Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Default Re: How are Moto X buyers justifying the price?

If you ever have to "convince yourself" or "justify" the purchase of something, you shouldn't purchase it. That goes for more than just phones.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,922 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    you obviously dont know what the X8 processor is all about. its an optimized quad core processor.

I hope you meant to say it's NOT an optimized quad-core processor. If so, go back and read those articles again. The two extra DSP's aren't even ARM cores. How does that make it a quad-core CPU?

Also, the simple answer to the question of how are people justifying the cost is this: Because it's what they want and they feel it's worth it. If it were me, the justification would be the software features. Namely, the voice stuff and Peek.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    DestinedtoGame likes this.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    If you ever have to "convince yourself" or "justify" the purchase of something, you shouldn't purchase it. That goes for more than just phones.
    I suppose irrational, irresponsible spending is cool too.

I know the Moto X is a more refined and optimized phone than a cutting edge powerhouse, aiming at usability, but is that worth the same as a flagship cutting edge phone?
    Even though we know it is as fast and smooth etc as the spec-war phones, i get that the idea the screen and cpu are not what those companies sell as their latest most updated ones make it tough to see spending as much, but remember this, the X costs just as much to make it as the htc1/gs4 if that makes you feel any better. : ). Remember, it has additional cores that those 2 don't have either, hth. and remember, it wasn't the money which led them to keep that quad processor out, they deliberately left it out of the phone in order to make the phone better.
    Last edited by paisley99; 08-10-2013 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    I suppose irrational, irresponsible spending is cool too.
    I don't get how you got that from what I said...But cool story

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

The mere process of deciding to purchase something requires an analysis of costs and benefits; that is your justification of value. Some people have different financial tolerances, but the process is the same.

I get what you're trying to say, you just communicated it poorly.

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by AMTrombley0924 View Post
    These are all good points. These responses help me understand what you guys truly value I am a phone.

Let me clarify, this thread isn't a personal one. I am not in the market for a new phone, and never was prior to the MotoX unveil. I just know that the price was a huge point of contention, and wanted to hear from the fans of the phone.

My personal thoughts are this: if the phone can perform this well for the duration of a contract then I think it's well worth the price. Nothing grinds my gears more than a "flagship" phone that performs admirably until an update rolls along. Do "4.x.x update ruined this phone!" threads ring a bell? Or, when apps leave the phone struggling like Chrome or high end games like Iron man 3. My perception was that the phones that can handle a contract are those with powerhouse processors and a gratuitous amount of RAM. This is why I am particularly interested to see if the X8 system can handle this with a dual core processor.

As far as features go, I 100% agree that it's a matter of quality over quantity. I love the features MotoX offers especially over the S4. The One offers great features as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
    SOLUTION: Stop buying phones on contract.
    Thanked by 2:
    DC Wuff and AMTrombley0924 like this.

Usually I justify the price of whatever I am buying by opening up my wallet and handing the salesperson either cash or a credit card.

I figured that was the same for everybody.

The fact that it was built in the U.S makes it pricey already. Materials are also better than most. I understand why this phone isn't cheap, there's a reason why most things aren't made in the U.S.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Joe the Insider; 08-10-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Insider View Post
    The gaff that it was built in the U.S makes it pricey already. Materials are also better than most. I understand why this phone isn't cheap, there's a reason why most things aren't made in the U.S.

Nobody knows the breakdown or impact on that yet. Also it is quite possible that Motorola realize that 199 is the magical price point.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Insider View Post
    The gaff that it was built in the U.S makes it pricey already. Materials are also better than most. I understand why this phone isn't cheap, there's a reason why most things aren't made in the U.S.

Choosing a pricepoint is also a matter of affecting market perception and making sure the phone can compete with higher end devices. It's not just about margins and costs of production.

But you probably already knew that.
    Thanked by:
    ultravisitor likes this.

ROM
    CM9 RC1

Made in America

Posted via Android Central App

I love how most of the people on this forum are talking about how this is a subpar phone, but yet none of them have used it. Most of the people who have used this phone are in love with it. Outside the camera of course. I have yet to read any bad reviews or have seen any major Phandroid blogger speak ill of this phone. Even Phil of this site seems to be in love with this phone. Specs aren't everything. Motorola has created a solid phone from what I am reading and that's the selling point. A solid phone that works!
    Young brothers and sisters, there's a world's worth of work, and a need for you!
    AMTrombley0924 likes this.

Wow AMTrombley0924, you certainly caused some chaos here haha.

A lot of Moto X Fans here I guess.

Just to be clear - I have a GS4 and have never experienced any Lag that you are all talking about - I got my GS4 from a Nokia Lumia 900 - all I can say is wow.

Also my Battery last me all day easily - I also love the big screen, any bigger then I would hate it just like the Note.

So what have we learned here today? To each is there own...
    Sent From My Shiney new S4

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Jenkins View Post
    A lot of Moto X Fans here I guess.
    In the Moto X forum? No way!
    JFH8 likes this.

I get a kick out of this. Yes we have not had the phone in hand yet to see how it performs. The question though posed by the OP is quite valid. If this wasn't a Googlrola and another company tried to pass this off as all sunshine and rainbows. You know the community would laugh them off the stage. Instead we have people who are trying desperately to justify why this is the right price point for it. For myself I won't be on contract anymore. So that doesn't mean as much. What has been mentioned but not fully confirmed either way is what the non contract and or unlocked pricing will be. At 575-630 for an off contract one from ATT, that is just a deal breaker for this kit. This cpu isn't a quad even if it's based on one and the bit of how you get to 8 cores is a joke in itself. Based on this tech in this it should have been much closer to what Google is selling the N4 for say 400-450. Had they done this with what they did with the software and they would have had a hit on their hands. As of now I can wait for the price drop when they need to move these.

Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    I get a kick out of this. Yes we have not had the phone in hand yet to see how it performs. The question though posed by the OP is quite valid. If this wasn't a Googlrola and another company tried to pass this off as all sunshine and rainbows. You know the community would laugh them off the stage. Instead we have people who are trying desperately to justify why this is the right price point for it. For myself I won't be on contract anymore. So that doesn't mean as much. What has been mentioned but not fully confirmed either way is what the non contract and or unlocked pricing will be. At 575-630 for an off contract one from ATT, that is just a deal breaker for this kit. This cpu isn't a quad even if it's based on one and the bit of how you get to 8 cores is a joke in itself. Based on this tech in this it should have been much closer to what Google is selling the N4 for say 400-450. Had they done this with what they did with the software and they would have had a hit on their hands. As of now I can wait for the price drop when they need to move these.
    Okay, we heard you, it doesn't have a quad core. thanks. get a nexus.

"Even though the Galaxy S 4 retains our Editors' Choice, if I was to personally pick an Android phone right now, the Moto X would be my phone". -PC magazine
    Last edited by paisley99; 08-12-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    newsman787 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    If this phone came from any manufacturer other than ZTE or Pantech I'd still be interested. I'm interested because of the battery life, innovative developments in software married with hardware, size, performance (framerate leading to smoothness), with the minimal adjustments on stock Android. I hate Touchwiz and Sense.

You keep harping on the specs not being good enough yet I wouldn't be surprised if it was much cheaper to get off the shelf quad core processors to toss into the phone than doing the engineering work to R&D the DSPs to where they can achieve all the features in the Moto X providing the hands free capabilities with a battery life that blows the other flagship's out the water with a smaller battery allowing for an amazing form factor.

There is absolutely no way the GS4 is worth 50-100 dollars more than the Moto X because it has substantially worse performance and cannot last as long on its battery without babysitting it.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Heres my justification for anyone buying the moto x because you have means and your the BOSS.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Quote Originally Posted by bunique4life05 View Post
    Heres my justification for anyone buying the moto x because you have means and your the BOSS.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    Sums it up for just about anything.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by roadkizzle View Post
    There is absolutely no way the GS4 is worth 50-100 dollars more than the Moto X because it has substantially worse performance and cannot last as long on its battery without babysitting it.
    My favorite is the GS4 owners who claim they get "great" battery life, then go on to list all the features they've had to disable to get there.

My favorite is the GS4 owners who claim they get "great" battery life, then go on to list all the features they've had to disable to get there.
    BINGO. If you have to disable all of those fancy features, why exactly would you bother shelling out the money when you can get a Moto X (or a nexus 4 for that matter) with better battery life without having to disable anything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Darth Spock likes this.

If I want fantastic battery life out of my Galaxy Nexus, all I have to do is turn it off.

So why not consider an Iphone 5? Or the Iphone 6 when it comes out? If you know, specs don't matter and all that matters is that it works fluidly.

Quote Originally Posted by asanatheist View Post
    So why not consider an Iphone 5? Or the Iphone 6 when it comes out? If you know, specs don't matter and all that matters is that it works fluidly.
    ?? That doesn't even make sense on an Android site. If you're gonna take up space in a sub-forum just to be annoying, at least make sense. On 2nd thought, never mind.

We get it, it doesn't have a quad core. If we wanted the phone you have, we'd buy it....Shouldn't you be out buying an S5, i mean, an LG G2. I hear it's AmZIng and has a faster cpu! If you are unable to understand everything everyone has said, you're never going to get it, so stop asking/saying the same thing over and over again. You had a moto, you like the S4 better. Enjoy it.
    Last edited by paisley99; 08-12-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast