Voice cutting out on other end of call

Inundated#CB

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
So a hardware exchange does nothing right?

This is my only line and I conduct business throughout the day. I feel terrible when a business contact says "I missed that, what did you say" several times throughout the call.

I'll call Moto in the morning and see what I can do. I may have to go to AT&T and buy a different phone, maybe the HTC One Mini?

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
From this post over in Google + it sounds like a OTA fix will "fix" it.

Hey folks, we're adjusting echo cancellation parameters in the upcoming over-the-air (OTA) maintenance release. I am confirming that this should address the issues we're seeing here. Will post-back with confirmation shortly.

This will be good for all those (including myself) future and present Moto X owners :)

joelski#CB

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad this appears to be a software issue and not hardware. I returned two Moto X phones and now have an HTC One, I will have another Moto X Tuesday as I like it better than the HTC. If I would have known this was a software issue early on it would have saved me a lot of grief. The move from 30 to 14 days by Verizon to swap a phone doesn't help for new phones. By the time this phone has been somewhat determined to be software related there has been way to many Moto X phones sent back. I would have held on to mine if I would have known. Also I believe new phones should be tested for a few weeks by a larger number of people to find the bugs. The best testers are most of the people on this forum and I know darn well many of you would love to test new phones for a few weeks at a time.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Hey folks, we're adjusting echo cancellation parameters in the upcoming over-the-air (OTA) maintenance release. I am confirming that this should address the issues we're seeing here. Will post-back with confirmation shortly.

This will be good for all those (including myself) future and present Moto X owners :)

Great news. : ).

mcanad1

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the update!! Its great to see an OTA this quickly. I hope this fixes the issues because other than this one thing its a great phone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

yazzinit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
If I have it, nobody can confirm it. Tried talking to many people and telling them about the issue, everyone hears me clearly on Verizon. Combinations of noise on either end and quiet, different variations.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Drat, someone just confirmed i was cutting in and out over the phone. :(. Since some people have said they don't have that problem, i will give an exchange a shot. Probably won't help but maybe i'll get super lucky.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Drat, someone just confirmed i was cutting in and out over the phone. :(. Since some people have said they don't have that problem, i will give an exchange a shot. Probably won't help but maybe i'll get super lucky.

That sucks... However, on the bright note the noise cancelation works great! I walked to McDonalds while talking to the wife and a begged asked for money. I told the begged I don't have cash on me. My wife was like what??? I told her a begged asked for money, and she didn't even hear the guy even though he was 3 feet away. Just my answer of sorry I don't have cash

Posted via Android Central App

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Noise/echo cancellation is probably aggressive in certain scenarios, it won't happens every call ..it depends on the noise level/type of noise, distance from mic, indoors vs outdoors ..all these count, motorola will probably be tuning parameters a little bit, im sure the fix is already in carrier labs and will be rolled within couple of weeks. Not sure if this will work but if your call is cutting out try closing your top mic ( next to headphone jack) with your finger see if it helps..

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Noise/echo cancellation is probably aggressive in certain scenarios, it won't happens every call ..it depends on the noise level/type of noise, distance from mic, indoors vs outdoors ..all these count, motorola will probably be tuning parameters a little bit, im sure the fix is already in carrier labs and will be rolled within couple of weeks. Not sure if this will work but if your call is cutting out try closing your top mic ( next to headphone jack) with your finger see if it helps..

we were both in our apartments, mine is quite and so was hers. I think it actually *has* been happening. I don't talk on the phone very much and other times i was talking to people who were driving on blue tooth or speaker phone or someone who tends to ramble on and on so i wasn't sure. But this time i was on the phone with someone who confirmed it.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure if any Verizon or Roger's phones has tried this as a fix, but at xda-dev they suggests this as a fix for those phones:

jackdforme said:
Allow me to be thanked. For cdma versions (VZ and rogers) go to phone then settings and disable voice privacy. First it's BS anyway since cdma to cell is digitized anyway with basic encryption. Second the 48key encryption method I think called is95 umm sucks! It's uses bandwidth on a network that has none and causes breakup and delay. It's an immediate night and day difference.

Posted via Android Central App