Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Active Display - What Happens When It's on a Desk?

Forgive me if I missed this somewhere, but what happens if the X is just sitting on a desk and you get a notification? I've read about flipping it over/pulling out of a pocket, but what if it's idle on my desk or if I just pick it up from said desk?

Pretty sure this is my next phone, but this is kind of a big deal because it's where my phone lives 90% of the time I'm at work.

Default Re: Active Display - What Happens When It's on a Desk?

If it's laying face-up on a table, it will "breathe" the notification peek. See 4:45 below:

Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

If you get a notification, Active Display pops it up, and then breathes it for a little bit. Then it goes back to sleep, so it's not continuously breathing the entire time.

Inside the Moto X Active Display | Android Central

Thanked by 2:
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Awesome. Thanks, Phil! Phone looks better and better to me. Looking forward to your full review.

how long does it breath for before it stops?

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    how long does it breath for before it stops?
    and when it stops, does it then have an LED?

Quote Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
    and when it stops, does it then have an LED?
    No led from what I read

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by JimBen73 View Post
    No led from what I read

Posted via Android Central App
    2nd. gosh i hope i don't have to pick this thing up. then i'm gonna be so mad. less movements please. lol. I did expect to, but now that i see my current phone blinking at me...

actually, i guess it'll be fine, there's enough notifications it'll be breathing pretty much all the time. .
    Last edited by paisley99; 08-13-2013 at 02:57 PM.

I actually wonder if people will create app that'll work similarly to Active Display but just activate about four pixels to mimic a notification LED on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkizzle View Post
    I actually wonder if people will create app that'll work similarly to Active Display but just activate about four pixels to mimic a notification LED on the screen.
    it's already out. It'd called activenotifications

Does that provide the option for a couple of screen pixels to blink as a notification LED or is it just a poor man's version of Active Display for non Moto X phones?

By the way, how does that app work? I have it on my Xperia TL which is on 4.1.2 and a LCD screen so I don't know if it's an older OS problem or just that the ActiveNotification app really doesn't work nearly as well.

As I see the ActiveNotification does not breathe like the Moto X and it is not contextually aware so it doesn't know when the phone is moved to display the notifications. It stays on when i receive a notification but does not show details.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

Hang on ... You want an app to emulate an LED on the screen ... to do what Active Display is already doing ... on the screen?

I actually see it in my mind as enhancing the capabilities of the Active Display. I basically see it as a notification that you have notifications.

From your descriptions of Active Display and all the instances I see online the phone won't continue "breathing" your notifications indefinitely after receiving them. It sounds like if I leave my phone face up when I get a notification then it will breathe off and on for approximately 15 min-1 hour slowing down until it stops showing up. I often leave my phone around in my apartment, and I would see a pseudo notification LED as an even more minimal signal than the Active Display that I had received a notification long enough ago that the Active Display stopped informing me. This'll prompt me to walk over and nudge my phone to see what the actual Active Display wants to tell me instead of having to walk over and nudge it every time I walk into the same room as my phone.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

If you went a full hour without checking your phone and the world falling apart, it can't be that important. Go about your business.

Yes it is not a game-changer, it will truly not change my decision to get the phone or not.

I'm going to be getting this phone because it is the phone I've been waiting on for the past two years.

I just thought that this inclusion would probably not take anything away but it would add just a tiny amount of extra hands-off use.
    raiderep likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkizzle View Post
    I actually see it in my mind as enhancing the capabilities of the Active Display. I basically see it as a notification that you have notifications.

From your descriptions of Active Display and all the instances I see online the phone won't continue "breathing" your notifications indefinitely after receiving them. It sounds like if I leave my phone face up when I get a notification then it will breathe off and on for approximately 15 min-1 hour slowing down until it stops showing up. I often leave my phone around in my apartment, and I would see a pseudo notification LED as an even more minimal signal than the Active Display that I had received a notification long enough ago that the Active Display stopped informing me. This'll prompt me to walk over and nudge my phone to see what the actual Active Display wants to tell me instead of having to walk over and nudge it every time I walk into the same room as my phone.
    I don't believe active display ever stops 'breathing' if the phone is face up. It's intentionally designed to keep breathing indefinitely if the user has placed the phone face up, because that's its purpose.

I also believe that it may activate the breathing once the phone senses that its been picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    I don't believe active display ever stops 'breathing' if the phone is face up. It's intentionally designed to keep breathing indefinitely if the user has placed the phone face up, because that's its purpose.

I also believe that it may activate the breathing once the phone senses that its been picked up.
    wrong. if its faces up and you dont touch your phone for long it will stop breathing. its smart that way.

if its on your pocket it will stop breathing. if its face down it will stop breathing. its not designed to always breath but smarter

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    wrong. if its faces up and you dont touch your phone for long it will stop breathing. its smart that way.

if its on your pocket it will stop breathing. if its face down it will stop breathing. its not designed to always breath but smarter
    Not according to Moto. If you get any notifications it will not stop flashing the notification until that notification is addressed.

Not according to Moto. If you get any notifications it will not stop flashing the notification until that notification is addressed.
    cooool. no picking up the phone.

my gosh, i might just be the laziest person in the universe. lol. the person most interested in the path of least resistance.

You and a user with a Moto X seem to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    If you get a notification, Active Display pops it up, and then breathes it for a little bit. Then it goes back to sleep, so it's not continuously breathing the entire time.

Inside the Moto X Active Display | Android Central

GadgetGator likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Hang on ... You want an app to emulate an LED on the screen ... to do what Active Display is already doing ... on the screen?
    I believe the user wanted to emulate an LED indicator after you told us that the display will only "breathe" notifications for a set period of time, rather than pulsate the notifications until acted upon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    You and a user with a Moto X seem to disagree.
    Moto apparently disagrees too. All of their promotional material says that it will continue to 'breathe' as long as its out of the pocket and not face down. There are also some other hands on videos that say that as well. Perhaps it's a setting?
    GadgetGator, Ry and paisley99 like this.

Global Posts
    5,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

The gimpy imitation from the play store isn't breathing at all :|

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

Huh. Now I wonder what it'll do in the truck, sitting in the RAM holder vertically. Sometimes I just leave it there...and it's nice to see a blinker if something's up when I come back to it....

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    The gimpy imitation from the play store isn't breathing at all :|
    I was not a fan of it. Doesn't help that the nexus 4 isn't amoled, so there is no benefit to it. Its a cool idea though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast