Moto X: Timely Updates

Makai5

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I am definitely going to be getting the Moto X when it comes out. But does anyone no if it will get updates like Google Nexus phones do?
It is not worth it if it falls behind like all other phones UNFORTUNATELY. Part of being an Android lover is suffering heart break sometimes:D:D:D.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: timly Updates

I found a couple articles for you. I'm sure it will be updated much sooner then a Samsung, HTC and etc.

Moto X sold on Play Store won?t be Google Play edition, will keep custom software | Android and Me

A 'Google Play' version of the Moto X is coming soon | The Verge

I am definitely going to be getting the Moto X when it comes out. But does anyone no if it will get updates like Google Nexus phones do?
It is not worth it if it falls behind like all other phones UNFORTUNATELY. Part of being an Android lover is suffering heart break sometimes:D:D:D.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Even though everyone says Motorola is terrible with updates, my experience is that they been rather good, just slowed down with the carriers. Its not going to get nexus-fast updates, but with its near-stock software I expect new android versions will be ok'd quickly. But the Moto x is still a carrier-device and they control when the update rolls out.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I agree, it'll probably be a far cry from Nexus updates, given that Motorola says that they're not getting any early peeks at code, etc. That being said, there are not a lot of modifications to their software other than added features, so it is probably easier for them to execute updates when compared to TouchWiz or Sense devices that are much thicker rewrites.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I'd guess slow ish updates. First the carrier needs to approve them. Which takes forever. Then if there is any truth to the fact that only Nexus handset makers get early access to code, that means Moto has no such advantage. Yes its near stock build but its not completely stock and without early access it certainly won't be as fast as Nexus edition phones.

I think it'll be faster when the unlocked version comes and doesn't need to wait on carriers to approve. Depending on your network obviously.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Well considering it is not on 4.3 and is just being released, it will probably be similar to all other carrier phones. It will go through the manufactures, carriers, and then to you. A google play edition, probably stipped down to nearly a nexus, would get updates faster...much faster. The GPE got 4.3 about 2 weeks after the nexus line. A dev. edition does not necessarily mean faster updates. I think the Dev. Edition HTC ONE got the update for 4.2.2 after the carrier versions.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

It's just a decision. I also love Android and love watching the progress and being in on that. That, however, doesn't make it necessary.

Yeah, plenty of phones stop updating before we would like them to. However, most of them stop on a version at or near the best version they can run without opening the door for new functionality that might not run so great. So sure, you wind up pining after a version you don't have, but you also don't need it.

If, like me, you actually do need it no matter what, you gotta go Nexus or be ready to upgrade your hardware more often. If I really like this phone and need to stay on Verizon, I may be transitioning from Nexus to upgrading hardware more often. At least these are my "problems" and not a hut buried by a mudslide.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Even though everyone says Motorola is terrible with updates, my experience is that they been rather good, just slowed down with the carriers. Its not going to get nexus-fast updates, but with its near-stock software I expect new android versions will be ok'd quickly. But the Moto x is still a carrier-device and they control when the update rolls out.

Exactly. What devices from 2011 are running Jelly Bean (officially)? My Bionic is. The Xoom is too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It would help if you actually mentioned which features of Android 4.3 are "needed" for you on the Moto X.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

It would help if you actually mentioned which features of Android 4.3 are "needed" for you on the Moto X.

The only thing that I know of is the Trim software to help helps the phone stay running as smoothly as the day you get it.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Motorola took about almost a year for the Atrix 4G update, by that time I think we are already on well past 2.6. Expect no less specially when taking carriers into consideration.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Motorola took about almost a year for the Atrix 4G update, by that time I think we are already on well past 2.6. Expect no less specially when taking carriers into consideration.

What? The Atrix 4g was released in March 2011. Its 2.3 Gingerbread (the last phone update before 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich) was in July 2011. A far cry from a year wait.

That said, Motorola did back out on updating it to ICS at the last minute which left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouth.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
What? The Atrix 4g was released in March 2011. Its 2.3 Gingerbread (the last phone update before 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich) was in July 2011. A far cry from a year wait.

That said, Motorola did back out on updating it to ICS at the last minute which left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouth.

Ah yes that's right. Thanks for reminding me. They had cancelled the ICS after almost a year of promising it, I forgot they never did officially release it.
I had rooted/flashed to ICS but was never stable. Sorry for the mix up.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
That is a legitimate gripe, and I also loaded an ICS rom myself for the phone. Which my only complaint was that Motorola never released the code for the fingerprint scanner so as far as my understanding it never worked on other ROMs.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
don't believe they had been bought by Google at that point so they may be encouraged to support their phones more today. Given the thin skin on Android on the X, it may be easier to mod than some of the older phones. On the other hand, no matter how fast they issue it, there is still ATT to consider

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
That was my thought as well. There's a lot riding on this phone for Moto, plus with the new owner, I don't see how they would not support it for quite awhile moving forward. Of course it will get 4.3. Probably Key Lime. I don't think it would be unrealistic to see some camera software tweaks and a peek notification 2.0 at some point letting you see multiple notifications up top from Moto as well. No sources, just a few guesses.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
My guess (or hope) is that this device is 1) very close to stock and 2) very high stakes/high profile and would thus be a priority device for software updates.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
That is a legitimate gripe, and I also loaded an ICS rom myself for the phone. Which my only complaint was that Motorola never released the code for the fingerprint scanner so as far as my understanding it never worked on other ROMs.

Did it ever really work? Took many tries for me with my normal sized fingers.
Lol.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Did it ever really work? Took many tries for me with my normal sized fingers.
Lol.

The fingerprint scanner always worked really well for me. It would almost always work on my first try, and the rest of the time it would take just a couple of swipes. I used it all the time especially when I couldn't take my eyes off whatever task I was doing but receive a text or email.