Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74
Like Tree42Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default My Problem with the "hype"

    ...is that is was generated by tech sites and tech junkies.

    My challenge to you: Ask mom or dad what the Moto X is. Ask your neighbors. Ask college buddies.

    I'll wager the most common answer you hear is, "The Motorola what?"

    Members here need to understand that we represent the minority, and more importantly, a minority that Motorola is not targeting.

    The market of people that this device is aimed at likely has only just begun hearing about the product, and quite likely have no idea what the words "Snapdragon" or "Adreno" pertain to.

    Here's to hoping Google and Motorola did their homework and have a hit!

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Well said. It wasn't even much hype, considering what other kinds of hype we see in this industry (*coughcoughAPPLE*).
    Darth Spock likes this.
  3. #3  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,712 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Even most of the current misinformation about it is coming from these same sites.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  4. #4  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    The market of people that this device is aimed at likely has only just begun hearing about the product, and quite likely have no idea what the words "Snapdragon" or "Adreno" pertain to.
    Right. And already in the past 24 hours, I've heard about the Moto X from two women who are not smartphone geeks. I was surprised that they had even heard of it. Both are very impressed by it from the news they've seen. One of them in particular is dying to get one and customize it so badly that she's going to try this weekend to get Sprint to move her upgrade date.
    Thanked by 2:
  5. #5  
    dcjose48's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Very well said!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    ...is that is was generated by tech sites and tech junkies.

    My challenge to you: Ask mom or dad what the Moto X is. Ask your neighbors. Ask college buddies.

    I'll wager the most common answer you hear is, "The Motorola what?"
    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Right. And already in the past 24 hours, I've heard about the Moto X from two women who are not smartphone geeks. I was surprised that they had even heard of it. Both are very impressed by it from the news they've seen. One of them in particular is dying to get one and customize it so badly that she's going to try this weekend to get Sprint to move her upgrade date.
    And here is why it will fail. Right now no one knows what it is so they have to spend money to advertise it. But look at the advertisements "designed by you" is the biggest point they're making. How do you think your friend will feel when she goes into Sprint, somehow convinces them to move up her upgrade date, and then finds out she can't design her own phone? I guarantee she won't be happy. Its gonna leave a very bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    benhmadison likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    They can, they just have to wait. the marketing will pay off as it is a long term investment into brand image. Marketing in the terms of profitability on the device might not be optimal but in the long run it allows brand recognition as a device which supports the US economy and I bet people will support that idea.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  8. #8  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    They can, they just have to wait.
    You don't know many Americans do you? We're not exactly known as a people who are willing to wait for things.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    You don't know many Americans do you? We're not exactly known as a people who are willing to wait for things.
    Cabbage Patch Kids, Tickle Me Elmo,Green Bay Packer Season Tickets, StarCraft 2, Star War Episodes, Readers of the Dark Tower Series, and many more items disagree.
    B. Diddy likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Cabbage Patch Kids, Tickle Me Elmo,Green Bay Packer Season Tickets, StarCraft 2, Star War Episodes, Readers of the Dark Tower Series, and many more items disagree.
    Cabbage Patch Kids and Tickle Me Elmo were a totally different generation. What percentage of people actually wait for Green Bay Packer Season Tickets? As far as your other examples, to make the comparison valid, people would have to not know about any of them, see a commercial for them and decide to pass up everything else in those categories to wait until they can have them, but have no idea how long they will have to wait.
    Maybe I didn't phrase my statement correctly earlier, as obviously everyone waits for something. People wait for night to come before they go to bed for example. My point is that most Americans aren't gonna wait for an undetermined time for a device that just has one feature they like when there are other options available that are just as good or better.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
  11. #11  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    How do you think your friend will feel when she goes into Sprint, somehow convinces them to move up her upgrade date, and then finds out she can't design her own phone? I guarantee she won't be happy. Its gonna leave a very bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.
    And here is why you are wrong about my friend: I know her and her situation and you don't.

    She knows Sprint doesn't have MotoMaker yet and won't until later this year. She just wants to get her upgrade date changed to sometime this year and then she'll wait if necessary. Sprint forced her to sign a new contract recently in order to get a corporate discount and took away her original upgrade date, which would have been sometime this fall. She just wants to cancel that contract.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    And here is why you are wrong about my friend: I know her and her situation and you don't.

    She knows Sprint doesn't have MotoMaker yet and won't until later this year. She just wants to get her upgrade date changed to sometime this year and then she'll wait if necessary. Sprint forced her to sign a new contract recently in order to get a corporate discount and took away her original upgrade date, which would have been sometime this fall. She just wants to cancel that contract.
    If she is following the situation closely enough that she knows that much information at this point, and knows what it takes to get the terms of her contract changed in order to get a smartphone at a different time, then your description of her as a non smartphone geek is somewhat inaccurate. Maybe she doesn't spend all day on android central, but I think she qualifies as a smartphone geek to a pretty good extent.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
  13. #13  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    If she is following the situation closely enough that she knows that much information at this point, and knows what it takes to get the terms of her contract changed in order to get a smartphone at a different time, then your description of her as a non smartphone geek is somewhat inaccurate.
    AGAIN with the assumptions. You think you know my friend. You do not.

    She isn't following the situation closely. She had heard of the Moto X. She did not know many of the details until I informed her of them. And I am the one letting her know how to get out of her contract.

    Is there anything else you'd like to tell me about my friend since you seem to think you know her better than I do?
  14. #14  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    To be fair, what tech product isn't hyped by tech sites and tech junkies? Any tech worth generating a buzz for is done by tech sites and junkies.

    Or are you saying that their should have been no buzz or hype?


    I agree that it was hyped too much, so I'm not disagreeing with the over-hype of this device (same thing happened with the One, S4, and every iPhone).
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    B. Diddy likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    Cabbage Patch Kids and Tickle Me Elmo were a totally different generation. What percentage of people actually wait for Green Bay Packer Season Tickets? As far as your other examples, to make the comparison valid, people would have to not know about any of them, see a commercial for them and decide to pass up everything else in those categories to wait until they can have them, but have no idea how long they will have to wait.
    Maybe I didn't phrase my statement correctly earlier, as obviously everyone waits for something. People wait for night to come before they go to bed for example. My point is that most Americans aren't gonna wait for an undetermined time for a device that just has one feature they like when there are other options available that are just as good or better.
    Green Bay Packers has a 105,000 person wait list with an average wait time of 1167 years.

    On the waiting part of the phone:

    This is how Apple has been able to prove through their statements that their sales are lower in middle quarters because they have many buyers who are waiting for the latest iPhone release. It is the same cycle with Samsung.

    Apple has stated this repeatedly and until a couple months ago, most carriers were on an 18 month upgrade cycle.

    People will wait for a brand they want.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    To be fair, what tech product isn't hyped by tech sites and tech junkies? Any tech worth generating a buzz for is done by tech sites and junkies.

    Or are you saying that their should have been no buzz or hype?


    I agree that it was hyped too much, so I'm not disagreeing with the over-hype of this device (same thing happened with the One, S4, and every iPhone).
    Oh no, not at all. As a tech enthusiast, I enjoy every bit of coverage, regardless how far off a product launch may or may not be. Next Nexus devices? Let's stalk talking!

    I'm merely pointing out that if you're a member on Android Central and visit these forums regularly, you're very likely in the minority of smartphones owners and are even more likely some sort of mildly knowledgeable tech guy. And there's nothing wrong with that, either.


    My argument is that the Moto X is a product for everyday people to help out throughout a normal persons day. And that seems to be a concept that many people here aren't grasping. As stated originally, this is a product for the masses, not for our minority of geeks.

    The problem is Motorola teased and referenced what a game changing device the Moto X would be, however, what A/C members need to realize is that message was not meant for us. That message was for the target audience, which is not us techies.

    So of course I expect the hype, and enjoy it. I suppose my thread title should have been:

    "Not Every Flagship Product Suits Every Consumer- Deal With It and Buy Something Else"

    Food for thought. Say one year ago a manufacturer was working on a dual core device, one GB RAM, and less-than-720p display, and a sub-2000mAh battery. The device would be ignored and passed over without consideration. But there's your iPhone 5.

    People need to understand how to value a product. IMO, the Moto X is worth the top dollar ($199 on contract) for four main reasons:

    1) Always listening to assist you
    2) Entirely customizable (eventually will most assuredly be available for each carrier), something you cannot buy from any other manufacturer
    3) Active display
    4) Quick launch camera
    5) U.S. built

    Some of those don't scream luxury to your lot like "Snapdragon 800" might, but those are useful, valuable features/qualities that people will experience on a daily basis, that consumers can't get elsewhere. That's what this device is priced the way it's priced.

    My thoughts, feel free to politely discuss!

    Posted via Android Central App
  17. #17  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    The problem is Motorola teased and referenced what a game changing device the Moto X would be, however, what A/C members need to realize is that message was not meant for us. That message was for the target audience, which is not us techies.
    Bingo.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    So of course I expect the hype, and enjoy it. I suppose my thread title should have been:

    "Not Every Flagship Product Suits Every Consumer- Deal With It and Buy Something Else"
    Too much truth.
    Thanked by 2:
  18. #18  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    Oh no, not at all. As a tech enthusiast, I enjoy every bit of coverage, regardless how far off a product launch may or may not be. Next Nexus devices? Let's stalk talking!

    I'm merely pointing out that if you're a member on Android Central and visit these forums regularly, you're very likely in the minority of smartphones owners and are even more likely some sort of mildly knowledgeable tech guy. And there's nothing wrong with that, either.


    My argument is that the Moto X is a product for everyday people to help out throughout a normal persons day. And that seems to be a concept that many people here aren't grasping. As stated originally, this is a product for the masses, not for our minority of geeks.

    The problem is Motorola teased and referenced what a game changing device the Moto X would be, however, what A/C members need to realize is that message was not meant for us. That message was for the target audience, which is not us techies.

    So of course I expect the hype, and enjoy it. I suppose my thread title should have been:

    "Not Every Flagship Product Suits Every Consumer- Deal With It and Buy Something Else"

    Food for thought. Say one year ago a manufacturer was working on a dual core device, one GB RAM, and less-than-720p display, and a sub-2000mAh battery. The device would be ignored and passed over without consideration. But there's your iPhone 5.

    People need to understand how to value a product. IMO, the Moto X is worth the top dollar ($199 on contract) for four main reasons:

    1) Always listening to assist you
    2) Entirely customizable (eventually will most assuredly be available for each carrier), something you cannot buy from any other manufacturer
    3) Active display
    4) Quick launch camera
    5) U.S. built

    Some of those don't scream luxury to your lot like "Snapdragon 800" might, but those are useful, valuable features/qualities that people will experience on a daily basis, that consumers can't get elsewhere. That's what this device is priced the way it's priced.

    My thoughts, feel free to politely discuss!

    Posted via Android Central App
    I actually totally agree with you. As a spec guy myself (I love the latest and greatest hardware), the software features are drawing me in. I would need to see them in practice, of course, the Google Now functionality and Active Display (Peek) are really cool sounding.

    Also, Snapdragon 800 doesn't sound that impressive to me. LOL :P
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by 2:
    TechTinker and TheLibertarian like this.
  19. #19  
    Chiplg's Avatar

    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Green Bay Packers has a 105,000 person wait list with an average wait time of 1167 years.
    Wouldn't most people be dead before their 1167 year wait period was up? That's true dedication!
  20. #20  
    Chiplg's Avatar

    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    On the waiting part of the phone:

    This is how Apple has been able to prove through their statements that their sales are lower in middle quarters because they have many buyers who are waiting for the latest iPhone release. It is the same cycle with Samsung.

    Apple has stated this repeatedly and until a couple months ago, most carriers were on an 18 month upgrade cycle.

    People will wait for a brand they want.
    That's very true. I am past my upgrade date, but I'm waiting to see if these are the droids I'm looking for. If not, I'll move on to a One probably, but I'll be waiting for that too. I stopped at the Samsung experience at Best Buy, and was not impressed. I want to upgrade now, but I want to make the right decision. I hate waiting on things, but I hate regretting my purchases even more. People that care are willing to wait. Those that don't care will get whatever is available.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    I actually totally agree with you. As a spec guy myself (I love the latest and greatest hardware), the software features are drawing me in. I would need to see them in practice, of course, the Google Now functionality and Active Display (Peek) are really cool sounding.

    Also, Snapdragon 800 doesn't sound that impressive to me. LOL :P
    I'm right there with you. I love my Nexus 4, but boy do I love those black HTC One's.

    That said, I'm trying to imagine using the X day to day. Walking through Woodfield yesterday I found myself pulling out my Nexus and flicking my wrist twice, but disappointingly, nothing happened. I genuinely think those little features will bring in customers.

    Think back to all the One vs. GS4 debates. At the end of the day, there really wasn't anything that one device could do that the other could not. That isn't the case here. The Moto X does do things that other products cannot, and that is why it will have value to consumers. Will those features let you live to 200 or fly you to the moon? Of course not. But they're going to change how you interact with your smartphone, and that's what the goal of this product is.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 2:
    SteelGator likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    AGAIN with the assumptions. You think you know my friend. You do not.

    She isn't following the situation closely. She had heard of the Moto X. She did not know many of the details until I informed her of them. And I am the one letting her know how to get out of her contract.

    Is there anything else you'd like to tell me about my friend since you seem to think you know her better than I do?
    So what you're saying is that she wasn't a smartphone geek but you've turned her into one. So she is a smartphone geek now.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
  23. #23  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    So what you're saying is that she wasn't a smartphone geek but you've turned her into one. So she is a smartphone geek now.
    No. That's what you said.

    Just because she's interested in how she can get a Moto X sometime soon does not mean she has become a smartphone geek. After she gets it, I assure you that she will simply use her phone the way she does regularly until she's up for upgrade again. (She was actually okay with hanging onto her current phone for three or four years with Sprint after they swindled her into signing a new contract.) She's not the type to follow tech news closely. She never has been in the 33 or 34 years we've known each other. That's simply not her personality.

    But maybe you know her better than I do. Please continue to make assumptions about her. It's actually kind of entertaining to see how you can twist what little you know about her to serve your own point.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    No. That's what you said.

    Just because she's interested in how she can get a Moto X sometime soon does not mean she has become a smartphone geek. After she gets it, I assure you that she will simply use her phone the way she does regularly until she's up for upgrade again. (She was actually okay with hanging onto her current phone for three or four years with Sprint after they swindled her into signing a new contract.) She's not the type to follow tech news closely. She never has been in the 33 or 34 years we've known each other. That's simply not her personality.

    But maybe you know her better than I do. Please continue to make assumptions about her. It's actually kind of entertaining to see how you can twist what little you know about her to serve your own point.
    Nope, its too late. You've turned her geek. You think its only a temporary Moto X thing, but once you go geek you never go back. Even unicorn dust or fairy horns can't change her back now.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
  25. #25  

    Default Re: My Problem with the "hype"

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    Nope, its too late. You've turned her geek. You think its only a temporary Moto X thing, but once you go geek you never go back. Even unicorn dust or fairy horns can't change her back now.
    Oh, believe me. She's a geek. She's just not a smartphone geek. She's too busy reading fantasy novels.
    tdizzel likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 09:14 PM
  2. Group chat with iPhone users
    By brandonlol in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 06:00 PM
  3. Problem with Google Play Store.
    By adv16 in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 08:58 AM
  4. Can I use the SIM from my AT&T smartphone in my Nexus tablet?
    By quietlybrilliant in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 01:25 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 05:18 AM

Posting Permissions

B