Moto X Battery Life

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
What a joke you people are you take the time to post a screen shot that doesnt tell us anything except Standby time, and then take the time to type - your screen on time! Why not post that pic! 30 minutes of screen on time and 25$ battery usage Sucks - Do the math that means 2 hours or less of Actual Screen on time per charge.
Yeah, but if you extrapolate it out the way you are you get 2 hours of screen time and 40 hours total. That's way more than 24 hours. The screen shot from the OP is actually close to what I have on my S4 right now. I have a half hour of screen time and 11 hours total. However, I don't have the always on voice recognition, active notifications and assist running all the time, either. I've also done some battery life optimization with limiting syncing.

To get super high screen time on any phone you have to use it a lot. The more you use the screen the more screen time you'll get. Consider that if you don't use the screen at all your battery will eventually drain and you'd get no screen time. This will happen with every phone that is able to do anything when idle (I'd hope that mine would at least get phone calls and texts). So if you go the opposite way, and use the screen as much as possible much less of the battery will go towards idle time functions because the phone won't be on anywhere near as long but your screen on time will be way longer. One of the selling points of the Moto X is that it can do a bunch of stuff while idle and not destroy the battery. So you get at least as good of battery life as other phones, but it does more while idle.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My Gnex lasts 8 hours on WiFi. I want to burn it in a bucket of gasoline as soon as I get my next phone. The Gnex was a gigantic turd that most every site bragged was so friggin' awesome simply because it was a Nexus. Maybe the GSM version isn't as bad but the Verizon version sucks more than a White House intern.
I realize everyone's usage is different, but seriously dude, you probably have some nasty rogue apps running. Here's my VZW GNex as of right now, on WiFi most of the day other than for literally 10 minutes. Things aren't even tweaked as well as they could be (look at those crazy partial wake locks) from my last dirty flash to roll back onto CM10 from CM10.1.

View attachment 78472 View attachment 78473 View attachment 78474 View attachment 78475

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
GNex gets 1.75 hours of screen on in 8 hours total use when playing a graphics intensive game (asphalt 8) for 1.5 hours. It gets 11-17 hours in my "normal" usage (usually averages closer to 13-14), of which is 2-3 hours screen on and the rest idling, depending on signal strengths, etc. For simplicity we'll call it 2.5 out of 13.

That last photo showing 2 hours 38 minutes is on track to hit a little over 3 hours and 15 minutes screen on out of a full 100% in a 21 hour day. This is a 30% increase in screen on and 62% increase in total usage time.

The battery in the GNex is either 1800 or 1850mAH, while the X is 2200mAH, an increase of 19% (from the 1850) to 20% (from the 1800). So for a 19% or 20% larger battery, it's also more efficient, in that it's getting 30% more screen on and 62% more total usage time based on the AT&T customer's post. And that's before taking into account any changes in usage based on active notifications, etc.

% increase calculated as (new-old)/(old)

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Realistically, if you wake up, pull it off the charger, do everything you need/want to do, get home and when you put it back on the charger it's still at 30-50%... it's doing it's job.

This is all I'm looking for. A phone that can keep up with my wife's iPhone. No more swapping out batteries.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
This had to be the stupidest reply ever in annals of Forum replies!
"That means that you can spend days just checking your time and managing your notifications because you'd never have to turn on your phone."
Well thats just amazing, I can Look at a clock and notifications, But god forbid I act on one and Turn on my phone!

First off, if you think having the clock and notifications on all the time wont drain your battery, you are delusional. Will they drain as much as turning on the whole screen for the few seconds it takes, Probably not, But since they are on ALMOST ALL OF THE TIME, It will more than make up for it and in the end, do just as much battery drain. Same goes for the Always Listening mode!
You people actually think Googlerola Reinvented the Wheel almost overnight, Drink the Kool-Aide much?

And then there was this, Think before typing response....
"That said, if you have the phone on and surfing the internet or playing games you are bypassing the Moto X's best battery saving features"
So if I actually use my phone as anything more than a clock, Imagine somebody doing that. I am defeating Googlerolas Secret weapon in Battery Drain - Which Is Don't use your Phone, keep it off!
You are a Genius Gump!

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Impressive! 2H 50M screen on time and 21 hours of standby
So basically it;s no better then My Gnex or any other Android Phone.
People, Standby time doesn't matter, Seriously! Post your screen-on time Pics not the Battery % pic
If i put my Gnex in a drawer and never turn it on I get like 8 Days of standby, What good is that?

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Another World class Stupid post!
What can you do when the phone is idle?
Check the time? See a notification? Impressive And you never act on them? I can check my notifications in 2 seconds which uses much less battery time then the screen always being on. I bought a phone to use, not to look at a clock.

"To get super high screen time on any phone you have to use it a lot. The more you use the screen the more screen time you'll get. " I have no idea WTF you are talking about there, Again I didnt buy a phone to leave it in standby.

