Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tdizzel
  • 1 Post By nemov
  • 1 Post By jephanie
  • 1 Post By JungleLarry
  • 1 Post By JungleLarry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why NO Sports teams?

Looking through the Moto X Maker thread above, and making my own "mock" Moto X (or trying to) for what is soon to be my new favorite sports team, the Portland Timbers, and it became obviously clear that Moto should've made licensing deals with everyone NCAA, MLB, NFL, MLS, NHL.

How about being able to have the team/college logo engraved on the back!

I would LOVE a Navy back, white front with blue accents - with Sporting KC on the back.
    Someone made a black phone with yellow accents - it just needed the Iowa Hawk on the back.

Maybe for the next version, Moto X 2.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Global Posts
    5,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Why NO Sports teams??!?!?!!?

Great idea!

Sent it to their Twitter and G+ pages just to make sure someone thought of it.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

My guess is that they're ironing out their processes and gauging the demand before they move to that stage. I'd gamble that they're in negotiations with at least some of the leagues now and I would be very surprised if we didn't see the availability within the next generation or two.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    trandz likes this.

If they add sports teams they'll have to increase the price to pay for licensing.
    Thanked by 2:
    Ry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nemov View Post
    If they add sports teams they'll have to increase the price to pay for licensing.
    +1. Not only does the engraving become that much more complex as opposed to stamp pressing, but you're also talking added licensing fees. I would like to think some clear cases may be made with team logos centered on the back. That way, it is stamped instead of engraved (cheaper) and licensing fees can be more easily folded into the already highly inflated costs of the cases.
    DC Wuff likes this.

Yes they would have to increase the price because of licensing, but in this case people would be more than happy to pay the extra price. Can you imagine how high the phone sales would be if people on a specific campus could buy a phone that had school colors and logo? Or the fans that would buy a Cowboys edition phone? Maybe release it in Europe and have a ManU edition or a Barcelona edition. The phone would go beyond customization and would touch on people's emotions instead, which would be a huge plus.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Now we're really reaching into the bottom of the barrel to find things to complain about, aren't we....

1. There's nothing stopping them from updating Moto Maker in the future to include more custom designs.
    2. Obtaining brand licensing from professional sports teams is a notoriously insane process. Steelers fan? I hope you like the NFL logo on your phone too, because that's the only way it's going to happen.
    3. Shut up.
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts

check out this article:

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    Now we're really reaching into the bottom of the barrel to find things to complain about, aren't we....

1. There's nothing stopping them from updating Moto Maker in the future to include more custom designs.
    2. Obtaining brand licensing from professional sports teams is a notoriously insane process. Steelers fan? I hope you like the NFL logo on your phone too, because that's the only way it's going to happen.
    3. Shut up.
    Where do you see anyone complaining?

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hodan View Post
    it became obviously clear that Moto should've made licensing deals with everyone NCAA, MLB, NFL, MLS, NHL.
    So obvious. So clear.

I'm a big car fan. It's so obviously clear that they should've struck a deal to include auto manufacturer emblems in Moto Maker.

I'm a big golf fan. Where's my Callaway Moto X option?

I'm a big tree fan. How come I can't get a wood option? Oh wait.
    dj ozone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    So obvious. So clear.

I'm a big car fan. It's so obviously clear that they should've struck a deal to include auto manufacturer emblems in Moto Maker.

I'm a big golf fan. Where's my Callaway Moto X option?

I'm a big tree fan. How come I can't get a wood option? Oh wait.
    All of which are good ideas. I still see no complaining, Just ideas for more opportunities and more chances for further customization, which again isn't a bad thing. As the OP, and yourself stated, maybe later on in further versions.

No reason to try and stir the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    check out this article:

Makes me wonder if Verizon could pull this off as an exclusive since the do have a deal with the NFL already.

Although I would be happy to make mine based on the color schemes available.

Edited for additional thoughts.

This would cost more than a lot of people think. The teams will want their EXACT Pantone color used. So those colors would have to be developed for the materials being used to make sure they are true to spec. Then you would have to forecast the number of units that would be needed. That forecasting will be a real *****. I don't think they can forecast how many phones they are going to customize, let alone how many would use official team colors. And that is just for starters, I am sure there are many other barriers I have not thought of.

TL;DR: These things always seem simple until you start to peel the onion. If it were easy, it would have been done by now.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

All of which are good ideas. I still see no complaining, Just ideas for more opportunities and more chances for further customization, which again isn't a bad thing. As the OP, and yourself stated, maybe later on in further versions.

No reason to try and stir the pot.
    Don't worry, I'll forgive you.

Go Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by SteelGator View Post
    Makes me wonder if Verizon could pull this off as an exclusive since the do have a deal with the NFL already.

Although I would be happy to make mine based on the color schemes available.

Edited for additional thoughts.

This would cost more than a lot of people think. The teams will want their EXACT Pantone color used. So those colors would have to be developed for the materials being used to make sure they are true to spec. Then you would have to forecast the number of units that would be needed. That forecasting will be a real *****. I don't think they can forecast how many phones they are going to customize, let alone how many would use official team colors. And that is just for starters, I am sure there are many other barriers I have not thought of.

TL;DR: These things always seem simple until you start to peel the onion. If it were easy, it would have been done by now.
    That's a good point, if anyone would be able to get the licensing it would be Verizon. As pointed out in the article, there are a lot of teams covered with the colors that they have now. If they had a few more (like orange!!) then I'm sure the majority of teams, regardless of sport, would be easily attained. Regardless of specific team colors, I'm sure that just the basic colors they have now are a lot more difficult than people think.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Um. See OP.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums