Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    GMC MaXx's Avatar

    Posts
    204 Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco

    Default Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Not pushing a button to see the time doesn't seem like a big deal, but holy cow, it's awesome! On my Galaxy Nexus I would push the button countless times a day just to see if I missed any notifications or to check the time. Now when I pull the Moto X out of my pocket the time and any notifications are already shown without hitting a button to turn on the screen. And I don't have to hit a button to turn the screen off before going back in the pocket. Also, when the phone is sitting on my desk I just give it a nudge and the screen shows me the time. Its such a minor thing, but makes a world of difference in the awesomeness of the Moto X!

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by GMC MaXx View Post
    Also, when the phone is sitting on my desk I just give it a nudge and the screen shows me the time. Its such a minor thing, but makes a world of difference in the awesomeness of the Moto X!
    One thing I felt misled by with every review was that the phone had to be screen down, then flipped over to have the active notification to "breathe." But, as you point out, if it is sitting screen up, all you need to do is nudge the phone a bit and it activates the notification. That is VERY cool, IMO.
    GMC MaXx likes this.
  3. #3  
    Phil Nickinson's Avatar
    Android Central Editor in Chief

    Posts
    3,864 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,031 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by jephanie View Post
    One thing I felt misled by with every review was that the phone had to be screen down, then flipped over to have the active notification to "breathe." But, as you point out, if it is sitting screen up, all you need to do is nudge the phone a bit and it activates the notification. That is VERY cool, IMO.
    Misled? I wouldn't say so.

    You just put your phone down and put it to sleep. Why would it need to start breathing right away? You *just* put it down.

    As soon as a new notification pings, it starts breathing. Or, yes. Motion will trigger it.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by GMC MaXx View Post
    Not pushing a button to see the time doesn't seem like a big deal, but holy cow, it's awesome! On my Galaxy Nexus I would push the button countless times a day just to see if I missed any notifications or to check the time. Now when I pull the Moto X out of my pocket the time and any notifications are already shown without hitting a button to turn on the screen. And I don't have to hit a button to turn the screen off before going back in the pocket. Also, when the phone is sitting on my desk I just give it a nudge and the screen shows me the time. Its such a minor thing, but makes a world of difference in the awesomeness of the Moto X!

    Posted via Android Central App
    I agree pulling out of pocket and instantly seeing time is pretty great.

    -Sent from my Droid Mini.-
  5. #5  
    CellGuy's Avatar

    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Lol at being misled.

    You have to watch out for those reviewers, they are out to get you.

    Posted via Android Central App
    big_time2 likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Looking forward to buying it when it's released in the Play Store, but I was wondering how the whole "not pushing a button" thing differs from Gravity Screen app in the Play Store?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Misled? I wouldn't say so.

    You just put your phone down and put it to sleep. Why would it need to start breathing right away? You *just* put it down.

    As soon as a new notification pings, it starts breathing. Or, yes. Motion will trigger it.
    What I mean is that I thought the time display would only appear (when no notifications were present) if the phone was screen down and the user would flip it over to look at the screen. I just think its even better that if it is idle but screen up, you can just nudge it or pick it up-even just one corner-and the display will show the time and unlock icon. When I read through all the reviews, they seemed to focus on how the notifications would drive that; this neat little part just didn't seem to stand out during my readings. Not a big deal--but a very need fully-thought-out idea on Moto's part!
  8. #8  
    grooks's Avatar

    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by spmode View Post
    Looking forward to buying it when it's released in the Play Store, but I was wondering how the whole "not pushing a button" thing differs from Gravity Screen app in the Play Store?
    The active notifications doesn't turn on the entire screen. It only light us a portion of the screen to show the time and whether you have any notifications. From this area you can do nothing or get a preview of the last notification. You also have the ability to dismiss notifications without turning on the display (does not dismiss from the notification tray).

    Sent from my Nexus 7
    Thanked by:
    spmode 
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by CellGuy View Post
    Lol at being misled.

    You have to watch out for those reviewers, they are out to get you.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Poor choice of words on my part. I thought that part of the way the X handles itself was just not clearly explained, if at all. But it is a tiny part of the much bigger picture reviewers have to provide. So I look at it as a very neat "bonus" to all the other info the reviewers were able to highlight. You guys are taking my comment a little too harshly. LOL
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Active Display is a killer feature. I like the way Motorola is going, cutting back on all bloats and include feature which is really useful without modifying Android(as an app)
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Yeah but doesn't it come unlocked in your pocket easily? If my screen is turned on in my pocket on my nexus 4, it always comes unlocked, as I've learned from turning off my bluetooth headset that for some reason always turns on the screen

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    Yeah but doesn't it come unlocked in your pocket easily? If my screen is turned on in my pocket on my nexus 4, it always comes unlocked, as I've learned from turning off my bluetooth headset that for some reason always turns on the screen

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    The point of the Contextual processor is that it can accurately compile data from the sensors even even the phone is asleep so that the screen does not turn on when the phone is in your pocket or upside down on a table.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Can someone please answer these questions: If Moto X is sitting face up on a desk, how often does it "breathe" (without nudging it). Second, is there still a notification LED? Thanks!
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by roadkizzle View Post
    The point of the Contextual processor is that it can accurately compile data from the sensors even even the phone is asleep so that the screen does not turn on when the phone is in your pocket or upside down on a table.
    Cool, I always wondered why they didn't use the proximity sensor to determine if the phone was in your pocket or not. Nothing is more annoying than having your phone pocket dialing, or even pocket purchasing! I bought an app from the Amazon app store in my pocket once. Luckily they refunded me the money

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  15. #15  
    JungleLarry's Avatar

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by JonK View Post
    Can someone please answer these questions: If Moto X is sitting face up on a desk, how often does it "breathe" (without nudging it). Second, is there still a notification LED? Thanks!
    Those questions have already been answered several times. Try searching next time.

    1. There is no notification LED.
    2. Active Notification screen on/off time: Picked one up today (Canada)!
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Has anyone run into the active notifications not working? It works for a while and then no matter what I do, the "notifications" won't come on. Am I misunderstanding how it works? I can put it face down and pick it back up and still nothing?

    Posted via Android Central App
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    Those questions have already been answered several times. Try searching next time.

    1. There is no notification LED.
    2. Active Notification screen on/off time: Picked one up today (Canada)!
    I did search. Every review is too enamored with the active display to answer the basic question. Plus in the video made by AC it looks like there is something blinking next to the earpiece. Thanks for the answer.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by GMC MaXx View Post
    Not pushing a button to see the time doesn't seem like a big deal, but holy cow, it's awesome! On my Galaxy Nexus I would push the button countless times a day just to see if I missed any notifications or to check the time. Now when I pull the Moto X out of my pocket the time and any notifications are already shown without hitting a button to turn on the screen. And I don't have to hit a button to turn the screen off before going back in the pocket. Also, when the phone is sitting on my desk I just give it a nudge and the screen shows me the time. Its such a minor thing, but makes a world of difference in the awesomeness of the Moto X!

    Posted via Android Central App
    This is just so pathetic, Nokia had the same feature years before Motorola has it now on the X. The device im talking about is the N9 and its Meego OS, it had it all, but noone talked about it back than, now everyone talks about it as if its the next discovery of the Americas ... Such ignorance
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by crnkoj View Post
    This is just so pathetic, Nokia had the same feature years before Motorola has it now on the X. The device im talking about is the N9 and its Meego OS, it had it all, but noone talked about it back than, now everyone talks about it as if its the next discovery of the Americas ... Such ignorance
    It's all about the delivery. If I have the greatest product in the world but no one knows about it... can it really be revolutionary? It's the apple phenomenon and it's all about delivery and how you sell the product.

    Do you remember tablet PC's? Back in 1999-2000 they had full sized tablet laptops available. They weren't marketed correctly and never sold well but someone at Apple noticed the potential of it and the rest is history. It's all about how you sell your product.

    PS I'm not an apple fan but their marketing is damn impressive.
  20. #20  
    JungleLarry's Avatar

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by crnkoj View Post
    This is just so pathetic, Nokia had the same feature years before Motorola has it now on the X. The device im talking about is the N9 and its Meego OS, it had it all, but noone talked about it back than, now everyone talks about it as if its the next discovery of the Americas ... Such ignorance
    Take it easy, big guy. The Moto X's Active Display is certainly less cumbersome. They combined the notification and lock screens.

    Just be happy you know more than everyone else, I guess.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by GMC MaXx View Post
    Not pushing a button to see the time doesn't seem like a big deal, but holy cow, it's awesome! On my Galaxy Nexus I would push the button countless times a day just to see if I missed any notifications or to check the time. Now when I pull the Moto X out of my pocket the time and any notifications are already shown without hitting a button to turn on the screen. And I don't have to hit a button to turn the screen off before going back in the pocket. Also, when the phone is sitting on my desk I just give it a nudge and the screen shows me the time. Its such a minor thing, but makes a world of difference in the awesomeness of the Moto X!

    Posted via Android Central App
    My old Blackberry had a magnetic sensor in or behind the screen, and the holster had a magnet so whenever you unholstered it the screen turned on and turned off when it was holstered. I currently use auto screen on on my HTC One. It uses the prox sensor for the same purpose. A thirty dollar Timex means I am not pulling my phone out of my pocket constantly to check the time. It's quicker and more efficient.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Katarn View Post
    It's all about the delivery. If I have the greatest product in the world but no one knows about it... can it really be revolutionary? It's the apple phenomenon and it's all about delivery and how you sell the product.

    Do you remember tablet PC's? Back in 1999-2000 they had full sized tablet laptops available. They weren't marketed correctly and never sold well but someone at Apple noticed the potential of it and the rest is history. It's all about how you sell your product.

    PS I'm not an apple fan but their marketing is damn impressive.
    Come on, the Win XP tablets cost twice the price of a laptop, they were bulky, weighed the same as a laptop (if not more), and had outdated CPUs. They were big and bulky, software was not optimized for touch. No amount of marketing could fix that. I know, I was privileged enough to have used a Compaq/HP 4400. It blew chunks. Big time.
    Thanked by:
  22. #22  
    Dregur's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Quote Originally Posted by Anopy1 View Post
    Has anyone run into the active notifications not working? It works for a while and then no matter what I do, the "notifications" won't come on. Am I misunderstanding how it works? I can put it face down and pick it back up and still nothing?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I noticed that if you don't have any actual notifications, the breathing is less frequent. It will activate every single time when taken out of a pocket. But if it lays there without any notifications, it will breathe once every 15 seconds or so. However, if you have a notification, it will breathe once every 3-5 seconds.
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    I had the droid maxx for 5 days and returned it because it DOES turn on in your pocket A LOT when you get a notification!! I was all the time pulling it out of my pocket and the phone had been on and doing various things from being on the internet to making phone calls. Went back to my RMHD and my big led notifications. Couldn't be happier!!
    Thanked by:
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    Microsofts tablets sucked and they marketed the hell out of them. Apples tablets didn't and don't.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Katarn View Post
    It's all about the delivery. If I have the greatest product in the world but no one knows about it... can it really be revolutionary? It's the apple phenomenon and it's all about delivery and how you sell the product.

    Do you remember tablet PC's? Back in 1999-2000 they had full sized tablet laptops available. They weren't marketed correctly and never sold well but someone at Apple noticed the potential of it and the rest is history. It's all about how you sell your product.

    PS I'm not an apple fan but their marketing is damn impressive.
    iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon
  25. #25  
    xweb10's Avatar

    Posts
    293 Posts
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    ROM
    CNA

    Default Re: Moto X best feature - Active Display

    I agree. This is a great feature that I enjoy on the Droid Maxx, as well. I assume it works similarly on the Moto-X.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How long to active HTC One? It's been 1 hour
    By boi2kwik4u in forum Verizon HTC One
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2013, 03:20 AM
  2. just got my moto x! is this normal?
    By andog88 in forum Moto X
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 02:29 AM
  3. Best school tablet?
    By atomic_squid in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-31-2013, 03:45 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2013, 01:17 AM
  5. Have an upgrade on Verizon, which phone is best? Should I wait?
    By fatmando2 in forum General Android Device Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 10:47 PM

Posting Permissions