Camera Question - Wavy Lines When Focusing?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So I just got a Moto X. Haven't even activated it, but decided to play with it a little bit. This is not a post about how good or bad the camera is (the practice shots in my office look rather good, at the moment), but another question about it and I want to know if this is normal. When the camera is focusing you can see wavy lines on the screen, kind of like when you watch a video of a computer screen. It only happens when focusing and then they go away. I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about. If this is normal, I'm ok with it. If this is an aberration, then I want to get it checked out by Verizon and get a possible replacement. If anyone can chime in, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You can kind of see them black bars on these pictures. It was really hard to get a pic of it with my S4, but maybe you can still see it here.

Thanks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378831298309.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378831298309.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 47
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378831315255.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378831315255.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 47

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. It was indoors. In my office. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that or not. Didn't want to go through the trouble of doing a return if it wasn't actually worth a return.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. It was indoors. In my office. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that or not. Didn't want to go through the trouble of doing a return if it wasn't actually worth a return.

Same here. Just in my office and low light. I would be willing to bet that they are all the same. I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted via Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Just in my office and low light. I would be willing to bet that they are all the same. I wouldn't worry about it.

It just felt like there was something wrong. I don't remember any other phone I've had do that. Other than that, this phone is REALLY nice. I wonder what causes it with the low light?

geneod

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I haven't really seen anything new about this issue. I was looking at the Moto X at 2 different Verizon stores and they did the same thing that the OP was talking about. Dark wavy lines when I use the camera in the store. I was pointing at the information posted at the white display with fluorescent lighting from above. The S5 next to it, didn't do it. The other Motorola phones(Maxx etc) in the store did the same thing. I'm assuming it is the Motorola hardware that is the issue. When I take the picture the lines are apparent on the actual picture though. I'm guessing that it is not a real issue if there hasn't been too much talk about it. As I have pretty much read the whole Moto X section, the only camera issue is the main one about how crappy it was.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have this problem all the time on my Moto X. It is only while focusing and the pictures always come out fine. I'll just wait to see if it gets worse then get a warrantee replacement.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It is normal under some types of artificial light. I have seen it on all 5 moto x phones I have used.

Disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

geneod

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Does it actually show up in the photos cant miss? I could have sworn that i saw it in the couple of test shots in the store. The waves were annoyingto me anyway. Like looking at an old monitor on its last leg.

It was just weird that it was happening in 2 Verizon stores. It kind of turned me off on purchasing the Moto X or any other Motorola. No other camera in the store was doing anything like it. Maybe the X+1 will be different. I like the idea of active display, but I would like to have a great camera too. Cant have it all in this world...

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Like I said, it only happens under certain circumstances. Try taking a picture of a predominately white subject under fluorescent or LED lighting.

I don't see anything weird. Maybe my eyes are just bad and old!

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Does it actually show up in the photos cant miss? I could have sworn that i saw it in the couple of test shots in the store. The waves were annoyingto me anyway. Like looking at an old monitor on its last leg.
It can. If you see them on screen when you snap it, they'll be in the photo. But if you just let the camera settle for a second or three, you will see them disappear on screen. Then it is safe to snap the photo.

I am not sure exactly what causes this, but I remember seeing it on my old Nexus 4 when using Camera FV-5 with certain modified camera settings (usually high ISOs and long shutter speeds). The CMOS sensors in these cameras don't actually have mechanical shutters like a DSLR. They switch on and off electronically, and I am guessing there is some kind of moire occuring with some speeds and frequency of light. Like I said it eventually settles down and clears up... but I was surprised to see it in the first place. It was immediately apparent at the Moto X display at the local Verizon store (with a white counter under fluorescent light); but I can make it happen here under LED light as well.

ruben almeida

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I was so convinced that my moto x was faulty... Just received it today, and I never saw anything close to this on my other phones, this is really dramatic, at least in my fluorescent-lighted office. The funny part is that in these conditions, the front camera is way better, and no banding is visible.
It seems that the choices for this phone, in the camera department, are not to be understood...