4.3 Engineering Build Leaks for T-Mobile Moto X

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I just saw over on XDA Developers that there is a system dump for 4.3 and the OP is claiming to also have received a 2nd updated engineering build. Hopefully this means we will start to see a cross carrier rollout over the next few weeks!

Here is the thread for anyone curious:
Moto X T-Mobile System Dump [4.3] - xda-developers

Edit: clarified that there was no official OTA, only another engineering build.

Last edited:

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I just saw over on XDA Developers that there is a system dump for 4.3 and the OP is claiming to also have received a 2nd updated engineering build. Hopefully this means we will start to see a cross carrier rollout over the next few weeks!

Thanks for the info!

Looks like there are some camera tweaks in that build. Pictures still look pretty crappy, but at least they seem to be working on it. Hopefully, later builds improved picture quality.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

What does engineering build mean? And I think I know what OTA means but what do the initials stand for? Also, If there is no OTA does that mean no mic fix? or can that be included in an engineering build. And what does "system dump" mean?

thanks

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
An engineering build is a somewhat generic version of the software that Motorola will create with things like debugging options enabled. A system dump is basically like doing a ghost image of your PC's hard drive but for a smartphone......its an exact copy of everything on there. From what I understand they moved to a "unified build process" a year or two ago where they make an engineering build, test it and fix bugs as they crop up then they will take it and remove all the extra features/options that are either for other devices or not necessary for general users and run it vs their test suite. The stripped down build is then an OTA candidate but first it has to passes the Motorola test suite to ensure stability and that there is nothing that will make the phone just die. If it passes the test suite then it is submitted to the carriers for approval as an OTA, if it fails the carrier testing, whatever caused the failure is then resolved and a new build is then retested and resubmitted. A great way to look at it is that Motorola now has a full functional and fairly stable build of 4.3 ready for the Moto X and is testing it. Hopefully we should see the OTA released within the next few weeks.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
An engineering build is a somewhat generic version of the software that Motorola will create with things like debugging options enabled. A system dump is basically like doing a ghost image of your PC's hard drive but for a smartphone......its an exact copy of everything on there. From what I understand they moved to a "unified build process" a year or two ago where they make an engineering build, test it and fix bugs as they crop up then they will take it and remove all the extra features/options that are either for other devices or not necessary for general users and run it vs their test suite. The stripped down build is then an OTA candidate but first it has to passes the Motorola test suite to ensure stability and that there is nothing that will make the phone just die. If it passes the test suite then it is submitted to the carriers for approval as an OTA, if it fails the carrier testing, whatever caused the failure is then resolved and a new build is then retested and resubmitted. A great way to look at it is that Motorola now has a full functional and fairly stable build of 4.3 ready for the Moto X and is testing it. Hopefully we should see the OTA released within the next few weeks.

Thanks. Okay, so would the OTA you?re talking about be the 4.3 and nothing more (like a fix to the issue some of us are having)? Just wondering if I should be hopeful of a fix, or just about 4.3, which I really don?t care about cuz I know nothing about android.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
What does engineering build mean? And I think I know what OTA means but what do the initials stand for?
Over the air. It just means your carrier will push the update to your phone. You don't need to plug it in to a computer or take it in to a store to get it.

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
When carriers release an OTA even if it is a new version of Android, there are many parts to the firmware besides just the OS itself. A firmware update aka the OTA generally updates everything from the device baseband radios (what lets you connect to cell towers for CDMA, GSM, LTE), the Kernel (which has the modules aka drivers for each hardware component such as GPU, Camera, Bluetooth, GPS, etc.., manages the file system, etc..), the OS itself aka 4.3 in this case, all of the pre-loaded applications and any customizations that Motorola has made. The first OTA always includes a fairly large list of improvements regardless of if there is a new version of Android included or not.

A few examples you typically see on the first OTA are battery life improvements, performance improvements, cell signal improvements, camera tweaks, etc..... Now that's not to say that any of the reported issues thus far will be fixed in the OTA as we really won't know till we actually get it, but it's safe to say that device manufacturers typically work to resolve the biggest most critical issues first. Now some of the issues can be quite complex so you get a hacked fix of sorts that improves things but doesn't fully resolve the issue till a 2nd or 3rd update down the road when they've had enough time to resolve things.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
So I see some image/video stabilazation, was that there before? Hopefully we get a Marco and Photoshpere settings in the Camera too, that would be awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d