And then you told us you have disabled all the new features.
" I don't have the always on voice recognition, active notifications and assist running all the time, either. I've also done some battery life optimization with limiting syncing."
Googlerola Claimed 24 hours of Mixed Usage with everything enabled. So what's your point? The fact that their "Mixed Usage" includes 20+ Hours of standby is just gravy!

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
This had to be the stupidest reply ever in annals of Forum replies!
"That means that you can spend days just checking your time and managing your notifications because you'd never have to turn on your phone."
Well thats just amazing, I can Look at a clock and notifications, But god forbid I act on one and Turn on my phone!

First off, if you think having the clock and notifications on all the time wont drain your battery, you are delusional. Will they drain as much as turning on the whole screen for the few seconds it takes, Probably not, But since they are on ALMOST ALL OF THE TIME, It will more than make up for it and in the end, do just as much battery drain. Same goes for the Always Listening mode!
You people actually think Googlerola Reinvented the Wheel almost overnight, Drink the Kool-Aide much?

And then there was this, Think before typing response....
"That said, if you have the phone on and surfing the internet or playing games you are bypassing the Moto X's best battery saving features"
So if I actually use my phone as anything more than a clock, Imagine somebody doing that. I am defeating Googlerolas Secret weapon in Battery Drain - Which Is Don't use your Phone, keep it off!
You are a Genius Gump!

That's not what I was saying, yes it will still drain the battery, but due to the low energy processors handling the work while the phone is asleep the Moto X has been shown to have a MUCH lower standby battery drain by multiple reviewers. That means that there is negligible drain between actual times where you turn on the phone to use it.

Lets say you use some phones. Each is used, with 30 minutes in a game, a few emails, about an hour of screen on time spending time on the web browser, and then a few phone calls. The Moto X has shown to have the same heavy usage time as the Galaxy S4. Lets say the 30 minutes of game drains each battery by 20%. From there the Moto X will then drain much slower than the Galaxy S4, lets 2% per hour for the Moto X and 5% for the S4. At the lunch break you spend an hour web browsing. At the beginning of the lunch break you'd be at 73% on the Moto X and 62.5% on the Galaxy S4. The hour of web browsing drains each battery another 20%, leaving the Moto X at 53% and the Galaxy S4 to 42.5%. At the end of a work day you make two phone calls. At this time the Moto X has 45% remaining and the Galaxy S4 has 22.5%.

That means that with the same actual usage of a Moto X, because you don't need to constantly turn on the phone to manage your life you will end up with a much longer lasting battery even if you have the exact same usage between devices.

The first line that you quoted is saying that yes, all phones will have multiple days of stand-by time. During this standby time Galaxy S4's, HTC One's, iPhone 5's, and all other conventional phones are useless because they don't give you any useful information. The Moto X on the other hand will still be giving you the time and informing you of any notifications you receive. Yes I agree it isn't completely capable during this time but it can do so much more than its competitors without substantial battery drain.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Impressive! 2H 50M screen on time and 21 hours of standby
So basically it;s no better then My Gnex or any other Android Phone.
People, Standby time doesn't matter, Seriously! Post your screen-on time Pics not the Battery % pic
If i put my Gnex in a drawer and never turn it on I get like 8 Days of standby, What good is that?

If you leave you Gnex in the drawer you get 8 days of a completely black screen.

If you leave a Moto X on a table for 8 days you get regular information about time and notifications. I'll take the actual somewhat useful 8 days.

The point of the Moto X is that its idle battery drain is negligible due to the contextual and language processors so it saves your battery for when you actually need it. Meanwhile when the phone is idle it is still much more useful to its owner by giving them actual real-life information.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
What can you do when the phone is idle?
Check the time? See a notification? Impressive And you never act on them? I can check my notifications in 2 seconds which uses much less battery time then the screen always being on. I bought a phone to use, not to look at a clock.

"To get super high screen time on any phone you have to use it a lot. The more you use the screen the more screen time you'll get. " I have no idea WTF you are talking about there, Again I didnt buy a phone to leave it in standby.

" I don't have the always on voice recognition, active notifications and assist running all the time, either. I've also done some battery life optimization with limiting syncing."
Googlerola Claimed 24 hours of Mixed Usage with everything enabled. So what's your point? The fact that their "Mixed Usage" includes 20+ Hours of standby is just gravy!

You really need to work on your reading comprehension and quit being such an imbecile.

