Moto X without carrier branding? (sim-lock free?)

7Sander7

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
So I live in the Netherlands and I really love the Moto X!

This phone isn't coming to Europe, so I talked to my dad (who is going to the States on a business trip) and he's willing to go get it for me.

My question therefore is, will my dad be able to find a Moto X that is not locked to a specific American carrier in november this year?

In the Netherlands we have this thing called a sim-lock free version of the phone, where you can just slip in any sim card you want and it'll work.

If this is possible could you guys give me tips on where you go look for it, and if not, will unlocking a Sprint version (just to give an example) via the official Motorola unlock tool do the trick as well?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
You have 3 issues:
1) Can it be unlocked to work with other SIMs?
2) Does it have the right radio bands to work in the Netherlands?
3) Does it have the right radio bands to work with fast data in the Netherlands?

You can check whether it uses the bands you need here
Motorola Moto X - Full phone specifications
(although of course, you also have to figure out which bands you want. I find wikipedia helpful for that.)

At to whether you can get a carrier to unlock it, you probably ought to contact the carrier prior to purchase to determine that. Sprint is annoying about thier unlocking procedure, but usually will do it for phones with that physical capaility.I am less familiar with AT&T and Verizon's policies.

If you wait, there are supposed to be developer versions available, and those ought to work in ther countries, if they support the right bands.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
SIM unlocking is fairly simple on the Moto X. It can be done online @ cellunlocker.net and costs $8. I've unlocked a Moto X that way.

7Sander7

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Is that possible for every version of the moto x or only Verizon for example?
And since it's online can that also be done here in the Netherlands?

Sent from my Desire HD using AC Forums mobile app

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
The best bet for one that is sim unlocked is the Verizon model. All of their phones are unlocked our of the box. I'm still willing to bet that it won't be an optimal experience given that the phone was designed for the carrier. Your best bet would probably be to wait until the next nexus comes out or Motorola releases a European version of the x phone.

Posted via Android Central App

TomE8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Do you know for sure that that the developer versions will be sim free? I am waiting to the motorola X like 7Sander7...
At the motorola X site it is only said that it will be "unlockable bootloader". Does it mean sim-free? sorry if I am mixing expressions...

7Sander7

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm fairly certain that if the phone is sim-lock free it will work in the Netherlands, I checked the bands etcetera.
My biggest question remains if this SIM-lock free phone will be available somewhere.

Sent from my Desire HD using AC Forums mobile app

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Someone on here got their T-Mobile Moto X yesterday. They said it was unbranded, and SIM unlocked. He said he popped an AT&T SIM in it and it did not prompt him to enter SIM unlock code. Worked on AT&T for him. So I assume your best bet would to be buy the T-Mobile version on Motorola's U.S. website.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

poprace

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I have a simple question. I bought a T-Mobile Moto X direct from Motorola just now while on vacation from Europe. My old phone did not take a nano SIM, how can I check if my new phone is SIM unlocked? Thanks!

I can confirm that it's unbranded, which is really awesome, and that turquoise looks great. :)

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Well I know the T-Mobile version is unlocked. I got mine yesterday and my Att Sim works with no issues ( at least insofar as my AT&T SIM works. I can't vouch for other international carriers).

I don't know if there's an "official" way to check though.

Posted via Android Central App

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The GSM developer edition and Tmobile version both direct from Motorola are unbranded and SIM unlocked. You just need to check that the bands the Moto X supports are the bands your local cell carrier is using.

poprace

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, that's what I thought I am just hoping to confirm it asap :)

Can anyone help me confirm that this T-mobile Moto X will work with Halebop in Sweden? I have been googling it for a while..... and can't quite figure it out. O_O

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, that's what I thought I am just hoping to confirm it asap :)

Can anyone help me confirm that this T-mobile Moto X will work with Halebop in Sweden? I have been googling it for a while..... and can't quite figure it out. O_O

What frequencies do they use?

poprace

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I talked to my Swedish carrier and they told me to ask Motorola... who naturally told me to ask the carrier!

I did get this information, however:
3G Network
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile

4G Network
LTE 700 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile​

Compared to the above link.... I still don't quite get it. Can anyone please help me figure out what should work? Thanks so much!

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The tmobile and dev edition are both SIM unlocked and without branding.

Unless you want a half black and half white phone get the tmobile variant. Unlocked bootloader and SIM unlocked are two totally different things. The unlocked bootloader is only important if you plan on rooting and using custom roms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol