Do any non-button phone makers have a transparency setting for the on screen buttons?...

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
for the buttons themselves, no just the bar on whch they sometimes seem to land on.

edited to remove my problematic asterix.

Last edited:

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Do *any* non-button phone makers have a transparency setting for the on screen buttons?...

for the buttons themselves, no the bar on whch they sometimes seem to land on.

I don't think so. Why do you need to change transparency of on screen buttons?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do *any* non-button phone makers have a transparency setting for the on screen buttons?...

I don't think so. Why do you need to change transparency of on screen buttons?

because then it makes them less present and you can view more of the full screen.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

because then it makes them less present and you can view more of the full screen.

Ha, you're going from a 3" screen to a 4.7" and THIS is a big deal? The buttons go away with watching vids and some apps. It's not a big deal imo.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Ha, you're going from a 3" screen to a 4.7" and THIS is a big deal? The buttons go away with watching vids and some apps. It's not a big deal imo.

Um, simmer, is everything people ask about what the phone can and cannot do, or the settings, or how this type of screen works, a "big deal"?

If i should ask this question somewhere else people, please let me know.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

The space still won't be usable or more "viewable". The buttons aren't hiding anything....

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

I think it's a poor decision to have the buttons disappear in apps. Because they are your main navigation tools through the phone so it is more of a pain to constantly have to get the buttons back when you need them.
In a situation like watching video it's acceptable because you will only be touching the screen if you need the buttons so they only need to be there then but other apps you are constantly interacting with so there is not really another trigger to display the buttons without taking up extra real estate or effort.

I hate on screen buttons compared to the full set of four that was standard because I always knew where menu button was in order to access any little used options while now they must either be taking up precious screen estate and/or I have to spend time guessing/searching for the specific method that any random app chooses to do with the menu options.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

The space still won't be usable or more "viewable". The buttons aren't hiding anything....

oh, okay, i'll have to see it i guess. maybe i just don't know how it works. And i guess if they don't disappear there couldn't be anythng there anyway and it would have to stay above where the buttons are anyway.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I think it's a poor decision to have the buttons disappear in apps. Because they are your main navigation tools through the phone so it is more of a pain to constantly have to get the buttons back when you need them.
In a situation like watching video it's acceptable because you will only be touching the screen if you need the buttons so they only need to be there then but other apps you are constantly interacting with so there is not really another trigger to display the buttons without taking up extra real estate or effort.

hmmmm.

I hate on screen buttons compared to the full set of four that was standard because I always knew where menu button was in order to access any little used options while now they must either be taking up precious screen estate and/or I have to spend time guessing/searching for the specific method that any random app chooses to do with the menu options.

Thanks.

And then it's weird b/c i see photos with phones with on screen buttons, and they are not there. Is it just a promo photo or something?

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com...es-LG-G2-Sign-Up-Page-375755-2.jpg?1376568665

http://static.thefullsignal.com/sites/knowyourcell/files/styles/gallery_wide/public/optimusg2-1.jpg

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/92065-image/lg-optimus-f6.jpg

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

hmmmm.

Thanks.

And then it's weird b/c i see photos with phones with on screen buttons, and they are not there. Is it just a promo photo or something?

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com...es-LG-G2-Sign-Up-Page-375755-2.jpg?1376568665

http://static.thefullsignal.com/sites/knowyourcell/files/styles/gallery_wide/public/optimusg2-1.jpg

I could be wrong, but I'm pretttttty sure that's a lock screen. Hence, no navigation buttons.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

The first is a lockscreen.....the second is a video.

Edit - 3rd picture has capacitive buttons.

TonyStarks260

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

That G2 pic may be how the lock screen is executed. On the N4 the lock screen has no buttons, just a slim black bar that denotes where you slide up to access google now. You don't really need any buttons on a lock screen.

I've never seen a button transparency setting outside of a custom rom to control the color and intensity of the buttons.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

oh, okay, i'll have to see it i guess. maybe i just don't know how it works. And i guess if they don't disappear there couldn't be anythng there anyway and it would have to stay above where the buttons are anyway.

I'm currently on the Galaxy Nexus which was one of the pioneers of on-screen buttons. I think you'll be ok with the way it works. It's very very rare for me to think about the buttons, and it's a rare app that feels like it's devs are using them incorrectly.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

You are thinking about this too hard and too much. I have a Galaxy Nexus, which was the first of the phones with on-screen buttons. The buttons disappear and reappear and/or reorient themselves as necessary. It's really not worth thinking about very much.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

You are thinking about this too hard and too much. I have a Galaxy Nexus, which was the first of the phones with on-screen buttons. The buttons disappear and reappear and/or reorient themselves as necessary. It's really not worth thinking about very much.

Yeah, i haven't thought about it in hours or whenever my last post about it was. I see people commenting about them, and since mine currently go away, i asked the question, thought of possibilities received all the answers and accepted the answers. You may have had lots of phones like this, but i have not, so i might have some questions. i'll try to keep them in line with other questions on the board. Funnily enough, i *almost* didn't ask it, thinking it didn't belong here, but then i thought, maybe it's a common thing that they go away and they'll know and that'll be that. Maybe general/how-to was more appropriate place to ask novice questions.

Last edited:

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, i haven't thought about it in hours or whenever my last post about it was. I see people commenting about them, and since mine currently go away, i asked the question, thought of possibilities received all the answers and accepted the answers. You may have had lots of phones like this, but i have not, so i might have some questions. i'll try to keep them in line with other questions on the board. Funnily enough, i *almost* didn't ask it, thinking it didn't belong here, but then i thought, maybe it's a common thing that they go away and they'll know and that'll be that. Maybe general/how-to was more appropriate place to ask novice questions.

Feel free to ask the questions, if this is not the place, I don't know where is. Normally people here know the answers and have experience with it.

Also, I agree with the on screen button comments just above. I have had a GNex since launch and I have not thought about the buttons at all. They are there when needed and tucked away when they are not. I am moving to a Maxx with the capacitive buttons, and that will take some getting used to. I am just glad the menu bar stuff has been cleaned up.

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

Feel free to ask the questions, if this is not the place, I don't know where is. Normally people here know the answers and have experience with it.

Also, I agree with the on screen button comments just above. I have had a GNex since launch and I have not thought about the buttons at all. They are there when needed and tucked away when they are not. I am moving to a Maxx with the capacitive buttons, and that will take some getting used to. I am just glad the menu bar stuff has been cleaned up.

Same here with the GNex. I actually don't think I've ever thought about my buttons until I saw this thread. It's one of the many great features of the phone - they just work and you don't have to think about them.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they can be changed. Some custom ROMs allow this with a graphical element in settings (such as paranoid android), but you can edit it yourself in a custom build too. When you make them transparent, you do see more of your home screen, but in apps its typically still black.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they can be changed. Some custom ROMs allow this with a graphical element in settings (such as paranoid android), but you can edit it yourself in a custom build too. When you make them transparent, you do see more of your home screen, but in apps its typically still black.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

That's how the G2 is handling it. Transparent on the home screen and black/camouflaged everywhere else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox