Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By whoahbro
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen During A Call

Has anyone noticed the screen acting odd during a call or while trying to end a call? It will sometimes stay dark no matter what I do? The same thing happens when trying to end a call?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Screen During A Call

Does this happen when you take the phone away from your ear or while on speakerphone? When you have it to your ear and then take it away the screen should come on automatically. If you are on speakerphone the screen will go dark and you have to hit the power button to turn the screen back on to end the call.
    Rockin The Moto X
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

When it happens, I've had the phone to my ear and can't get the screen back. I've tried the power button, etc and nothing seems to work and it eventually turns back on? Kind of strange...

That sounds like a problem with the front sensor detecting it is away from your ear. The screen should turn on and off almost instantly when you go from your ear to away from your ear. I do not believe there is any type of setting for this so it may be a defect in the sensor.
    Rockin The Moto X

I have noticed that sometimes when I am talking on the phone, and have to pull the phone away from my ear to check something (like a calendar or text)- the screen wakes fine, but then will not go dark again soon enough upon me putting it back up to my ear/face. So what happens is widgets and shortcuts get moved or removed. I end up having to hit the power button to make it sleep.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

I hope this isn't a wide spread problem with the proximity sensor. I get my phone tomorrow so I will definitely check this out. Lets see how many people list this as a problem. If a lot of people complain about this it may be software problem that can be dealt with in an update. To soon to tell.
    Rockin The Moto X

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

Do you guys have screen protectors on the phone by chance? Are they for the correct phone? Covering the sensor?

Yes this happens to me but just because I have the at&t "texting and driving it can wait" sticker still on my phone because I'm waiting for my screen protector to arrive from amazon. When it stays black I just peel the left side of the plastic off slowly so the sensors open and the screen lights up again I'm guessing any plastic on the screen blocks the sensors

Mine must have just needed to be power cycled because ever since I turned the phone off, and then on again - its working fine

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    paisley99 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Where is the sensor on this phone?

I am having the same issue as well. It seems to happen to about 50% of calls I make. I lose all access to the screen and cannot end the call or go to speaker due to the fact the screen has gone black.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Eli View Post
    I am having the same issue as well. It seems to happen to about 50% of calls I make. I lose all access to the screen and cannot end the call or go to speaker due to the fact the screen has gone black.
    Weird. Do you have a case in it maybe blocking a sensor? Not sure

Sent from my HTC One

No case being used. When I restart the phone it seems to clear up for a while then starts again.

Maybe it's a bad sensor then, if you do a complete master reset of your phone and it keeps happen you can prob just exchange it for a new one

Sent from my HTC One

Quote Originally Posted by anicholas7 View Post
    I hope this isn't a wide spread problem with the proximity sensor. I get my phone tomorrow so I will definitely check this out. Lets see how many people list this as a problem. If a lot of people complain about this it may be software problem that can be dealt with in an update. To soon to tell.
    yeah. that's the one good thing about (sprint) getting the phone a little later, i'm taking note of all these little issues and going to test for them and do all the fixes early on so i'll know if everything is in order.

I just got the Moto X 4 days ago. I had the same problem with the screen going black and staying black when I made a call. My issue ended up being the screen protector...once I bought the one specifically for my phone I have not had any more problems. I guess this phone doesn't like the universal protectors. Other than that one small issue this phone is AWESOME

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

My wife was having the same issue and after we got rid of the screen proctor the issue was gone.