Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dwd3885
  • 1 Post By TheLegoman
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Scratched already! What do I do?

I put my Moto X face-down and noticed I could spin it a little. Then a picked it up and noticed it had semi-circular scratches. I never got a scratch on my GS2 and I never had a screen protector on it. I assume this has Gorilla Glass 3 which is supposed to be stronger than GG1. Could the scratches be removed with cleaning? What's the best way to get rid of them?

Default Re: Scratched already! What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Slusho64 View Post
    I put my Moto X face-down and noticed I could spin it a little. Then a picked it up and noticed it had semi-circular scratches. I never got a scratch on my GS2 and I never had a screen protector on it. I assume this has Gorilla Glass 3 which is supposed to be stronger than GG1. Could the scratches be removed with cleaning? What's the best way to get rid of them?
    Do you have insurance?

Gorilla glass or anything will scratch if theres even the tiniest piece of sand...... thats next hardness to sapphire and diamong....sand is your worst enemy and just a spot will scratch any glass...gorilla or not...sorry..

Put a invisible shield wet film on it and it may hide it from being seen
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Invisible shield looks and feels terrible, unless you're talking about their newer "HD" version, which I haven't seen up close yet.

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts

Invisible shield looks and feels terrible, unless you're talking about their newer "HD" version, which I haven't seen up close yet.
    Sorry. If you don't want to protect it then can't feel bad when things happen.

Posted via Android Central App
    CRS1 likes this.

This is precisely why I use a screen protector. Sand and dust are a smartphone screen's worst enemy. I have also noticed that cleaning a screen can really scratch it up if there are dust and dirt particles on it. I recommend that you purchase a screen protector as there is not much else you can do at this point.

dmark44 likes this.

Yeah, IS is gross and also not sure about their HD, but try Phantom Skinz. They posted on fb today that their moto x is ready tomrw. $15 for 2 shields but warning, they are a b--ch to apply, must google around for perfect instructions and make sure you have time to do it right.

Just checked reviews for Zagg HD, thumbs up apparently.

Andi could be wrong, but i've heard the wet apply plastic screen protectors will hide the scratches already on it somehow.
    Last edited by paisley99; 08-30-2013 at 01:47 PM.

most popular misconception!!! Gorilla glass is strong but the oleophobic coating make it hard to scratch.
    sand is the most common cause of scratch. the reason is sand has hardness higher than the gorilla glass + oleophobic coating
    Any item which has hardness less than gorilla glass wont scratch it
    Thats the same reason why a Diamond can cut glass but not a knife.
    You never got scratch on your GS2 because you were lucky.

If he haves insurance couldn't he just drop it accidentally and get a new one? If he doesn't have insurance but haves AT&T he can still get insurance. I think he haves 30-90 days to get the AT&T insurance if he hasn't already. That way he can replace the unit sometime in the future. I wouldn't advise anytime soon because they may be suspicious but ya
    Last edited by globster2000; 08-30-2013 at 01:48 PM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well I've heard of people putting their phones face-down (like that feature that makes it go silent when you do that) so I didn't think all those people were being crazy and ruining their phones. I guess the lip on my GS2 protected it, and sand doesn't scratch it unless pressure is applied (so it wouldn't scratch it in my pocket). The problem with putting on a screen protector is they put a ton of R&D money into designing a phone with curved edges and then you start putting stuff on it that makes it not feel as good. It's a conundrum to be sure... Another problem is that they're nigh-impossible to put on. I spent hours putting them on my iPod touch, and even had a guy in a mall put one on, but he ended up ruining 5 of them and giving up. And that was his job. Has anyone used something like Displex? Reviews seem hit and miss. In any event, I can always send it back to Moto.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    most popular misconception!!! Gorilla glass is strong but the oleophobic coating make it hard to scratch.
    sand is the most common cause of scratch. the reason is sand has hardness higher than the gorilla glass + oleophobic coating
    Any item which has hardness less than gorilla glass wont scratch it
    Thats the same reason why a Diamond can cut glass but not a knife.
    You never got scratch on your GS2 because you were lucky.
    Im not sure you understand oleophobic? The oleophobic coating, if any, is designed to prevent/ repel oily fingerprints not protect from scratches.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app

Contact Motorola! I had a scratched screen 3 months after I purchased the phone and customer support was amazing. They replaced the phone with basically no questions asked.

The Brilliant Screen Protectors right on Motorola's website work great and are some of the easiest to apply that I've ever used (unlike a few other suggestions on this thread.)

I had my phone in my pocket with a debit card, and the raised letters on the card scratched up the screen protector in two spots, so I was glad it wasn't directly rubbing the screen. Better safe than sorry when it comes to the screen!

Sent from my Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    Yeah, IS is gross and also not sure about their HD, but try Phantom Skinz. They posted on fb today that their moto x is ready tomrw. $15 for 2 shields but warning, they are a b--ch to apply, must google around for perfect instructions and make sure you have time to do it right.

Just checked reviews for Zagg HD, thumbs up apparently.

Andi could be wrong, but i've heard the wet apply plastic screen protectors will hide the scratches already on it somehow.
    I just use standard cheap screen protectors from amazon. They get delivered for free with my prime membership abd they feel just like glass. The Zagg protectors are junk. I have tried them on one of my tablets and it feels like rubber under your finger. And they aren't "invisible" by any means. They have a really bad orange peel and cloudiness. Don't reccomend them at all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EL9...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

I use these