Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I'm super close to pulling the trigger on the MOTO X or HTC ONE

I went to the ATT store today and used both the Moto X and the HTC ONE. I really liked the HTC ones screen, but I still don't know if I could get used to sense 5. It's not that I despised it, it was just completely different and strange.

It's seems like I'd gain more personal positives with the moto x: better UI, supposedly better battery life, active notifications, and much closer to a google android experience than the one. Really, I just want stock(ish) android

But I can't shake the feeling that I'm not getting the most value for my money when the phone is only 720p and the internals aren't as bleeding edge. I'm going to be paying full retail price on this phone (though it'll be overtime via att next) but I can't shake that I'm going to get more with the HTC ONE than with the moto x since there so close in retail price.

I know the moto x hardware is probably good enough, all the review I've read said as much, but I can't shake that feeling. One thing I'm worried is that with the HTC ONE I'm buying into HTCs version of Android, not Google's.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? This is a very tough decision

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    I went to the ATT store today and used both the Moto X and the HTC ONE. I really liked the HTC ones screen, but I still don't know if I could get used to sense 5. It's not that I despised it, it was just completely different and strange.

It's seems like I'd gain more personal positives with the moto x: better UI, supposedly better battery life, active notifications, and much closer to a google android experience than the one.

But I can't shake the feeling that I'm not getting the most value for my money when the phone is only 720p and the internals aren't as bleeding edge. I'm going to be paying full retail price on this phone (though it'll be overtime via att next) but I can't shake that I'm going to get more with the HTC ONE than with the moto x since there so close in retail price.

I know the moto x hardware is probably good enough, all the review I've read said as much, but I can't shake that feeling. One thing I'm worried is that with the HTC ONE I'm buying into HTCs version of Android, not Google's.

Just pick up the Moto X and give it a try if you don't like it take it back buy the way HTC One. That's what I did with the Droid Maxx. After 4 days I traded it in for the Moto X and never look back.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Default Re: I'm super close to pulling the trigger on the MOTO X or HTC ONE

Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    Just pick up the Moto X and give it a try if you don't like it take it back and by the way HTC One.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
    This.

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

What are you considering not to be bleeding edge?

Nexus through spacetime.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    What are you considering not to be bleeding edge?

Nexus through spacetime.
    Well, isn't S600 chips kinda the top right now?

My worry is that 6 months from now when I go to play a game or use a app on the moto x, it's leggy and doesn't perform the game or app well.

Also, a lot of reviews I read say that while they really like the moto x, for the price you might be better of with a HTC ONE or S4.

Since android isn't as utilitarian as IOS, I just always thought it's best to get the most advanced handset you can at the time with the most recent silicon. That way you'll probaly be safe for the two years you have the phone.

My worry is that 6 months from now when I go to play a game or use a app on the moto x, it's leggy and doesn't perform the game or app well.

Also, a lot of reviews I read say that while they really like the moto x, for the price you might be better of with a HTC ONE or S4.

Since android isn't as utilitarian as IOS, I just always thought it's best to get the most advanced handset you can at the time with the most recent silicon. That way you'll probaly be safe for the two years you have the phone.
    S800 chips are now hitting the market (LG G2) . I'm not sure about the lag, but a lot of reviews and people has said the phone is buttery smooth. I haven't gotten the phone yet due to technical problems, but when I come back from vacation I am ordering the phone asap. As for the price, there has been a rumor roaming the internet of a $100 price cut to the Moto X at the end of this year. The cut will be done when the new wood backs appears on the market. There is also a rumor of a cheaper moto x made of plastic that might be released in Q4 as well, but who knows if that will come true. For now, I advise trying the phone for a few days, and see if you like what you have. If not, you can always return the phone for a refund, or wait another month or so to see some new products that will be releasing. Who knows, maybe the price will drop?

X is better at gaming compared to one or s4 ,it has same GPU as one and s4 and performs better than them as per graphics benchmarks because of moto's optimizations and 720p screen...

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

The x or g2 are the two most advanced devices so far, for different reasons. The s800 is a powerhouse while the x8 system is a story of optimization, working smarter rather than harder. Check out anantech's review, its pretty comprehensive on the design philosophy and decisions made on components.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Processors aren't 1:1 in implementation, much of the performance is in the firmware. This is evident in the one vs s4 comparisons, where the faster clocked s600 s4 is outmatched by the the s600 in the one.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by globster2000 View Post
    S800 chips are now hitting the market (LG G2) . I'm not sure about the lag, but a lot of reviews and people has said the phone is buttery smooth. I haven't gotten the phone yet due to technical problems, but when I come back from vacation I am ordering the phone asap. As for the price, there has been a rumor roaming the internet of a $100 price cut to the Moto X at the end of this year. The cut will be done when the new wood backs appears on the market. There is also a rumor of a cheaper moto x made of plastic that might be released in Q4 as well, but who knows if that will come true. For now, I advise trying the phone for a few days, and see if you like what you have. If not, you can always return the phone for a refund, or wait another month or so to see some new products that will be releasing. Who knows, maybe the price will drop?
    Don't know if I can do a refund. I can exchange within 14 days, but there's a 30 dollar restock fee.

Don't know if I can do a refund. I can exchange within 14 days, but there's a 30 dollar restock fee.
    You can refund. $35 re-stock fee still applies.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I too was thinking of the Moto X and the HTC One(GPE). I purchased the Moto X and while its a great device there were things that I didn't really like. The volume rocker was really loose and it had a couple scratches along the trim of the phone. Those are manufacturing issues that an exchange would take of but the overall look and feel of the phone wasn't for me. I know I'm in the minority there because that's what most people are liking about it. I wasn't a fan of how the trim of the phone sits above the screen which creates a lip around the screen. So I decided to return and purchase the GPE HTC One.

Not at all knocking the X, those were just my issues with the phone. The software was great and I can't wait to see what Moto/Google come up with next.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    benhmadison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xandroidr View Post
    I too was thinking of the Moto X and the HTC One(GPE). I purchased the Moto X and while its a great device there were things that I didn't really like. The volume rocker was really loose and it had a couple scratches along the trim of the phone. Those are manufacturing issues that an exchange would take of but the overall look and feel of the phone wasn't for me. I know I'm in the minority there because that's what most people are liking about it. I wasn't a fan of how the trim of the phone sits above the screen which creates a lip around the screen. So I decided to return and purchase the GPE HTC One.

Not at all knocking the X, those were just my issues with the phone. The software was great and I can't wait to see what Moto/Google come up with next.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Eeks... Sounds like the moto x is a hit or miss with the builds. Although, the stock white and black was originally assembled in china; at least from what people claimed on the net. Plus, more reports indicate the white having a more rugged feel than the others. majority so far has claimed the motomaker version feeling and performing more better than the stock black or white. Maybe it's made in the US or it was made more correctly? Idk...

Eeks... Sounds like the moto x is a hit or miss with the builds. Although, the stock white and black was originally assembled in china; at least from what people claimed on the net. Plus, more reports indicate the white having a more rugged feel than the others. majority so far has claimed the motomaker version feeling and performing more better than the stock black or white. Maybe it's made in the US or it was made more correctly? Idk...
    Moto x back and white versions are also assembled in USA ..

Posted via Android Central App

It's seems like I'd gain more personal positives with the moto x: better UI, supposedly better battery life, active notifications, and much closer to a google android experience than the one. Really, I just want stock(ish) android

Read my thread I posted earlier, Its all about my experience owning both devices. Pretty lengthy review...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Also, your worry about specs shouldn't be a worry at all. The Moto X out performs the One . A lot has to do with sense, but the X is really fast in everything it does. The display is still to notch and like I said in my post, I'd take better battery and stock over 1080p and quad chip set. Lastly, the GPU is the same as you would find in the HTC one and gs4.

Motorola has changed things and proved it isn't all about specs, but more so how you use the specs and how you fine-tune the software.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts

Ive got the stock white and it has written on the back at the very bottom "DESIGNED & ASSEMBLED IN THE USA"....Im thinking the parts are manufactured in China...The build quality is fine for me, no issues with button rattle or trim/screen misalignment everything is tight and flush...

Eeks... Sounds like the moto x is a hit or miss with the builds. Although, the stock white and black was originally assembled in china; at least from what people claimed on the net. .

Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Ive got the stock white and it has written on the back at the very bottom "DESIGNED & ASSEMBLED IN THE USA"....Im thinking the parts are manufactured in China...The build quality is fine for me, no issues with button rattle or trim/screen misalignment everything is tight and flush...
    I guess I'm wrong because I thought I saw some posts online showing assembled in china.

Edit: aha! Found it in a different thread about a Canadian that haves stock white that was assembled in china.
    Where Was Your Moto Assembled?

Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    I have the Verizon moto X in white and mine says designed and assembled in the USA as well. If I remember correctly some or most of the parts are manufactured in China but everything is assembled here in the United States.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

I guess I'm wrong because I thought I saw some posts online showing assembled in china.

Edit: aha! Found it in a different thread about a Canadian that haves stock white that was assembled in china.
    Correct, there were a few early Canadian customers whose phones said assembled in China.

Sent from my Moto X

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts

Ok now maybe we know why certain Moto X's had issues with the loose buttons and screen/bezel funkiness...perhaps those were the china manufactured phone....as I remember some of the early reviews stated these concerns so theres a chance the review units were china born also...

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Insider View Post
    I have the Verizon moto X in white and mine says designed and assembled in the USA as well. If I remember correctly some or most of the parts are manufactured in China but everything is assembled here in the United States.

How do you like the white moto x? I was originally going to get the white, but was worried it would discolor or get really dirty.

Since I'm on ATT, I think I might as well go with moto maker, huh? I like the smooth plastic as opposed to the in store grippy texture.

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

I just switched from the HTC One Developer Edition. I really liked the one, but ergonomically I much prefer the Moto X, it just fits my hand much better while still maintaining the same screen size as the One. The One is a great phone, but the Moto X matches it in every way in day to day operation for me. I actually find it more fluid than any android or iOS device I've ever used and that includes the HTC One, Galaxy S3 and S4 and all variants of the iPhone including the 5. Just my .02.

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

How do you like the white moto x? I was originally going to get the white, but was worried it would discolor or get really dirty.

Since I'm on ATT, I think I might as well go with moto maker, huh? I like the smooth plastic as opposed to the in store grippy texture.
    I did a custom design with the white weave back and I really like it. No smudges or stains so far, but it's only been a couple of days. To me it just doesn't feel like a material that will get stains that won't just wipe off.

I don't buy in to that 720p vs 1080p resolution of X vs One

Here is a story that happened last Friday, I went out with my friend for a beer who owns a HTC One.
    We were talking about Moto X and its feature and i told him few people on the internet are freaking out about 720p X screen.

He immediately pulled out his HTC One and asked me to take out my Nexus 4(720p). He said you won’t find any difference between 720 and 1080
    We started pulling few images from the internet on both phones and compared them. I couldn't even find any difference.

Now the only difference you will see is how both phones reproduce color.
    Moto X color reproduction has been praised by many reviewers and they said they don't see the difference in high ppi screen vs X.

True Story!!!
    Last edited by still1; 09-24-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    davidnc and Darth Spock like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast