Anyone else spooked by all these problems?

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
From an insurance standpoint, you file a claim, the next morning a phone arrives, you activate it and then send the old one back. Slightly less convenient than just getting a new one right away, but if you're like me and don't necessarily have time to go to a store to do an exchange, waiting until the next morning for the replacement isn't too bad.

Actually, this is very true... For many millions of people it would actually be easier to replace or fix a non-Apple phone than an iPhone... Because thegrants82's argument only is applicable if you have an Apple store in your vacinity and are able to get to the store whenever you're actually able to make an appointment. I know that in Texas, there are many stores in the DFW area, one in El Paso, a couple in Austin-San Antonio, and a few in Houston. That only covers a very small part of the state, which makes many many people completely unable to easily get to an Apple store to get their Apple products looked at. Even if someone is in the area they are not guaranteed to be able to make an appointment to see a "genius" at a time where they can easily get to the store.

Everyone has access to their carrier store, so everyone has access to getting their devices fixed with different manufacturers.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I may have the first one, don't have the 2nd or 3rd. I do think many phones have their issues when they first come out, I remember a few bad iPhone ones back in the day, people were exchanging my palm pre left and right, Kindle white (not a phone, I know) , etc. Sammy s4 spent quite a bit of time working on the lag, etc. Clearly many of us have one of the issues you mentioned, but many do not. I have the first and may have to switch out, willing to go through a number of handsets if I have to cuz I really like this phone... A lot. That's just how it goes sometimes.

Hmm, wonder about those droids, interesting.

Posted from my moto x

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
This.

Any product that's produced in these quantities is going to have a few duds here and there.

Sounds like a lot of the issues are software related which is a good thing. Once the updates come out everything should be fine. But from hat I read, people are really loving the phone. I was tempted a few times to buy it myself.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Understand that. Your trying to argue when all that I'm doing is saying how easy it is to replace a bad or damaged iPhone. Don't care what kind of insurance plan that your going to invent for your next response but you can't beat exchanging an iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

I got a new moto x in 24hrs. Shipped and in my hands in less that 2 business days. Honestly that was less of a hassle then making an appt to see someone at apple and at mine in town sometimes they can't even see you that day they are so busy. I think it goes both ways.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
My only complaint about this phone is how loud the vibration motor is. Aside from that, it has been perfect. It is the first phone I've bought in a loooong time that I didn't have to swap out right away because of some glaring defect. Call quality has been great, battery life OUTSTANDING, active notifications the greatest thing ever... I seriously love this phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Every forum has one...

I'd return it for vibration motor. My first one that had a bad speaker was that way. The replacement is like a normal phones vibration

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Dude you are clueless if that's what you believe but I read you insulting and very uneducated posts everyday so....

Oh please. And you calling me clueless and saying I'm uneducated is the epitome of class and intelligence?

Get off your high horse. If you were really any better than me, than you wouldn't be saying anything at all.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
For many millions of people it would actually be easier to replace or fix a non-Apple phone than an iPhone... Because thegrants82's argument only is applicable if you have an Apple store in your vacinity and are able to get to the store whenever you're actually able to make an appointment.

Yes. But let's not let facts get in the way here.

tortex73

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd return it for vibration motor. My first one that had a bad speaker was that way. The replacement is like a normal phones vibration

It's not worth it to me. I went in to the AT&T store and compared it with the demo model and a couple others that they had on hand, all had identical vibration to mine. Couple that with the fact that there are a ton of people that have complained about it on all the forums I'm on and it tells me that quiet vibration is the exception and not the rule with the Moto X. The likelihood of getting a quiet one is very slim. Considering it's my only gripe, I can live with it. Once Moto updates active notifications to allow us to turn off the haptic feedback, it will be a non issue for me.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
And I'm saying it's really not much different than exchanging another defective phone of a different brand. I will agree that Apple is easier--for uneducated people who don't know what they're doing. But it's pretty much the same for people who know what they're doing. That's the way everything is with Apple.

I have to agree with thegrants82. It's really easy to get the device switched out at the Apple store. They tend to always have them in-stock. I've had problems in the past with Verizon not having my phone in stock and then they have to ship the refurb to you which takes 2-3 days. One time I found myself using an old phone with a prepaid tmobile sim for a few days because of this. It was not an optimal warranty exchange process.

Apple also is pretty quick to sell you a replacement for a small fee if the phone is out of warranty. The same can't be said for most other manufacturers. And if you go to Verizon they want you to pay retail, which ridiculous given that it's possible to activate a new line, quickly cancel it and pay the termination fee and still come out cheaper than paying full retail.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The x doesn't have many problems compared to others.

HTC ONE-gaps in screen, rattling speakers,dead pixels

GS4-massive lag issues, many reports of screens cracking in pockets due to how flimsy the device is.

All electronics have problems when being massed produced, the x is a keeper.

Sent from my Moto X

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Apple also is pretty quick to sell you a replacement for a small fee if the phone is out of warranty.

How? My ex-girlfriend's home button on her iPhone 4S died on her about a month out of warranty and they wanted her to pay full retail for a replacement.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Expect an ota update soon mostly in couple of weeks resolving most of the issues ..moto has already confirmed ota update coming soon improving camera and fixing assist bugs ...I'm sure they will be call quality improvements too ..

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I used to think my not having problems with smartphones was just luck of the draw, but I have since come to the conclusion that some people shouldn't own smartphones! And when it comes to forums, you can't trust that everyone is being truthful, especially since Samsung pays people to trash the competition!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
See question "My iPhone is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?"

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

It requires calling Apple support or going to an Apple store.

Interesting. The person at the genius bar never even mentioned that option.

Still, that's not exactly a "small fee". Agree that it's better than paying full retail of course but I'd probably rather use a backup or throwaway phone in the meantime and just wait for my new upgrade.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. The person at the genius bar never even mentioned that option.

Still, that's not exactly a "small fee". Agree that it's better than paying full retail of course but I'd probably rather use a backup or throwaway phone in the meantime and just wait for my new upgrade.

True. I just meant it was smaller relative to full retail. It also looks like older phones are cheaper than newer phones to replace.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm shocked at how many problems folks are having with their Moto X. I realize the very nature of forums attract people with problems/complaints, so reading the forums you might get a skewed perspective of the true quantity of problems experienced in the field. Is this typical of all new phones, or do folks feel like the Moto X has some real problems?

I had really decided on this phone -- but some of these are fundamental features of the phone and as a result deal killers for me. I keep reading and hoping Motorola comes out with (software) fixes. I have an old crappy phone that I've had for 3 years, but everything works. The 3 major concerns I see:

- Voice calls cutting out
- Text messages being read when not driving
- Active notification issues when pocketed

If it's software related, shouldn't the same issues be showing up in the Mini/Ultra/Maxx?

I want to buy this phone, so I'm really hoping these problems can be solved.

Buy it if you want and be willing to return it for another (the lgg2 forums have a lot fewer complaints). These threads are always full of people who have no issues.

Yes every phone will have some bad apples. Personally the camera, calls cutting out, and the pocket issues worry me more than what I've read about for the other new phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Buy it if you want and be willing to return it for another (the lgg2 forums have a lot fewer complaints).
You mean the phone that's been out for TWO DAYS?

You should've been here two days after the Moto X was launched. It was all peaches, roses, and unicorn prayers. It only makes sense that the more people buy a phone, the more activity these forums are going to get. It's simple statistics.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I will agree that Apple is easier--for uneducated people who don't know what they're doing. But it's pretty much the same for people who know what they're doing. That's the way everything is with Apple.

Real classy response, saying that Apple people are uneducated. Btw, If you drop your phone in the water, or ruin it some other way, you will have a large deductible to go with your insurance replacement. Applecare has a $49 deductible. And if you are out of warranty and have a problem, Apple will give you another phone for $229. No other manufacturer will do that. So, who is uneducated?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12