize more than just color. My dream configuration:
5.7" 1080 screen
Removable battery >16 hr battery life
Wireless charging
NFC
Fastest processor there is
Kevlar or Carbon Fiber back (something that isn't finger print magnet and won't scratch)
Soft rubber covered corners
Titanium edges
All external parts removable/changeable in case something gets broken or scratched.

Sounds good... now make it a google phone w 4G on VZW with at least 2 gig ram/32 gb rom.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It'd be awesome if they used an idea I mentioned a couple of years ago where they came with stock Android but were greeted with a setup guide on first boot to add optional 'manufacturer' software customization packages.

In fact, I wish all Android devices were setup this way.

It's got to be a conspiracy. The one decent Nexus had a terrible radio that never got much better. Since then 3G Nexus? Are you kidding me? Nexus lovers are the type who need state of the art hardware!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet