What a botched launch this is turning out to be!

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
First it was the AT&T exclusivity for Moto Maker. Either they sold out or they weren't confident in their ability to build enough customized units for all US carriers. Either way, it's bad for the consumer.

Next, they back-peddled on customized engraving, which was one of the highlighted features of Moto Maker. And while engraving your phone may greatly reduce your resale value, for many this isn't a concern. Removing features like this does not show confidence in Moto's ability to make these phones, though I'm certainly glad they pulled the feature rather than producing shoddy engraving.

And now, you can't even buy the phone on launch day from the Moto Maker website! You have to go to the store to purchase the phone and then come back to the site to order your customized version. Customizing and buying your phone from the Moto Maker site was what most of us were waiting for. And they had plenty of time to prepare, including a beta test from all of you fine bloggers out there! Do you think this would happen to Apple at launch? Of course not. Apple has customers orders of magnitude greater than Moto ordering their phone on launch day (or preorder day, whichever the case may be). And while their website may go down or there activation servers may take a hit, they at least know how to launch a phone! They don't give carriers special treatment and they launch when they say their going to launch.

Now I think Apple has lost touch with the competitive market, but I'm starting to wonder if this Moto X is going to be a flop, launching with very little fanfare other than us tech geeks who look at all the blogs? They really could have made a big splash by launching Moto Maker for all carriers simultaneously. They almost went communication silent the last week or two here before launch, almost as if they weren't ready or if they wanted it to be a quiet launch...

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
First it was the AT&T exclusivity for Moto Maker. Either they sold out or they weren't confident in their ability to build enough customized units for all US carriers. Either way, it's bad for the consumer.

Next, they back-peddled on customized engraving, which was one of the highlighted features of Moto Maker. And while engraving your phone may greatly reduce your resale value, for many this isn't a concern. Removing features like this does not show confidence in Moto's ability to make these phones, though I'm certainly glad they pulled the feature rather than producing shoddy engraving.

And now, you can't even buy the phone on launch day from the Moto Maker website! You have to go to the store to purchase the phone and then come back to the site to order your customized version. Customizing and buying your phone from the Moto Maker site was what most of us were waiting for. And they had plenty of time to prepare, including a beta test from all of you fine bloggers out there! Do you think this would happen to Apple at launch? Of course not. Apple has customers orders of magnitude greater than Moto ordering their phone on launch day (or preorder day, whichever the case may be). And while their website may go down or there activation servers may take a hit, they at least know how to launch a phone! They don't give carriers special treatment and they launch when they say their going to launch.

Now I think Apple has lost touch with the competitive market, but I'm starting to wonder if this Moto X is going to be a flop, launching with very little fanfare other than us tech geeks who look at all the blogs? They really could have made a big splash by launching Moto Maker for all carriers simultaneously. They almost went communication silent the last week or two here before launch, almost as if they weren't ready or if they wanted it to be a quiet launch...

You can't know it's "botched" unless you know what their expectations were, and you don't.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing you must be too young to remember when Apple gave AT&T exclusive rights to the iPhone for 2 years.

Motorola has been making phones far longer than Apple. The only reason Apple had to do an exclusivity deal with AT&T back then was because they were just entering the market. It's not at all the same thing and you know it. It's a different time, and I will stand firm in my opinion that this launch has been handled very poorly.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Why are people still creating their own expectations out of fantasy rather than reality? It's been VERY clear for over a week now that you would have to obtain a Moto Maker card from an AT&T store after purchasing your phone...in person.

Stupidity isn't your fault; people are born stupid and there's nothing they can do about it. Ignorance, however, is very much a quality of your own choosing.

No, it has NOT been clear that you would have to buy a card from the AT&T store first. In fact, it was reported many times that you'd be able to purchase the phone either way. And in fact, you WILL be able to buy the phone directly on the Moto Maker site... just not yet, apparently because it says "coming soon". If you e-mail yourself a design that you have created on the Moto Maker site, the e-mail you get will say the following:

"Nice work. Now that you've got a phone designed, you can visit your local AT&T store to purchase a Moto X Card. Then, finish your order.

Prefer to wait until Moto X is available online? Register and we'll email you the minute you can submit your order!"

So it is very clear that you can EITHER buy the phone in-store and then use the code online, OR you can wait to buy the phone directly from the site. There was nothing said by Motorola (or anyone else) that you would HAVE to buy the phone in-store on launch day first. Not only is it disappointing that Moto could not get online ordering ready for launch day, the lack of communication is even more disappointing.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No, it has NOT been clear that you would have to buy a card from the AT&T store first. In fact, it was reported many times that you'd be able to purchase the phone either way. And in fact, you WILL be able to buy the phone directly on the Moto Maker site... just not yet, apparently because it says "coming soon". If you e-mail yourself a design that you have created on the Moto Maker site, the e-mail you get will say the following:

"Nice work. Now that you've got a phone designed, you can visit your local AT&T store to purchase a Moto X Card. Then, finish your order.

Prefer to wait until Moto X is available online? Register and we'll email you the minute you can submit your order!"

So it is very clear that you can EITHER buy the phone in-store and then use the code online, OR you can wait to buy the phone directly from the site. There was nothing said by Motorola (or anyone else) that you would HAVE to buy the phone in-store on launch day first. Not only is it disappointing that Moto could not get online ordering ready for launch day, the lack of communication is even more disappointing.

it could just be available later on in the day today, no?

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
As further proof that we WERE expecting to be able to buy the Moto X directly from Motorola, I provide Android Central's own Moto Maker preview article:

Customize your Moto X: A Moto Maker Preview | Android Central

Which clearly says,

"You'll be able to purchase your phone and design it directly through Motorola, if you want. You'll need to provide your account information to take advantage of any upgrades through AT&T.
Or, you can pay for your new Moto X in an AT&T store, receive a coupon code, and then design your phone at home. That's essentially what we did here. Presumably it'll work the same once it spreads beyond AT&T."

The problem is, Motorola never made it clear that online purchasing would not be ready at launch. Even as of last night, nobody knew that you'd have to go to the store to order the phone first.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As further proof that we WERE expecting to be able to buy the Moto X directly from Motorola, I provide Android Central's own Moto Maker preview article:

Customize your Moto X: A Moto Maker Preview | Android Central

Which clearly says,

"You'll be able to purchase your phone and design it directly through Motorola, if you want. You'll need to provide your account information to take advantage of any upgrades through AT&T.
Or, you can pay for your new Moto X in an AT&T store, receive a coupon code, and then design your phone at home. That's essentially what we did here. Presumably it'll work the same once it spreads beyond AT&T."

The problem is, Motorola never made it clear that online purchasing would not be ready at launch. Even as of last night, nobody knew that you'd have to go to the store to order the phone first.

either go to the store, or wait. it could be available later today.

rsen

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I see Travisimo's point. This should be an easier purchase and motomaker should have been good to go.

I walked into an AT&T store earlier this morning and they don't even have the phone on display. I don't get it.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I see Travisimo's point. This should be an easier purchase and motomaker should have been good to go.

I walked into an AT&T store earlier this morning and they don't even have the phone on display. I don't get it.

The corporate AT&T store here in my area has a white one on display, but absolutely NOTHING in terms of advertising or promotion. There aren't any colors to look at, no signage, not even a sticker in the window. In fact, it was being displayed right alongside every other Android phone. So much for seeing the colors in person before deciding on which one to buy. At least the store worker knew what the thing was and that you had to get a code to customize it online.

Average Joe is not going to know anything about this phone when walking into the AT&T store. They may even see the phone sitting there without any knowledge that you can actually customize it online. I just can't believe they haven't done a better job with this launch. The Moto X is the phone that could have truly been Google's "iPhone" moment. Now it's like they've done everything to actually discourage people from buying it: exclusive to AT&T, no engraving, no buying online, and now it looks like they might not even be able to meet their touted "4 day" turnaround:

Motorola hedges a bit on getting your custom Moto X to you in 4 days | Android Central

You guys can be apologists all you want, but I won't. I don't apologize for Apple when they screw up like with the maps debacle either. I am a fan of all technology with no particular attachment to any one device, manufacturer, or operating system. I'm just disappointed because this could have been handled much better. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, and I'm likely going to wait this one out. I'm hoping there aren't any early adopter growing pains for initial devices that get shipped out... it's almost like this AT&T exclusivity deal was a way to beta test the system (even though they somewhat did that by letting the bloggers order phones early).

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The corporate AT&T store here in my area has a white one on display, but absolutely NOTHING in terms of advertising or promotion. There aren't any colors to look at, no signage, not even a sticker in the window. In fact, it was being displayed right alongside every other Android phone. So much for seeing the colors in person before deciding on which one to buy. At least the store worker knew what the thing was and that you had to get a code to customize it online.

Average Joe is not going to know anything about this phone when walking into the AT&T store. They may even see the phone sitting there without any knowledge that you can actually customize it online. I just can't believe they haven't done a better job with this launch. The Moto X is the phone that could have truly been Google's "iPhone" moment. Now it's like they've done everything to actually discourage people from buying it: exclusive to AT&T, no engraving, no buying online, and now it looks like they might not even be able to meet their touted "4 day" turnaround:

Motorola hedges a bit on getting your custom Moto X to you in 4 days | Android Central

You guys can be apologists all you want, but I won't. I don't apologize for Apple when they screw up like with the maps debacle either. I am a fan of all technology with no particular attachment to any one device, manufacturer, or operating system. I'm just disappointed because this could have been handled much better. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, and I'm likely going to wait this one out. I'm hoping there aren't any early adopter growing pains for initial devices that get shipped out... it's almost like this AT&T exclusivity deal was a way to beta test the system (even though they somewhat did that by letting the bloggers order phones early).

