Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Puzzlegal
  • 1 Post By anthony2558
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X without carrier branding? (sim-lock free?)

So I live in the Netherlands and I really love the Moto X!

This phone isn't coming to Europe, so I talked to my dad (who is going to the States on a business trip) and he's willing to go get it for me.

My question therefore is, will my dad be able to find a Moto X that is not locked to a specific American carrier in november this year?

In the Netherlands we have this thing called a sim-lock free version of the phone, where you can just slip in any sim card you want and it'll work.

If this is possible could you guys give me tips on where you go look for it, and if not, will unlocking a Sprint version (just to give an example) via the official Motorola unlock tool do the trick as well?

Default Re: Moto X without carrier branding? (sim-lock free?)

You have 3 issues:
    1) Can it be unlocked to work with other SIMs?
    2) Does it have the right radio bands to work in the Netherlands?
    3) Does it have the right radio bands to work with fast data in the Netherlands?

You can check whether it uses the bands you need here

(although of course, you also have to figure out which bands you want. I find wikipedia helpful for that.)

At to whether you can get a carrier to unlock it, you probably ought to contact the carrier prior to purchase to determine that. Sprint is annoying about thier unlocking procedure, but usually will do it for phones with that physical capaility.I am less familiar with AT&T and Verizon's policies.

If you wait, there are supposed to be developer versions available, and those ought to work in ther countries, if they support the right bands.
    Thanked by:
    7Sander7 likes this.

SIM unlocking is fairly simple on the Moto X. It can be done online @ cellunlocker.net and costs $8. I've unlocked a Moto X that way.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Is that possible for every version of the moto x or only Verizon for example?
    And since it's online can that also be done here in the Netherlands?

Sent from my Desire HD using AC Forums mobile app

I know they can do AT&T and Rogers versions. I'm not sure about Verizon.

The best bet for one that is sim unlocked is the Verizon model. All of their phones are unlocked our of the box. I'm still willing to bet that it won't be an optimal experience given that the phone was designed for the carrier. Your best bet would probably be to wait until the next nexus comes out or Motorola releases a European version of the x phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Do you know for sure that that the developer versions will be sim free? I am waiting to the motorola X like 7Sander7...
    At the motorola X site it is only said that it will be "unlockable bootloader". Does it mean sim-free? sorry if I am mixing expressions...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I'm fairly certain that if the phone is sim-lock free it will work in the Netherlands, I checked the bands etcetera.
    My biggest question remains if this SIM-lock free phone will be available somewhere.

Sent from my Desire HD using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    1,279 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Someone on here got their T-Mobile Moto X yesterday. They said it was unbranded, and SIM unlocked. He said he popped an AT&T SIM in it and it did not prompt him to enter SIM unlock code. Worked on AT&T for him. So I assume your best bet would to be buy the T-Mobile version on Motorola's U.S. website.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    1,279 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3070237
    Tmobile version X

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I have the T-Mobile version. Its Sim unlocked.

Question Re: Moto X without carrier branding? (sim-lock free?)

I have a simple question. I bought a T-Mobile Moto X direct from Motorola just now while on vacation from Europe. My old phone did not take a nano SIM, how can I check if my new phone is SIM unlocked? Thanks!

I can confirm that it's unbranded, which is really awesome, and that turquoise looks great.

Does anyone have an update on this?

Simple questions really, how do you check if your phone is SIM unlocked?

Thanks!

Well I know the T-Mobile version is unlocked. I got mine yesterday and my Att Sim works with no issues ( at least insofar as my AT&T SIM works. I can't vouch for other international carriers).

I don't know if there's an "official" way to check though.

Global Posts
    3,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

The GSM developer edition and Tmobile version both direct from Motorola are unbranded and SIM unlocked. You just need to check that the bands the Moto X supports are the bands your local cell carrier is using.

Thanks for the replies, that's what I thought I am just hoping to confirm it asap

Can anyone help me confirm that this T-mobile Moto X will work with Halebop in Sweden? I have been googling it for a while..... and can't quite figure it out. O_O
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,189 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poprace View Post
    Thanks for the replies, that's what I thought I am just hoping to confirm it asap

Can anyone help me confirm that this T-mobile Moto X will work with Halebop in Sweden? I have been googling it for a while..... and can't quite figure it out. O_O
    What frequencies do they use?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    What frequencies do they use?
    I am not quite sure, this is new to me and it's a bit confusing.

I think this chart addresses it:

It's a chart, so the language does not matter so much. Halebop is a part of TeliaSonera.

I talked to my Swedish carrier and they told me to ask Motorola... who naturally told me to ask the carrier!

I did get this information, however:
    3G Network
    HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile

4G Network
    LTE 700 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile

Compared to the above .... I still don't quite get it. Can anyone please help me figure out what should work? Thanks so much!

The tmobile and dev edition are both SIM unlocked and without branding.

Unless you want a half black and half white phone get the tmobile variant. Unlocked bootloader and SIM unlocked are two totally different things. The unlocked bootloader is only important if you plan on rooting and using custom roms.

Quote Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
    The tmobile and dev edition are both SIM unlocked and without branding.

Unless you want a half black and half white phone get the tmobile variant. Unlocked bootloader and SIM unlocked are two totally different things. The unlocked bootloader is only important if you plan on rooting and using custom roms.
    Thanks. Yeh, I confirmed with Motorola that it's indeed SIM unlocked and that's fine.

What I am trying to confirm is if the 3G and 4G will work in Sweden (and if so with which carriers).

I think it might, at least 3G, but I'd really like to have someone who understands this stuff better than me help confirm that the T-Mobile Moto X should indeed work..

I'm also from the Netherlands, bought the DEV edition which is the same as the tmobile. Am using it in the United Arab Emirates on GSM and 3g. Have not tested the phone yet in the Netherlands itself but pretty sure it will work. Don't get the verizon as it's incompatible with GSM.

I'm not too enthusiastic about the black /white color scheme of the Dev edition , the tmobile version should at least give you some color options.

Good luck!

From the chart you posted, TeliaSonera/Telia, which Halebop is a subsidiary of, uses 1800 MHz band for 3G and 850, 2600 Mhz band for 4G (LTE). The T-Mobile/Dev version of the Moto X has the following band support:
    GSM/EDGE: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz (for phone calls and 2G (EDGE) data)
    3G: 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz (3G)
    LTE: 700, 850, 1700/2100, 1900 MHz
    You can see that the Moto X doesn't have the band needed for 3G. I imagine it'd a similar situation to when you use the AT&T Nokia Lumia 920 on T-Mobile in the US: you'd drop all the way down the slow 2G speed when you don't have LTE, and it's quite a dramatic change.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc dg View Post
    I'm also from the Netherlands, bought the DEV edition which is the same as the tmobile. Am using it in the United Arab Emirates on GSM and 3g. Have not tested the phone yet in the Netherlands itself but pretty sure it will work. Don't get the verizon as it's incompatible with GSM.

I'm not too enthusiastic about the black /white color scheme of the Dev edition , the tmobile version should at least give you some color options.
    Thanks for this info!

Halebop in Sweden confirmed to me that 3G should work but not 4G. Are you satisfied with just having 3G? I don't think 4G matters that much too me. My old phone did not have it and my plan is modest. Plus the phone is really amazing, and it was nearly half the price I'd have paid for something similar in Europe.

I agree about the colours, I was underwhelmed by the white version so I got a turquoise one through Motomaker. It looks nicer in real life than in the mockups, too.