The post you quoted was referring to his experiences with his GS4. He was saying that his GS4 does not have all the features of the Moto X and in order to achieve his limited battery life he had to limit syncing.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

A total of eight posts and this is how you open one of them. Regardless if I agree with you or not.....dude.....you need to get laid or something. You have quite a lot of tension built up there. ;)

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
And you have now hit the Trifecta!
Every Claim you makes is a Googlerola Marketing Claim, or from a PAID reviewer. There is no Proof that any of Googlerola's Super Secret, New this and that Technology has any useful or Factual improvements to battery life. In fact, Real world reviews are pointing to the exact opposite. The unpaid reviewers and are claiming as little as 3 hours of Screen on Time ( The only stat that matters) on brand new batteries. Which is a disgrace. My Gnex does better then that and the battery is two years old.
As I have said repeatedly and you are not comprehending, I dont give a crap about Standby time. The Only Thing that matters is how long I can use my phone with the screen on or talking or streaming or using the GPS. For the two second it takes to check my battery and slide down the notification screen I can See and Act on Several Things at the same time vs the Notox which tells me the time and most recent notification. If i was anal retentive like all you new Moto-x disciples, and checked it every 10 mins, I would still use less battery than having it displayed constantly. Truthfully, I can count on one hand the amount of times i fired up my phone to check the time or for notifications I hadn't already been made aware of. If my phone is out, it's being used, When it's not it's because the battery is drained which is after 2.5 to 3.5 hours. All your posts have proven is that you can't differentiate between Phone usage and looking at a pretty paperweight with a digi clock on it.
"That means that with the same actual usage of a Moto X, because you don't need to constantly turn on the phone to manage your life you will end up with a much longer lasting battery even if you have the exact same usage between devices."
Actually, that means with the same Actual Usage, Bost phones will be dead at the same time! Usage means usage, Not standby

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I've only had my Verizon Moto X for a few hours now but my experience has been quite good. First off I have been at work all day, this building basically obliterates every single Verizon phone anyone here uses....I'm talking iPhones, Android, Blackberry, etc... My phone has been switching on and off from 4G, 3G and 1x data which is normal here but really drains any battery so I feel this is a good "worst case scenario" test for my new phone. Now that said I'm also on my first charge and didn't really allow much time to charge after it hit 100%. With wifi off all day, running some benchmarks and showing off "OK Google Now", here are my results.

I have 48% of my battery left, 4hrs 55min on battery, 1hr 3min of voice calls and 1hr 33min of on screen time.

Now this is actually equal if not better than my Bionic was with the extended battery at this location. I am personally very happy at this point with the phone.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I posted actual screen shots in response to previous posts made by you showing screen on time of over 5 hours. Guess you have selectively ignored those.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I didn't disable them, they don't exist on my S4. That particular screen shot shows that the Moto X gets at least as good of battery as an S4, but with a bunch of other stuff turned on. My guess is that he just grabbed the phone and started using it rather than trying to optimize his battery use like I did with my S4. If I had continuous voice activation on my battery would be dead at that point. Also, 20 hours of standby and 4 hours of screen time with all of the location, continuous voice, active notifications and the activity monitor running is extremely good battery life. I'm not aware of any other phone besides the other, new Motorolas, that can do that. Heck, 20 hours of standby and 4 hours of screen time is still pretty good even with that stuff off.

You may not care about idle time functionality, but that isn't universal. The thing that sets these new Motorola phones apart is how much extra functionality you get while the phone is idle. Instead of being a lump that you have to carry around for 14 hours just so you can use it for 2 hours, you get something that has the potential to be much more useful for a much larger percent of the day.

I explained it in the rest of the post you conveniently neglected to "quote." Your phone will use battery while idle. The more battery your phone uses while idle, the less there is for the screen. So to maximize the amount of screen time you get you have to minimize the idle time. To do that you have to use the phone more. So using the screen more will give you a longer screen on time. Whether you personally care about the idle time functionality is meaningless. It changes nothing about how phones use batteries.

If you don't care about idle time functionality then why are you even looking at posts about a phone that's specifically designed to give more idle time functionality with less battery usage?

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
@somfw
You again are ignoring the critical component. Many reviewers (who were not paid by Motorola even though they WERE loaned their phones for a few weeks) remarked on the amazingly low idle battery drain rate. This DOES directly impact the longevity of the battery life of a phone and will DIRECTLY determine whether your phone will make it to the end of the day when you don't need it anymore.

As my illustration attempted to show, if the sub processors do handle the sensors and standby processing work then the phones battery will only be draining substantially when you actually need to use the phone.

A stock GNex is draining battery at a substantial rate throughout the day because even when standby it's having to monitor itself, the network, and perform any background syncing required. From testers it appears that these functions are handled by the contextual processor leading to a substantially reduced idle time drain letting you save your actual battery usage for when the screen is on.

YOU may run your phones battery to the ground whenever you decide to actually use it if you only ever browse on it for many hours in a row, but if you spread the browsing out throughout the day you'd find that the Moto X probably will give you more flexibility on how long you can actually use it.

BOTH the standby usage and the screen on usage matters in the grand-scheme of having a usable personal communications device because you don't have your screen on 100% of the time that it is off the charger, if you can have no battery usage when you don't need your phone then you will still have it when you do need it.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
If you don't care about idle time functionality then why are you even looking at posts about a phone that's specifically designed to give more idle time functionality with less battery usage?

Oh, he's just having fun trolling.

He's probably a reincarnation of that Jeremy_Collins somebody that was having fun trolling the Rant thread about the sd card usage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow