1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Background Tasks

This may be a stupid question, but since i just recently gave up my unlimited data plan when i bought the Moto X , im now all of a sudden worried about data usage.
    Do open apps (running in the background when you tap the bottom right button) use data? How about battery? For example, when i have a browser window open, a game of scrabble that's ongoing and my Yahoo inbox app. Do i constantly need to be on top of closing all those apps? In which case, should i be using a task killer? I've read mixed reviews on their usefulness.

Also, what do you find to be a big data hog? I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Default Re: Background Tasks

it depends!!!! some app has poor coding and might drain your battery or data.

some are smart enough to not drain batter or use much data even when they are running in the background.

you can check settings-->data usage and settings-->battery to check if any app is misbehaving.
    Also, in android you can restrict background data for individual app in settings-->data usage
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:

Have you checked your current data usage? I've found that most open apps don't really use much battery or data unless they're set to do something periodically. Browsers tend to not do this but stuff that syncs data like Facebook or Gmail or widgets that give semi up-to-date information like weather widgets can wake your phone (using battery) and fetch data (using data). Though keep in mind that going out and getting the current weather takes, at most a couple of kilobytes and takes minimal battery. So in general, it's not an issue at all.

I'm not really sure what the big, secret data users are. My wife and I generally use less than a quarter of our 4GB combined data we get per month. We both use Facebook and Instagram, I have three weather widgets, I keep all Google Now cards on, I sync Gmail every 15 minutes and everything else every hour and I'm on WiFi at home. I don't have the Moto X, but you can usually find how much data you've used in settings somewhere. FWIW, from August 12 to Sept 11th I only used 350MB of data with no special consideration to what apps were doing. Facebook, Chrome and the Google Play store (I have it set to update on WiFi only, but I push apps to my phone from my browser from time to time) were the top users of data with 40-60MB each in that month. Most of that is probably from active use, though. The behind the scenes stuff like Google Serives, Google Search (Now) and Android OS took 20-40MB each. Drive and Maps (I'm not sure why Drive was so high) took 15MB each and everything else was below 10MB. My weather widgets were around 2-3MB each.

The big battery user is normally location services, usually Google Now, but it's in the "Google Services" category. It tracks your location, potentially keeping the history of where you've been all day, around once per minute or two, depending on how much you move. On my Galaxy S4 I lose about 2% of battery per hour while idle. I'd expect it to be at the very worst similar on the Moto X, but you'll also get all of the motion sensing, active notifications and always on voice recognition.

I would guess that task killers won't help at all. The only times I kill tasks are if they've gone out of control and use a bunch of battery for some reason (pretty rare) or if I have a bunch of browser windows open and I'm too lazy to close them individually. The type of apps that do stuff in the background will likely just open up automatically again and will probably wake the CPU and fetch remote data every time they're opened, anyway.

tl;dr - unless you have a very low data cap or use apps that you know use a ton of data (streaming media) you probably don't have to worry about it, especially if you spend time in places where you can use WiFi. It's easy enough to keep an eye on.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    Have you checked your current data usage? I've found that most open apps don't really use much battery or data unless they're set to do something periodically. Browsers tend to not do this but stuff that syncs data like Facebook or Gmail or widgets that give semi up-to-date information like weather widgets can wake your phone (using battery) and fetch data (using data). Though keep in mind that going out and getting the current weather takes, at most a couple of kilobytes and takes minimal battery. So in general, it's not an issue at all.

I'm not really sure what the big, secret data users are. My wife and I generally use less than a quarter of our 4GB combined data we get per month. We both use Facebook and Instagram, I have three weather widgets, I keep all Google Now cards on, I sync Gmail every 15 minutes and everything else every hour and I'm on WiFi at home. I don't have the Moto X, but you can usually find how much data you've used in settings somewhere. FWIW, from August 12 to Sept 11th I only used 350MB of data with no special consideration to what apps were doing. Facebook, Chrome and the Google Play store (I have it set to update on WiFi only, but I push apps to my phone from my browser from time to time) were the top users of data with 40-60MB each in that month. Most of that is probably from active use, though. The behind the scenes stuff like Google Serives, Google Search (Now) and Android OS took 20-40MB each. Drive and Maps (I'm not sure why Drive was so high) took 15MB each and everything else was below 10MB. My weather widgets were around 2-3MB each.

The big battery user is normally location services, usually Google Now, but it's in the "Google Services" category. It tracks your location, potentially keeping the history of where you've been all day, around once per minute or two, depending on how much you move. On my Galaxy S4 I lose about 2% of battery per hour while idle. I'd expect it to be at the very worst similar on the Moto X, but you'll also get all of the motion sensing, active notifications and always on voice recognition.

I would guess that task killers won't help at all. The only times I kill tasks are if they've gone out of control and use a bunch of battery for some reason (pretty rare) or if I have a bunch of browser windows open and I'm too lazy to close them individually. The type of apps that do stuff in the background will likely just open up automatically again and will probably wake the CPU and fetch remote data every time they're opened, anyway.

tl;dr - unless you have a very low data cap or use apps that you know use a ton of data (streaming media) you probably don't have to worry about it, especially if you spend time in places where you can use WiFi. It's easy enough to keep an eye on.

Says I used 512mb in the last 7 days (since I got the phone) and that's with using WiFi most evenings. Is this normal?? That sounds really high to me. I have the 2gb plan. at this rate it will be very easy for me to go over. I don't stream a lot,I do use Facebook and other social media, as well as the browser. my chrome says 103mb. Facebook -73mb. I can list a few others but those are the top two.

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Is Google now under the "Google search" category?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've never reached my 4GB limit and thats with web browsing, downloading apps, social netoworking, and streaming music. But some apps will waste your data, a game did that to my brother. Stuff like Facebook and Google email will use data even if their not open. If you want you can Root the Moto X and use the app Greenify so it only allows the app to use data when its open and your using it (so it could be open but your not on the app).

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts

the CNN app and/or widget was a huge data hog for me....It had soaked up 466mb in like 10 days I had to restrict that app to wifi only!

I have an issue like that too. I have 500 mb, but I've only had my phone for 3 days, and I've used up 222 mb. I don't know how, as the only thing I do on my phone is check Facebook occasionally and text people. Does anyone know why my data usage is going up and how I can stop it? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sinthujakanesh View Post
    I have an issue like that too. I have 500 mb, but I've only had my phone for 3 days, and I've used up 222 mb. I don't know how, as the only thing I do on my phone is check Facebook occasionally and text people. Does anyone know why my data usage is going up and how I can stop it? Thanks!
    Don't be fooled into thinking Facebook doesn't take up much data, because it can. You say occasionally, and I can easily put 300+MB on my monthly data purely on FB and that's occasional usage also. Do you use web browsing often? Make sure to always take advantage of Wifi spots whenever possible. But as it's already been stated, look at the data usage tab of settings and it'll clearly say what's consuming your data by most used to least.

For Data useage click on Settings, Data usage and scroll down to see the whole list of apps/usage. Remember, there was probably a lot of Play Store action as your apps were synced to your new device.