Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Moto X or Moto Droid Maxx

I would love to know what everyone else is thinking. I was all about the Moto X but as I wait I am starting to lean towards the Maxx. What are the major differences between the two phones?

Maxx
    5" Screen
    Bigger Battery
    Wireless Charging
    Capacitive Buttons
    Droid Software
    32 GB

Moto X
    Design your own at some time
    Assembled in USA
    On Screen Buttons
    16 GB (for now on VZW)

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by ChuckG73; 08-07-2013 at 05:42 AM.

Default Re: Moto X or Moto Droid Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    I would love to know what everyone else is thinking. I was all about the Moto X but as I wait I am starting to lean towards the Maxx. What are the major differences between the two phones?

Maxx
    5" Screen
    Bigger Battery

Moto X
    Design your own at some time
    Assembled in USA

Am I missing something?
    MAXX also has wireless charging and 32 GB (vs 16 on the VZW Moto X).

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

If you don't mind a phone that big, the only knock on the Maxx that I can see is the decreased pixel density. Well, that an the $100 premium you spend on the extra battery life.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by SteelGator View Post
    MAXX also has wireless charging and 32 GB (vs 16 on the VZW Moto X).
    Are we 100% sure that Verizon is nor getting the 32 GB versions Moto X, yeah I forgot about wireless charging on the Maxx

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

It sounds like the 32gb expansion is part of Moto Maker, so whenever that comes to Verizon it should be available (at $249 on contract, I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    yeah I forgot about wireless charging on the Maxx
    boy am i gonna miss that on my palm pre. that was so cool.

Here are a few differences for you to keep note of.....all 3 of the new Droid phones use the touch capacitive buttons while the Moto X uses software keys. The Droids come with a few specific widgets, programs and ringtones specific to the Droid line such as the Droid Command Center widget, the familiar DROID ringtone, etc. The Droids have a flat back but are thinner overall than the Moto X which instead has a curved back (yes according to the specs the Maxx is thinner than the X is at its thickest point).

Overall it really comes down to personal preference. I plan on going with the X phone as I like software buttons over the touch capacitive buttons and while the battery size of the Maxx is VERY tempting, I have enough chargers that I'm not too concerned.
    JFH8 likes this.

This is my current decision to make as well. Im big on tbe bigger battery because ive been spoiled to them. I dont really mind the buttons.. although ive never had a phone w out them.

I like that they say the X will last all day.. im still waiting to see how that actually goes in real world use

But a 3500mah.. awesome.. and I get all the moto magic stuff in the x like touchless

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Overall size of the phone is a huge deal to me. Because the Maxx and Ultra are so damn big, I couldn't even consider those phones. I was considering the Razr Mini, which is smaller than my current 4.3" phone (Rezound), but the Moto X has the same dimensions as my phone with a much larger screen. Sounds like a winner to me.

Funny how this moto X fills a nice little hole in the new Droid lineup. Droids can give you a very compact phone with a 'relatively' small screen or a huge phone with a 5" screen. Moto X is a very happy medium.

Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

When thinking about the dev community and official software obsolescence, I'm asking if I want a Verizon phone or a Google phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Thanked by:
    mumfoau likes this.

I am debating on these two phones two. However, I heard the HTC One is coming to Verizon. I use the one on att for work but need to upgrade my original droid razr that I have on Verizon. So many choices.

Mike

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

New droids or Moto X. My choice of the two is the Moto X. I like its size, I like how I'm hearing its nice to hold. A nice size screen. Plus it's a $100 cheaper, for pretty much the same phone. Don't think I'll use Droid Zap or anything to share photos. I do wish I could keep the Circle Widget though.

I'm sure someone will post the "Droid Command" widget to be installed on the Moto X within a day or so of release.

Quote Originally Posted by TechTinker View Post
    I do wish I could keep the Circle Widget though.
    If all you're after is the cosmetics of the widget, then you can get One More Clock from Play. It has one that looks pretty much exactly the same.

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Just the way its works, I tried that widget. Dosen't, well I like it more than just the way it looks.

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

And suppose you didn't have to pay the $100 premium for the Maxx? What if it was the same? Check posts by Still1...just got my Maxx for 199...but not from VZW. I wish I could trust Moto on battery life, but they lied about the Razr and I'll keep saying it until they acknowledge it, and then wouldn't let us trade for the Razr Maxx a mere few weeks later. I went with the big battery...tho' tonight, I'm wondering how that extra height is gonna fit in my pocket.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    When thinking about the dev community and official software obsolescence, I'm asking if I want a Verizon phone or a Google phone.

This is my concern as well. I really like the Maxx, but it will obviously have a locked bootloader. Root will take a bit of time and even then I'm sure development on the Droids will be limited. On the flip side, perhaps the fact that the Maxx and X are so similar will mean that ROMs for the Verizon X will be easily ported to the Maxx?

Quote Originally Posted by davpel View Post
    This is my concern as well. I really like the Maxx, but it will obviously have a locked bootloader. Root will take a bit of time and even then I'm sure development on the Droids will be limited. On the flip side, perhaps the fact that the Maxx and X are so similar will mean that ROMs for the Verizon X will be easily ported to the Maxx?
    Since the internals seem to be the same, as is the screen tech, hopefully this will pan out. My only hesitation on the Maxx is coming from a Nexus device, I am used to updating the day ASOP hits.

On the flip side, perhaps the fact that the Maxx and X are so similar will mean that ROMs for the Verizon X will be easily ported to the Maxx?
    I wouldn't assume that many ROMs will exist for the Verizon X, if at all. An encrypted bootloader will hamper development in a big way. If you're going to purchase an X, be prepared for the possibility of having no choice but to use the stock ROM. That's what I'm doing.
    Thanked by:
    SteelGator likes this.

Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

This will definitely not feel like a nexus in that regard.

Clearly, the Moto X is the sexier of the two devices. It looks like it's going to be a really nice piece. I think its biggest advantage is going to be lack of bloat. My current phone, Galaxy Nexus, is a chipped up, slow, mess with a declining life extended battery. I would love a new Nexus device, but I can't wait for Nexus 5 and the Nexus 4 is old news. Unfortunately, being a Verizon customer makes the pure Android experience difficult to come by on contract.

The Droid Maxx looks like it's going to be a workhorse. It's not as pretty as the X, but it's got all kinds of endurance. Non-removable batteries scare me a little. The bigger the battery, the better I feel about not being able to replace it. I've added extended batteries to my last two phones and can't imagine having been limited to the stock battery with either of them.

The wireless charging is a big deal to me as well. My current phone was supposed to have a dock with pogo pins that I could drop it in to charge. That promise never really materialized. Thanks Samsung. I want the factory wireless charging. If the Moto X had this, it would be a much harder decision.

It doesn't look like there's an ace up the Moto X's sleeve that's going to sway me from getting a Droid Maxx. The battery life, wireless charging, 32GB storage (at launch), and hopefully a big fat antenna with lots of reception, are why I'm leaning toward the Droid Maxx. Hope this helps. Typing this out has helped me cement my choice a little more.
    Jeff

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
    SteelGator likes this.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I wouldn't assume that many ROMs will exist for the Verizon X, if at all. An encrypted bootloader will hamper development in a big way. If you're going to purchase an X, be prepared for the possibility of having no choice but to use the stock ROM. That's what I'm doing.
    The DNA has an encrypted bootloader and it was cracked with development aplenty.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

I like the maxx battery but the phone is too damn big, I wish they would've kept the screen 4.7 inches and decrease the phone size.

I'm probably going to get the moto x. I read several reviews and they like the phone size. Sometimes I do need the extra battery life when going to events, Vegas, fishing etc... but I think I'll just get the incipio off grid battery case and slap that on when I do need the extra life.

The DNA has an encrypted bootloader and it was cracked with development aplenty.
    The DNA is an HTC phone. If you are aware of the history of Motorola phones, then you would know that they are far more difficult to unlock. It has only ever happened with the RAZR HD/HD MAXX/M (all the same phone) and Atrix HD that I know of, and the developer who achieved that is no longer going to be working on unlocking Motorola phones. He's said that people should get other devices if they want to unlock their phones. And look at the forums for the RAZR HD and HD MAXX. They're pretty much barren when it comes to threads related to development (ROMs, etc.).

On other phones, like the Droid X, there was a workaround because of the encrypted bootloader, but there still wasn't a high level of development for that phone. I had one.

So again, I wouldn't count on much development happening for the Verizon X. It might happen, but given the history of Motorola phones on Verizon, I wouldn't expect it in the very least.
    Last edited by ultravisitor; 08-08-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    Thanked by 4:
    Ry and paisley99 like this.

Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    The DNA is an HTC phone. If you are aware of the history of Motorola phones, then you would know that they are far more difficult to unlock. It has only ever happened with the RAZR HD/HD MAXX/M (all the same phone) and Atrix HD that I know of, and the developer who achieved that is no longer going to be working on unlocking Motorola phones. He's said that people should get other devices if they want to unlock their phones. And look at the forums for the RAZR HD and HD MAXX. They're pretty much barren when it comes to threads related to development (ROMs, etc.).

On other phones, like the Droid X, there was a workaround because of the encrypted bootloader, but there still wasn't a high level of development for that phone. I had one.

So again, I wouldn't count on much development happening for the Verizon X. It might happen, but given the history of Motorola phones on Verizon, I wouldn't expect it in the very least.
    It's partially dependent on quantity and quality of devs in the general x community as well. Typically on the Toro what you see is not a lot built specifically for that device, but many large ROMs will see a port of something released for the GSM G Nex devices. The bootloader, being an obstacle, the same thing might not repeat but I guess that's the hope. Either way, definitely won't be as much interest by devs as on nexus devices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast