Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
Like Tree50Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    NoNexus's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

    Default You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    The specs were pretty much leaked all over. We knew going into today what they were gonna be.
    The look was leaked all over, and lo and behold it is pretty much dead on.
    You knew it was going to be on all US carriers, you know what goes along with that. Only the Gnex escaped the wrath of the carriers (bloat) and even that did not come away unscathed. This includes locked bootloaders. It has yet be seen how locked down they are, but I wouldnt bet (especially if you are on Verizon) that they are going to be all that easy to unlock.

    Price: The minute you heard that this was a flagship phone, you HAD to know that it was going to be priced the same as a SGS4 or a HTC One. There were never going to be subsidies. If you thought otherwise, you just were fooling yourself. Google Owns Moto Mobility. This is true, but even though they are part of the same company, they COULD NOT subsidize the phone. Motorola still has to make money. Google is not going to eat the bottom line forever.

    Even more than that, Google COULD NOT subsidize the phone even if they wanted to. For the final sale to go through, Google had to promise that Motorola would get no special treatment. None. Not on Pricing, not on early access, NONE. This is for 5 years from the date of sale.

    Will you see a Moto Nexus? Sure if they beat out the competition in a fair and unbiased fight. But the fight has to be fair.

    Blur was always going to be a part of the equation. It is Motorola. Making it pure Android could be considered an "unfair advantage" and go against the agreement I linked to above. I will be honest, I am not sure what exactly is included and not included as far as Blur extras (I havent really seen much) but the point of this phone is quite simply to show that you can have a full featured phone, with a skin that runs beautifully on 6 month old hardware. Blur is there and the features are there, but this should be fast as anything, and as intuitive as people feel Vanilla Android is.

    You might see a GPe Moto X, I feel that you surely will. Don't expect the price to be any different than the GPe One or SGS4. It won't be and you will just be setting yourself up for more disappointment. Same thing goes for the Developer edition.

    Where you have every right to be pissed is the dumb exclusive stuff with ATT. I don't care if it is a day or a year, that is a major mess up in almost everyone's opinion. 16 and 32GB as well as customization right off the bat on all carriers. That is how it should have been done. But someone at ATT really threw money (or blackmailed) the brass at Moto for this one. I am guessing it has something to do with the Razr line being exclusive to VZW and ATT threatening that they needed a bone.

    Don't expect to see Google suck down any costs associated with Motorola from here on out for at least 4 years, if ever. It cannot happen. Would Google really give up China to pay for you to take a phone? I think not.

    Personally, this was never on my radar so I really have no dog in this race. I have been holing out to see what the Honami, G2 and Note 3 bring to the table before burning the upgrade I have.

    In the end, this phone should send some serious thoughts through the industry. Assemble it in the US and cut the skins down to size, you can still have a great phone without bolted on extras (Samsung). It also might help to curb the "numbers game" with extra cores, higher clock speeds and stuff like that.
  2. #2  
    Scott Kenyon's Avatar

    Posts
    2,167 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    GPe Moto X would be awful. You'll pay more, and lose all the features. You'd be better off buying a Nexus 4 from the Play Store. Pretty much the same thing.

    Sent from my HTC One with MoDaCo.SWITCH Beta 8 using Mobile Nations mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    NoNexus's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Your right but there will be a segment that wants it. I know the Verge is the only one saying that it is coming but I have to think that most flagships will be going this route from here on out
  4. #4  

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    I think the release of price/full specs on the Moto X just remind us how great of a deal the Nexus 4 really is.

    Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
    Thanked by:
    Roundpotato and Dan Saleem like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    I respectfully disagree. I'm pretty pissed at Google right now.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    Thanked by:
    Roundpotato likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I'm pretty pissed at Google right now.
    Lol and why is that?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    NoNexus's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    The comment below is in response to the Nexus comment a few up from this post:

    Not really. If Google wasn't footing the bill, it would be priced the same way the X is.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    Lol and why is that?
    Because they took last year's device, added some "moto magic" and now are gonna market the hell out of it to get people to buy it. So basically, they pulled an Apple. This is a nice device but it is not a 2013 flagship Android device, but they're acting like it is and treating us like we're sheep.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    Thanked by:
    Roundpotato likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    Because they took last year's device, added some "moto magic" and now are gonna market the hell out of it to get people to buy it. So basically, they pulled an Apple. This is a nice device but it is not a 2013 flagship Android device, but they're acting like it is and treating us like we're sheep.
    You have to realize the irony and hypocrisy of your statement... I mean look at your signature....
    Thanked by:
    bp3dots and ultravisitor like this.
  10. #10  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    This is a nice device but it is not a 2013 flagship Android device
    Other than the screen resolution and number of cores, it matches or beats specs on most devices it is being compared to and handily beats several on software. It's not the God Phone that everyone wanted for $5 off contract, but it is definitely in a league with the S4 and One for user experience, if not on the spec sheet.