You have 2 things going on in your posts. One is obviously upsettedness that you're not getting something, and the other is sort of this concern that they're not going to be successful, but it's a sort of angry concern which doesn't really make much sense. You can forget the latter, cuz they'll do just fine. And guess what else, you can't always get what you want, whether that be a phone in color on day 1, or whatever else is leaving a bad taste in your mouth about it. I'm not apologizing for them cuz who gives a s--t, what is it to you? a couple of days? Sprint's not getting this phone for weeks probably which is way more of a bummer than not getting it on day 1. i'm not getting a color either. so what. yeah i want pink buttons, but dear heavens. Ya know what a botched launch is? Palm pre, and party because of it that whole o/s is dead. Now that's some suck-a-- s--t to be pissed about.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
That sounds like a problem with that AT&T store or with AT&T, not with Motorola.

Should be Motorola's problem if they want to sell a load of Moto X's. AT&T won't care what phone they sell to their consumers as long as they end up getting them on contract. Moto on the other hand should be concerned if AT&T doesn't have the means to push the X.

bkosh84

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Google's iPhone moment? Google doesn't need an iPhone moment.. Android controls 80% of the market.. The companies making Android phone don't give a rats behind about an iPhone moment anymore because they are rolling in the money regardless of how Apple changes things up on their end..

Google isn't competing with Apple anymore. The fight is over.. Why do you think the patent lawsuits haven't been as heavy this year like they were the past two years?

And could this launch have been handled different? Eh, maybe, but I don't get paid lots of money to work for these tech companies and deal with PR and I damn well won't be a "armchair quarterback" saying how it should have been done.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Google's iPhone moment? Google doesn't need an iPhone moment.. Android controls 80% of the market.. The companies making Android phone don't give a rats behind about an iPhone moment anymore because they are rolling in the money regardless of how Apple changes things up on their end..

Google isn't competing with Apple anymore. The fight is over.. Why do you think the patent lawsuits haven't been as heavy this year like they were the past two years?

And could this launch have been handled different? Eh, maybe, but I don't get paid lots of money to work for these tech companies and deal with PR and I damn well won't be a "armchair quarterback" saying how it should have been done.

I think that should read as "Motorola's iPhone moment" and not Google. Motorola is still losing money significantly and they need something to turn their fortunes around. Google is probably not going to bankroll their losses indefinitely.

And I'm not sure anyone is advocating how it should have been done - just that the way it's been done doesn't seem effective.

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was able to participate in the beta. I can tell you for sure that they are aware of several issues and are working hard to get the kinks worked out. The executive staff is awesome. I'm a nobody in the tech world and have talked to several of the highest ranking members of Motorola. They are taking this launch "very seriously".

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
They do seem to be struggling a little more that I thought they would. Reports of 12 days for delivery are long over the 4 day mark. That said, we have become very impatient, haven't we? Two weeks really is not that long in the grand scheme of things. But I get it. I pre-ordered a Maxx and I am chomping at the bit for 8/27 to get here so I can start playing with it. :)

I don't think I would call it a botched launch though, that will only be the case if they order times or other issues are not handled well. If they find ways to keep the customers happy, it will be a success. The fact that they seem to be out stripping their demand forecast is good news. Now, they just have to find a way to catch up.

For those that were calling for this option to open on all carriers at once, I think this proves one carrier at a time was a smart decision. If this was a 4 carrier launch, ohhh my. . . .

I hope they are successful. This is a cool phone, and customization is a cool feature that nobody has been able to pull off. They will learn a lot about their supply chain over the next month or so, and workout a lot of kinks. If they learn enough to keep this going and expand what they can customize for future models, this could become a competitive advantage. If not, it will just fade way.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/2...ull-retail-have-to-be-attached-to-an-account/

Wow, is this true too? Do I understand this correctly to mean that you can currently only buy a customized Moto X if you are upgrade-eligible? Are they trying to reduce the number of customers who can buy the darn thing so that they can manage the manufacturing process, or is this an AT&T restriction?

So here's how I see it: the defining feature of the Moto X is its customizability through Moto Maker. However, at launch there are the following restrictions:

- Only AT&T customers can use Moto Maker
- Cannot buy one through Motorola directly, only in-store
- Cannot get the engraving yet
- Cannot get the wooden backs yet
- Cannot buy one at full retail / off contract?
- Likely will not get one in the advertised "4 days"
- AT&T stores in my area don't even have displays to see the colors / customization (not even any advertising)

Did I miss anything?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/2...ull-retail-have-to-be-attached-to-an-account/

Wow, is this true too? Do I understand this correctly to mean that you can currently only buy a customized Moto X if you are upgrade-eligible? Are they trying to reduce the number of customers who can buy the darn thing so that they can manage the manufacturing process, or is this an AT&T restriction?

So here's how I see it: the defining feature of the Moto X is its customizability through Moto Maker. However, at launch there are the following restrictions:

- Only AT&T customers can use Moto Maker
- Cannot buy one through Motorola directly, only in-store
- Cannot get the engraving yet
- Cannot get the wooden backs yet
- Cannot buy one at full retail / off contract?
- Likely will not get one in the advertised "4 days"
- AT&T stores in my area don't even have displays to see the colors / customization (not even any advertising)

Did I miss anything?

haven't all your bullet points not been established already? i don't think anyone here has said this has been a smooth launch. do you need for everyone to confirm your opinion of "botched launch"?.

what if we all say you're right, blotched launch. okay. now what.
and a company had an unsmooth launch of a product. has this affected you personally in some way?