Weird battery issues.

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Just got my Moto X yesterday and I'm loving the hell out of it. Powered it up right outta the box with around 60% battery and it died at 50%. I thought the phone bricked because it wouldn't turn on any longer, but I plugged it in and discovered that it was suddenly at 0% battery. Once it had enough juice to power on, the battery was reading 45% . Strange, so I gave it a full charge and then managed to get around six hours of near continuous screen on time! Awesome.

Then it decided to shut off at 25% battery. WTF. Charged it all last night and now i'm Down to about 90% battery after an hour of use.

I'm gonna give it a few days to see if a few charge cycles help it out, but might call into Verizon to get a replacement if I'm still having trouble.

Anyone having problems like this at all?

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Moto X yesterday and I'm loving the hell out of it. Powered it up right outta the box with around 60% battery and it died at 50%. I thought the phone bricked because it wouldn't turn on any longer, but I plugged it in and discovered that it was suddenly at 0% battery. Once it had enough juice to power on, the battery was reading 45% . Strange, so I gave it a full charge and then managed to get around six hours of near continuous screen on time! Awesome.

Then it decided to shut off at 25% battery. WTF. Charged it all last night and now i'm Down to about 90% battery after an hour of use.

I'm gonna give it a few days to see if a few charge cycles help it out, but might call into Verizon to get a replacement if I'm still having trouble.

Anyone having problems like this at all?

I would factory reset before you move forward with any evaluation before returning. Give the software a clean start. I'm getting 5 to 6hrs use also

Posted via Android Central App

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I would factory reset before you move forward with any evaluation before returning. Give the software a clean start. I'm getting 5 to 6hrs use also

Good idea. I guess I'll wait a few days/charge cycles and the factory reset before I order a replacement.

Just to clarify, your battery is draining to a low percentage before you charge it? Obviously, we're getting around the same amount of usage but mine must be reading power levels incorrectly.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Good idea. I guess I'll wait a few days/charge cycles and the factory reset before I order a replacement.

Just to clarify, your battery is draining to a low percentage before you charge it? Obviously, we're getting around the same amount of usage but mine must be reading power levels incorrectly.

Yes but only for a few more times just to see how the battery performs on a full charge. After that I'll be keeping it as close to full charge as often as possible.

The reset will recalibrate the software and battery stats. So it should sync it back correctly to show the right percentages..it may work itself out without a reset but someone with a little more knowledge there would have to confirm that.

Posted via Android Central App

jameskk1

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the Verizon model yesterday and it had 60% charge out of the box. It just died and shutoff around 25%. It said 25% one second and half second later said 0% and turned off. I charged it all night and will cycle a few times. I also have the new Droid Maxx and it did the same thing first time I ran it down. Sounds like it might be normal.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the Verizon model yesterday and it had 60% charge out of the box. It just died and shutoff around 25%. It said 25% one second and half second later said 0% and turned off. I charged it all night and will cycle a few times. I also have the new Droid Maxx and it did the same thing first time I ran it down. Sounds like it might be normal.

Mine went from 14 to 4 the first partial charge out of the box but has since performed outstanding

Sent from my XT1060

Jason Ganley

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with my phone when I got it last Thursday. Powered on with about 50% and seemed to be normal until about 20%, then suddenly it was completely drained. After a few cycles it seems to be much more consistent. Yesterday, I went about 16 hours with a little more than 5 hours of screen time - tons of app downloads, web, facebook etc.. So that seems pretty good and easily should get me through a normal day. One thing I do notice though is that the idle drain on the Moto X seems to be pretty high. One day I charged it up fully before I fell asleep so I unplugged it - when I woke up 7 hours later the battery was at 75 pct. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs? I played with all the GPS, WIFI, BT, Google Now, and 'active listening' settings - and checked all my apps running in the background but nothing seems to lower the idle battery drain. It still gets through a full day but if I cant charge my phone over night for some reason then it will for sure be dead in the morning which can be an issue occasionally. The culprit in the battery stats is 'Android OS' which could mean anything it seems. My iPhone 5 barely dropped at all over night if I forgot to plug it in - maybe 2 or 3 pct at the most over 7 hours.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with my phone when I got it last Thursday. Powered on with about 50% and seemed to be normal until about 20%, then suddenly it was completely drained. After a few cycles it seems to be much more consistent. Yesterday, I went about 16 hours with a little more than 5 hours of screen time - tons of app downloads, web, facebook etc.. So that seems pretty good and easily should get me through a normal day. One thing I do notice though is that the idle drain on the Moto X seems to be pretty high. One day I charged it up fully before I fell asleep so I unplugged it - when I woke up 7 hours later the battery was at 75 pct. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs? I played with all the GPS, WIFI, BT, Google Now, and 'active listening' settings - and checked all my apps running in the background but nothing seems to lower the idle battery drain. It still gets through a full day but if I cant charge my phone over night for some reason then it will for sure be dead in the morning which can be an issue occasionally. The culprit in the battery stats is 'Android OS' which could mean anything it seems. My iPhone 5 barely dropped at all over night if I forgot to plug it in - maybe 2 or 3 pct at the most over 7 hours.

I've noticed the same thing. I'm not sure what "Android OS" is doing. I get decent battery life but nothing like 5-6 hrs of screen time, the most I've gotten is 3hrs with about 15% left. The other day at a football game I was down to 74% after 42 minutes of screen time. I'm thinking about trying a factory reset.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
One small tweak I realized the other day is to turn off wifi when not planning to use it or not within a wifi connection.

I would connect to my home wifi but when I left the house I would just leave it turned on. Once I turned off wifi after leaving the house my standby time has gotten much better.

Jason Ganley

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing. I'm not sure what "Android OS" is doing. I get decent battery life but nothing like 5-6 hrs of screen time, the most I've gotten is 3hrs with about 15% left. The other day at a football game I was down to 74% after 42 minutes of screen time. I'm thinking about trying a factory reset.

I did that the day before yesterday and it seems to have helped, but I'm not sure if it's that or if the phone is just settled in now after a few days of calibrating itself to the battery. If I can get this idle drain under control, this is by far the best phone I've owned. The Verizon site says the stand by time is "up to" 10 days, but that is definitely not even close in my case. If I just let the phone sit there doing nothing, the most it would last is 4 days. I installed battery defender, but that program turns off the data connections which causes a glitch in the 'always listening' feature (used a lot when I'm driving).

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I did that the day before yesterday and it seems to have helped, but I'm not sure if it's that or if the phone is just settled in now after a few days of calibrating itself to the battery. If I can get this idle drain under control, this is by far the best phone I've owned. The Verizon site says the stand by time is "up to" 10 days, but that is definitely not even close in my case. If I just let the phone sit there doing nothing, the most it would last is 4 days. I installed battery defender, but that program turns off the data connections which causes a glitch in the 'always listening' feature (used a lot when I'm driving).

4 days is pretty good, I didn't know they said it was supposed to be ten days. I really like this phone also but, I have yet to see a Android phone prior to 4.3 handle the battery like an Iphone.

Jason Ganley

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
4 days is pretty good, I didn't know they said it was supposed to be ten days. I really like this phone also but, I have yet to see a Android phone prior to 4.3 handle the battery like an Iphone.

Hopefully they will push out 4.3 soon to the X. I keep switching back and forth between Android and iPhone because I eventually get some kind of Android lemon, and don't want to deal with it, but then I get disappointed with the iphone when I see new features on Androids. Not sure if apple can keep innovating without Jobs. Fingerprint sensor is cool and all, but does it really do much for the average user? Seems more like they are trying to get in good with their corporate customers with that one. The Moto X is the first phone that has come out in a long time that has some features that seem innovating and useful, and not just a bunch of stuff they are trying to throw at a wall to see what sticks. The active screen is amazing and I cant see myself going without it now. I use the "ok, google now" constantly in my car - I think this is an underrated feature by a lot of the reviewers, and works great with assist's ability to know when you are driving and reads your texts and caller names.

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
One day I charged it up fully before I fell asleep so I unplugged it - when I woke up 7 hours later the battery was at 75 pct. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs? The culprit in the battery stats is 'Android OS' which could mean anything it seems.

Same here. Battery is consistent now, but even idling it drains high.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully they will push out 4.3 soon to the X. I keep switching back and forth between Android and iPhone because I eventually get some kind of Android lemon, and don't want to deal with it, but then I get disappointed with the iphone when I see new features on Androids. Not sure if apple can keep innovating without Jobs. Fingerprint sensor is cool and all, but does it really do much for the average user? Seems more like they are trying to get in good with their corporate customers with that one. The Moto X is the first phone that has come out in a long time that has some features that seem innovating and useful, and not just a bunch of stuff they are trying to throw at a wall to see what sticks. The active screen is amazing and I cant see myself going without it now. I use the "ok, google now" constantly in my car - I think this is an underrated feature by a lot of the reviewers, and works great with assist's ability to know when you are driving and reads your texts and caller names.

I've noticed with 4.3 that the standby time improved on my HTC One. My Nexus 7 (2013) has been off the charger for 1 day and 2 hrs. and is sitting at 95%. I've switched back and forth from the Iphone a lot also but, I've always had at least one Android phone around. Another thing I like about this phone , besides the stuff you mentioned, is it's consistant, smooth operation throughout the OS and in apps. It's the snappiest and most fluid Android phone I've owned.

Jason Ganley

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed with 4.3 that the standby time improved on my HTC One. My Nexus 7 (2013) has been off the charger for 1 day and 2 hrs. and is sitting at 95%. I've switched back and forth from the Iphone a lot also but, I've always had at least one Android phone around. Another thing I like about this phone , besides the stuff you mentioned, is it's consistant, smooth operation throughout the OS and in apps. It's the snappiest and most fluid Android phone I've owned.

I just got the Nexus 7 and gave my wife my Ipad mini. The screen is amazing and the battery life has been great so far. You're right about the smoothness for sure - if 4.3 helps the idle drain, then this phone will be perfect.