    Smaller battery, but way better battery life (advertised, yet to be tested). Less MP on the camera than the S4, but (again advertised) better camera quality, 2 cores instead of 4, but meeting performance closely in controlled tests and exceeding speed and fluidity in the OS because of optimization, etc.

    The conversation doesn't stop at the spec sheet, that's just a tiny subject of the entire experience. These are the arguments that cause people to call the iPhone and Nexus devices midrange, despite their dominance on the user experience side of things in their respective markets. Would it have been nicer at a lower price? Maybe... but what wouldn't?

    This device did not live up to the wishes, but it isn't a trash heap device by any means and has some clear benefits over the competition that are very relevant. What device has ever lived up to the wishes of tech blog commentors?

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

    Thanked by 2:
    Lanzeelus and msndrstood like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    NoNexus's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    Because they took last year's device, added some "moto magic" and now are gonna market the hell out of it to get people to buy it. So basically, they pulled an Apple. This is a nice device but it is not a 2013 flagship Android device, but they're acting like it is and treating us like we're sheep.
    There are some very important differences in how things are handled, the trimming of Blur and a few other nuisances that you are apparently missing out on because you are watching the spec sheet. This phone isnt about the hardware, it is the software.

    Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    You have to realize the irony and hypocrisy of your statement... I mean look at your signature....
    THIS
  12. #12  

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    You have to realize the irony and hypocrisy of your statement... I mean look at your signature....
    Umm...where did I mention specs in my complaint?
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    Thanked by:
    Roundpotato likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNexus View Post
    There are some very important differences in how things are handled, the trimming of Blur and a few other nuisances that you are apparently missing out on because you are watching the spec sheet. This phone isnt about the hardware, it is the software.



    THIS
    What specs am I watching? Please tell me because I don't remember mentioning any
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    Thanked by:
    Roundpotato likes this.
  14. #14  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    In what way is it last year's device?

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    NoNexus's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    Because they took last year's device, added some "moto magic" and now are gonna market the hell out of it to get people to buy it. So basically, they pulled an Apple. This is a nice device but it is not a 2013 flagship Android device, but they're acting like it is and treating us like we're sheep.
    If you are not looking a specs, then please explain this statement.
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNexus View Post
    If you are not looking a specs, then please explain this statement.
    Look at Samsung. People say some of their stuff is gimmicky, but Samsung is innovating. Look at HTC, they're innovating. What is innovative about the X? Android flagships should be about innovating. For this being the second half of 2013, what is innovative about this phone? They made iphone-esque "improvements" over what is already existing but brought absolutely nothing new that is even a slight game changer.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    Thanked by:
    Roundpotato likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    NoNexus's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Yes but the software optimization is the innovation. They have proven that you can have a full featured phone, with a skin, and give it tremendous battery life and a smooth user experience without cutting corners. You can add to the vanilla android without sacrificing performance.

    I am sure that there are a few more tricks in the software itself, including more about the always on feature, that we havent heard about because there has not really been enough "hands on time"
  18. #18  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    Look at Samsung. People say some of their stuff is gimmicky, but Samsung is innovating. Look at HTC, they're innovating. What is innovative about the X? Android flagships should be about innovating. For this being the second half of 2013, what is innovative about this phone? They made iphone-esque "improvements" over what is already existing but brought absolutely nothing new that is even a slight game changer.
    Zoes are the only thing from the two manufacturers that you mentioned that I consider remotely innovative. As for the Moto, they're pushing performance boundaries instead of just bumping specs and hoping for a win, increasing battery life, camera quality and the communication functions of the device (not sure about how well this is executed, but you can see the direction)... you know, the things that people constantly ask for.

    You don't want to have to worry about a charger, you don't want to take 5 pictures hoping 1 is a winner and you want your phone to understand what you want and accomplish it efficiently. That's what they're doing. It's not really innovation... it's refinement. That's what Android 4.3 and 5.0 are both about.

    I'm not really sure what you mean by innovation, but we clearly have a different understanding of the strategies surrounding the products and I'm not sure you are trying to grasp the implications of what this device means as a first step towards a much better Android.

    I think we can use one question to help this along. Do you think the S4 is a better device than the Nexus 4, vice versa, or that they're relatively even?

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  19. #19  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    I'm not suggesting the Moto X is the best phone out there, better than the S4, etc. I'm really saying that experience is not captured by the spec sheet. The S4 and the Moto X are really two distinct philosophies, despite both being on Android and I love that the distinction is there.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  20. #20  

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Zoes are the only thing from the two manufacturers that you mentioned that I consider remotely innovative. As for the Moto, they're pushing performance boundaries instead of just bumping specs and hoping for a win, increasing battery life, camera quality and the communication functions of the device (not sure about how well this is executed, but you can see the direction)... you know, the things that people constantly ask for.

    You don't want to have to worry about a charger, you don't want to take 5 pictures hoping 1 is a winner and you want your phone to understand what you want and accomplish it efficiently. That's what they're doing. It's not really innovation... it's refinement. That's what Android 4.3 and 5.0 are both about.

    I'm not really sure what you mean by innovation, but we clearly have a different understanding of the strategies surrounding the products and I'm not sure you are trying to grasp the implications of what this device means as a first step towards a much better Android.

    I think we can use one question to help this along. Do you think the S4 is a better device than the Nexus 4, vice versa, or that they're relatively even?
    Touchless gestures, eyetracking, front facing speakers...I could go on. Some might say they were gimmicky, but they are definitely innovative.
    as for the X pushing performance boundaries there are smartphones with better battery life(and we don't even know if it really gets the life they say it will) Early impressions of the camera haven't been favorable. And the always on feature was innovative when it was done in google glass, less innovative for the Xbox, and not at all innovative now.
    I'm not gonna argue about it being refinement. They are saying "other phones do this, we just do it better" that sounds exactly like something some company out of Cupertino would say. And i don't see how appleizing Android will make it better.
    I've used the S4 but never used the Nexus 4 so I can't comment on that.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    Thanked by:
    Roundpotato likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    NoNexus's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    there is not another phone, with that battery size, that will make the claim of 24 hours of usage.

    The S4 might as well be called the SGS3s, because that is pretty much what it is, but the SGS3 was pretty innovative. There is nothing innovative if someone else did it before you did. You can be an improvement, but not necessarily and innovator (touchless gestures, eye tracking, front speakers). I do use 75% of the "gimmicks" so I am a fan of skinned ROMs, and that is why my only "want" from this phone I think I got. A lightweight and optimized skin.

    And yes, for me, the SGS3 runs circles around the N4. But that is just for me.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    Touchless gestures, eyetracking, front facing speakers...I could go on. Some might say they were gimmicky, but they are definitely innovative.
    as for the X pushing performance boundaries there are smartphones with better battery life(and we don't even know if it really gets the life they say it will) Early impressions of the camera haven't been favorable. And the always on feature was innovative when it was done in google glass, less innovative for the Xbox, and not at all innovative now.
    I'm not gonna argue about it being refinement. They are saying "other phones do this, we just do it better" that sounds exactly like something some company out of Cupertino would say. And i don't see how appleizing Android will make it better.
    I've used the S4 but never used the Nexus 4 so I can't comment on that.
    Touchless is only on the X. The double twist to camera only X. Your X phone bashing posts are stupid and will be responding to you when I get to my laptop.

    Posted via Android Central App
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    NoNexus's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Not arguing with you but the motion for the camera may be different but Samsung did the same sort of thing, better.

    If touchless gestures is what I believe it is, Samsung again with hover

    Posted via anything but a Nexus phone.
    Thanked by:
    Roundpotato likes this.
  24. #24  
    Scott Kenyon's Avatar

    Posts
    2,167 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    It should be noted that I'll probably buy one of these and throw it in a drawer. It's worth spending the money on only because Motorola is investing in battery technology in a new and innovative way. They managed to keep the Razr Maxx thin as heck and push the limits of battery life, and now claims of 24 hours of use with an unimpressive sounding battery.
    I'm almost positive the figure is extremely close to accurate for most use cases, and that they're doing something really cool in regards to battery life. I'll buy the phone, not to own the phone, but to invest in the future of Motorola's battery technology. Paying the bill for their R&D will get us something cooler in the future.

    I'm not recommending anyone else do this in any way. Most people cannot or will not spend the money on a phone to throw it in a drawer, just to frivolously give money to a company. I have a strange opinion and feel it's in the best interest of myself to do so. If you don't feel that way, don't do what I'm doing.
  25. #25  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,743 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,920 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNexus View Post
    Not arguing with you but the motion for the camera may be different but Samsung did the same sort of thing, better.

    If touchless gestures is what I believe it is, Samsung again with hover

    Posted via anything but a Nexus phone.
    Just no. The camera app and way it's activated is completely different. Similar? Maybe.

    And no Samsung phone has the voice control and recognition capabilities that the X does. Neither do HTC's, for that matter. I'm not singling out any one manufacturer here. Moto is trying to change the way you interact with your phone by including and developing some truly innovative things. What other phone has a dedicated co-processor for voice and contextual input recognition? I'll wait for your answer before continuing....
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to get 5.1 audio from Chromecast
    By melvin7822 in forum Google Chromecast
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-30-2014, 08:57 PM
  2. Nexus 7 demo at BestBuy
    By cdf3 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 08:41 AM
  3. Voice to text input method?
    By gfroy91 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 12:34 PM
  4. Great news from our friends at vzw
    By Droid3r in forum Verizon
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 12:25 AM
  5. Random crash to "X" screen
    By Pflast in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 11:12 PM

Posting Permissions

B