Will the Google Play Store Moto X be GSM only? I'm

Kayone73

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Inquiring for a friend of mine on Verizon wireless who wants to replace her stolen phone w the MotoX but doesn't want the VZW branded device and go under contract again. She wants to wait until its available free of contract on the Google Play Store. I advised her to check if they will be releasing a gsm carrier only compatible phone or if they'll also sell a CDMA version that is VZW compatible.

Anyone know which is the case?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Inquiring for a friend of mine on Verizon wireless who wants to replace her stolen phone w the MotoX but doesn't want the VZW branded device and go under contract again. She wants to wait until its available free of contract on the Google Play Store. I advised her to check if they will be releasing a gsm carrier only compatible phone or if they'll also sell a CDMA version that is VZW compatible.

If a Google Play edition Moto X exist, I doubt it will support Verizon (or Sprint) CDMA.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

We don't even know for sure if its going to be in Google play yet. So I'd say nobody rly knows the answer to this, I'd guess Google/Moto isn't even sure yet since they seem to have different responses based on the time and person you ask.

But I'd say its unlikely that it will work on Verizon. Since they need to be registered to use the CDMA network for voice, Verizon has to approve which device is activated on their network. It's possible that it'll exist, but I believe it'll be the first time such a thing exists from the play store.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

This is not going to happen. If you want this phone on Verizon you will have to get a contract - or pay off contract price.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc