Moto X getting hot, battery draining. This happening to anyone else? Motorola's won't do anything.

starrygirl1120

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I got my Moto Maker 32 Gb Moto X on Wednesday I think. It never had phenominal battery life, but then Saturday it suddenly went from a full charge to 4% in about 2 hours, and also was very hot. Turned it off charged it for about half an hour. After I turned it back on it was still hot, (I think) had about 50% battery, and in about 20 minutes it died. Charged it overnight. I woke up, turned it on, and took it off the charger at about 11:00AM. Still running hot, but I wanted to see how long it would last. It died at about 4:00PM.
I should also mention that when I saw my battery draining, I uninstalled recent apps I installed, turned off GPS, and dimmed the screen completely. Also about 15 minutes before this battery issue started, out of nowhere, the sound stopped working on my Moto X. Every sound, not just notifications. I rebooted it and it worked fine after. Anyone else having these problems? Any idea what is going on? Software related?

OK, so now on to my other point at my Motorola has horrible customer service. I called the tech support, and told them all of this. Got transferred around to 3 different people. No one had an answer to this problem. Finally after 45 minutes I get transferred to the department, so I can get a new Moto X. Or so I thought. The woman on the phone tells me, there seems to be a problem with the phone, but I only have 2 options. I could A.Send my phone back, wait for them to processes the return, then they will send me a code so I can make a new phone on Moto Maker, and then it will be shipped out to be (pretty much estimating this will leave me without a phone, while still having to pay AT&T for aprox. 2 weeks). Or option B, they will send me a code so I can make a new phone on Moto Maker, and then I will be charged full retail price , and I will be refunded once they get the phone back and have processed the return (which leaves me without over $600 for about 2 weeks). I don't know about any of you, but I don't have over $600 just lying around collecting dust that Motorola could "borrow" for a little bit, and I also cannot be without a phone for however long it would take to get a new phone because I need it for work. I told the woman this about 5 times, and she just kept repeating the same thing. So what am I supposed to do now?! I would return it to AT&T and get a white or black Moto X, BUT the whole reason I left Verizon to go to AT&T was to get the 32GB Moto X. I mean the Moto Maker option is fun, but I could have lived without it. I'm just at my wits end, and I know I'm rambling here but I'm just seriously pissed and I have no idea what to do.

Amylase453

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The day I got my Moto X on Verizon I set it up with no issues. That night ran some errands with it in the car. When I came back a few hours later the phone had turned itself off. I turned it on and noticed the battery was down to almost nothing and almost immediately it started getting really hot. I turned it off and charged it fully. I checked data usage and there was no spike so it wasn't the radios generating heat, at least transmitting data. I couldn't figure out what it was and still don't know.

From that point on, and it's been almost a week, it hasn't done that since.

What did happen to me, yesterday, is that it rebooted on its own two times. It happened once before, too. I can live with a random reboot here and there, but if it heats up again like that it's getting swapped out.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I got my Moto Maker 32 Gb Moto X on Wednesday I think. It never had phenominal battery life, but then Saturday it suddenly went from a full charge to 4% in about 2 hours, and also was very hot. Turned it off charged it for about half an hour. After I turned it back on it was still hot, (I think) had about 50% battery, and in about 20 minutes it died. Charged it overnight. I woke up, turned it on, and took it off the charger at about 11:00AM. Still running hot, but I wanted to see how long it would last. It died at about 4:00PM.
I should also mention that when I saw my battery draining, I uninstalled recent apps I installed, turned off GPS, and dimmed the screen completely. Also about 15 minutes before this battery issue started, out of nowhere, the sound stopped working on my Moto X. Every sound, not just notifications. I rebooted it and it worked fine after. Anyone else having these problems? Any idea what is going on? Software related?

OK, so now on to my other point at my Motorola has horrible customer service. I called the tech support, and told them all of this. Got transferred around to 3 different people. No one had an answer to this problem. Finally after 45 minutes I get transferred to the department, so I can get a new Moto X. Or so I thought. The woman on the phone tells me, there seems to be a problem with the phone, but I only have 2 options. I could A.Send my phone back, wait for them to processes the return, then they will send me a code so I can make a new phone on Moto Maker, and then it will be shipped out to be (pretty much estimating this will leave me without a phone, while still having to pay AT&T for aprox. 2 weeks). Or option B, they will send me a code so I can make a new phone on Moto Maker, and then I will be charged full retail price , and I will be refunded once they get the phone back and have processed the return (which leaves me without over $600 for about 2 weeks). I don't know about any of you, but I don't have over $600 just lying around collecting dust that Motorola could "borrow" for a little bit, and I also cannot be without a phone for however long it would take to get a new phone because I need it for work. I told the woman this about 5 times, and she just kept repeating the same thing. So what am I supposed to do now?! I would return it to AT&T and get a white or black Moto X, BUT the whole reason I left Verizon to go to AT&T was to get the 32GB Moto X. I mean the Moto Maker option is fun, but I could have lived without it. I'm just at my wits end, and I know I'm rambling here but I'm just seriously pissed and I have no idea what to do.

Welcome to the forums!
At the moment, I would see what AT&T can do. Sure it won't be a custom skinned device, but maybe they can swap it out for something. If they say no, you are in no worse position.

TonyStarks260

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If you have a friend or co-worker with an older smartphone you could drop you sim in there and use it while your phone is getting fixed. I would also go to my local AT&T and see if there is anything they can do to help you out while you're waiting for a replacement, it never hurts to ask. Unfortunately pretty much anything that involves getting a new unit before they receive the defective one they're gonna charge you for it.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

Did you try a factory data reset ? Factory Data Reset removes everything that was imported, added or installed on the device.

From any homescreen of your phone, tap the Menu hard key.
Tap Settings.
Scroll down and tap Privacy.
Scroll down and tap Factory Data Reset.
Tap Reset Phone, confirm to execute.
Might take 5-45 minutes. Hope this helps unless you've already done so.

anotherfiz

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
You might want to consider the advanced RMA swap. If you put the 600 on a CC you'll see no difference at the end of the month, because you'll be credited.

Ktoomba

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Mine was doing the same thing, heating up very rapidly... and it turns out to be a failing 4g sim card error causing it (in my case at least). Reading on other phones using this style sim slot, (HTC One etc), they are also seeing some of this. Maybe yours is starting to fail too, which means the network is dropping and searching a lot in my case... then eventually stops until I reboot. Ahh the fun. Good luck, hopefully yours resolves soon.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Or option B, they will send me a code so I can make a new phone on Moto Maker, and then I will be charged full retail price , and I will be refunded once they get the phone back and have processed the return (which leaves me without over $600 for about 2 weeks). I don't know about any of you, but I don't have over $600 just lying around collecting dust that Motorola could "borrow" for a little bit, and I also cannot be without a phone for however long it would take to get a new phone because I need it for work. I told the woman this about 5 times, and she just kept repeating the same thing.

You don't have a credit card?

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I got my replacement phone in 24hrs.. Where are you getting two weeks from?? My 600 was refunded about 5 days later once they received my phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Convert2

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine was doing the same thing, heating up very rapidly... and it turns out to be a failing 4g sim card error causing it (in my case at least). Reading on other phones using this style sim slot, (HTC One etc), they are also seeing some of this. Maybe yours is starting to fail too, which means the network is dropping and searching a lot in my case... then eventually stops until I reboot. Ahh the fun. Good luck, hopefully yours resolves soon.

For the past three days, I had the phone getting hot and battery draining issue. When I looked at the battery usage, it showed most juice being used by phone, despite having made only 1 call. So I decided based on this post to get the sim card swapped out, no cost to me, and quick. So far after the swap, my Moto X has been behaving normally.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Use your cc and purchase using the today show $150 off deal. Their cs is not good but I think their 2 options to you are reasonable.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got my replacement phone in 24hrs.. Where are you getting two weeks from?? My 600 was refunded about 5 days later once they received my phone.

This. I had my phone in 2 days and my refund in less than a week. I thought they were reasonable options. Only carriers will send you a replacement before you send them your phone, and that is only because they have a direct billing relationship with you. Every other manufacturer I have RMA'd a phone through only had option 1, send them your phone then they will send you the new one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie