New Customer Waiting for Phone

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
If I wind up getting the X tomorrow (very likely) I will be switching from Sprint to ATT. I'm thinking about going to the store to check them out and picking up the personal pin or whatever it's called to take home and put in my Moto Maker design. My question, being a new customer, is this: will I be without a phone for 4 days? If they have to transfer my number to the new phone, am I just dead in the water while I wait for delivery or does the switch not take place until I activate the phone?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering a switch from Verizon to AT&T. My guess it you can still use your Sprint service for the next week. When the customized Moto X arrives you may need to take it back to the store so they can transfer your number to the new sim card.

I would also expect the 4 day wait time to be 4 business days. Any custom orders done on Friday may not be received until next Thursday. I would hope they come sooner.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If I wind up getting the X tomorrow (very likely) I will be switching from Sprint to ATT. I'm thinking about going to the store to check them out and picking up the personal pin or whatever it's called to take home and put in my Moto Maker design. My question, being a new customer, is this: will I be without a phone for 4 days? If they have to transfer my number to the new phone, am I just dead in the water while I wait for delivery or does the switch not take place until I activate the phone?

Someone said that they would give you a loaner phone, I'm a bit skeptical that they will do that though.

You can always get a new number and keep Sprint for 4 days and then when you get the phone port your Sprint number over. Then once the bill comes in call in and ask for a credit for the 4 days of service that you couldn't use.

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
"...use your Sprint service" - Ha. That's part of the reasons I'm switching - because it's unusable ;)

Jokes aside, that sounds reasonable. Out of curiosity, why are you switching from Verizon?

TonyStarks260

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If the loaner phone is true (which I have also heard referenced), then you would just get set up right at the store and when they port the number your Sprint service automatically ends. Otherwise you would have to complete the activation when you receive the custom phone. Either way you should be fine. They cant terminate your Sprint service until they activate a new sim with your current number tied to it.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity, why are you switching from Verizon?

My Verizon coverage has been crappy the last few months. Been getting a lot of 3G signal when I know I'm in a 4G area. On top of that, any Verizon phone I've owned does not get good a good signal inside my work building. I do live in an area that gets LTE for both Verizon and AT&T so LTE coverage should be similar for both services.

If I do purchase the Moto X I will be paying full price so I can avoid a contract. If I don't like the service in a few months I can sell the phone and move to another carrier. I will be losing out on my unlimited data on Verizon but my usage history rarely goes above 2GB for a month.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon coverage has been crappy the last few months. Been getting a lot of 3G signal when I know I'm in a 4G area. On top of that, any Verizon phone I've owned does not get good a good signal inside my work building. I do live in an area that gets LTE for both Verizon and AT&T so LTE coverage should be similar for both services.

If I do purchase the Moto X I will be paying full price so I can avoid a contract. If I don't like the service in a few months I can sell the phone and move to another carrier. I will be losing out on my unlimited data on Verizon but my usage history rarely goes above 2GB for a month.

Maybe you should just put your line on hold with verizon for the time being. Get the moto x with att, pay full price, not sign a contract and get a new number, test it out and if you don't like it go back to Verizon. Save your unlim data and a lot of headache. If you do like att then port your number over then.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

If you're going to do that then imo just do AT&T prepaid. $60 a month for unl/unl/and 2 GB of data and that includes LTE access.

If you buy refills from 3rd party sites then you can get the bill down to $56 ish a month. Imo better than paying $80+ a month for mostly the same service from postpaid.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to do that then imo just do AT&T prepaid. $60 a month for unl/unl/and 2 GB of data and that includes LTE access.

If you buy refills from 3rd party sites then you can get the bill down to $56 ish a month. Imo better than paying $80+ a month for mostly the same service from postpaid.

Maybe you should just put your line on hold with verizon for the time being. Get the moto x with att, pay full price, not sign a contract and get a new number, test it out and if you don't like it go back to Verizon. Save your unlim data and a lot of headache. If you do like att then port your number over then.

Will definitely look at both options.