Moto X - the final straw that has broken the Camel's back

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I purchased two Galaxy Nexus' 21 months ago and signed up with Unlimited data for two years. I now have the Moto X and love the phone, but am over Verizon dictating the software updates and crippling of the device.

Google Wallet - I want to use it as it was intended not have VZW disable Tap and Pay and be told I have to use Isis.

OS Updates - No one is complaining yet because we just got the phone but it will not be long before 4.4 is released and VZW Moto X owners will start voicing their concern about 4.3 not being out yet for their Moto X and still being stuck on 4.2.2.

So tired of Bloatware - It is minimal but still an annoyance after each call I get a message from "callerID" asking if I want to save the caller and reminding me that this is a 10 day free trial.

Google Voice - It's all I use now and for some reason does not work or play well with Verizon. I am not sure what I am missing in the background but when I set it up it says the carrier will not work with Google Voice app.

Come this December when I am out of my contract and paying month to month, I will be saying adios to big red and likely going to AT&T. I will be losing Unlimited data but oh well.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like your beef is more with Verizon than the Moto X. You should disable your bloatware, which can be done without root

Sent from my XT1060

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You're not alone in your frustration of Verizon's castration of phones features. Their designation of bloat causes no elation and endless consternation which is an aberration. For this, Verizon will never have our admiration. ;)

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
You are correct. I love the Moto X.........I will hopefully ba able to find someone to trade a GSM Moto X for a Verizon version or end up buyin two new Nexus 5's. Verizon just kills the experience.

Sounds like your beef is more with Verizon than the Moto X. You should disable your bloatware, which can be done without root

Sent from my XT1060

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You are correct. I love the Moto X.........I will hopefully ba able to find someone to trade a GSM Moto X for a Verizon version or end up buyin two new Nexus 5's. Verizon just kills the experience.
Verizon has a strong network but they want your soul for it.

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The network is the only reason I stay. I travel a lot for work, and unfortunately, I hate to say it... It really can't be beat. Just so you know though, you won't be able to use Google wallet on AT&T either. They are just as bad in my opinion as verizon

Posted via Android Central App

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree. The network is the only reason I stay. I travel a lot for work, and unfortunately, I hate to say it... It really can't be beat. Just so you know though, you won't be able to use Google wallet on AT&T either. They are just as bad in my opinion as verizon

:banghead: Even if it's the Nexus 5?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
They are just as bad in my opinion as verizon

The best thing about ATT and T-Mo is you can bring any GSM phone you want. If Verizon keeps CDMA on their network, even if they roll out HSPA in some areas, because of the CDMA radio they can dictate everything that happens with the phone and whether or not they will allow it on their network. With the GSM carriers, as long as the bands are supported, you can bring the phone.

For that simple reason I will not use Verizon. AT&T, in my area, has a network that is just as robust as Verizon's so I am not worried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
:banghead: Even if it's the Nexus 5?

If you buy it from the Play Store it should (might?) work. Phones sold through AT&T do not work. This might be a good question to ask in the N4 section to see if it works for people on AT&T currently, but I am fairly certain that it is only disabled BY AT&T when they have access to the code prior to sale. On a Nexus, GPe device or any other device you buy somewhere else and bring to their network they don't have that access.

gwdres85

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Come this December when I am out of my contract and paying month to month, I will be saying adios to big red and likely going to AT&T. I will be losing Unlimited data but oh well.

AT&T is on the same level of Evil as Verizon.

It's telling that both these companies went out of their way to share customer data with the Government without any concern for the Constitution nor their customer's privacy. They care little for their customers as you are experiencing with Verizon.
Verizon & AT&T LTE are a waste of money
Someone needs to smash Verizon and AT&T

It is unfortunate they are so powerful and able to dominate the cellular industry to the extent they do.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
After eleven years with Verizon even my unlimited data wasn't enough to get me to stay.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any problems using Google Voice with my Verizon X. Never have.

And you're not going to have any luck using Google Wallet for tap and pay with any carrier other than Sprint. All the other carriers are pushing Isis.

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is on the same level of Evil as Verizon.

It's telling that both these companies went out of their way to share customer data with the Government without any concern for the Constitution nor their customer's privacy. They care little for their customers as you are experiencing with Verizon.
Verizon & AT&T LTE are a waste of money
Someone needs to smash Verizon and AT&T

It is unfortunate they are so powerful and able to dominate the cellular industry to the extent they do.

Not that I think this is the place for this kind of discussion, but if you didn't see that coming I am sorry you are so disgusted with it. If you give your information to someone, you should never trust that it is 100% safe. All of the major companies involved in the US have not come forward. Google, Verizon, AT&T, and even Apple; the people we depend on to keep our information safe have betrayed our trust. It is to be expected when private business constantly shakes hands with the government.

While a consumer should be able to trust a company it gets its products from, it is up to the consumer to perform their due diligence.

In the sense of carriers, there is almost always a local or regional carrier that can offer you phone service. They tend to be cheaper, but without the big bank accounts the national carriers have,you might not have the options for a decent device. There are options if you are willing to give up some of the perks that the Big 4, but they are just options, and not always available to EVERYONE.

And you're not going to have any luck using Google Wallet for tap and pay with any carrier other than Sprint. All the other carriers are pushing Isis.

Pretty much!! ISIS was developed by AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile essentially to make sure that Google Wallet failed. Maybe things like Google Wallet and ISIS are meant to fail, Capitol One pulled it's support. IMO, Google would have gotten it done. Instead, they still fail to have ubiquitous support of Visa and Mastercard. AMex and Chase are still on board, but who knows for how long.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

It'll work fine as long as it's a Nexus or Google Play Edition device. The problem is those are completely not an option on Verizon.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
So tired of Bloatware - It is minimal but still an annoyance after each call I get a message from "callerID" asking if I want to save the caller and reminding me that this is a 10 day free trial.

You do realize that you can disable that app, right?

And, again, the Google Voice app works with Verizon. It always has. You just have to set it up manually.

These are really very simple and well known solutions. I'm honestly surprised someone with a developer edition Moto X didn't know them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google Wallet - I want to use it as it was intended not have VZW disable Tap and Pay and be told I have to use Isis.

You will always have this issue unless you're using a Nexus or GPE device.

OS Updates - No one is complaining yet because we just got the phone but it will not be long before 4.4 is released and VZW Moto X owners will start voicing their concern about 4.3 not being out yet for their Moto X and still being stuck on 4.2.2.

Google Play Services makes this somewhat irrelevant. It would help to know what features from 4.3 you absolutely need on your Moto X.

You will always have this issue unless you're using a Nexus or GPE device.

Google Voice - It's all I use now and for some reason does not work or play well with Verizon. I am not sure what I am missing in the background but when I set it up it says the carrier will not work with Google Voice app.

I have had no issues with Google Voice on my Moto X (and my DROID BIONIC).

brianbrain

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

Fair points against Verizon, this one aside. While I will grant you that Verizon adds an extra step to the process, GV *does* in fact work just as well on VZW as it does on any other carrier. You just have to follow directions.

Your other points are really only going to be solved by going to a GSM carrier and buying a phone off Google Play at full price. Guaranteed Google Wallet support, first to receive OS updates, no bloatware. I did this with a Galaxy Nexus and t-mobile pre-paid for a while - it is pretty nice (although t-mobile went out of their way to disable call forwarding on prepaid plans when I last checked, which did in fact disable GV from intercepting calls - unless people call your GV number).

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I would join TMobile in a heart beat if I could get a signal in Deltaville Va.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
If you buy it from the Play Store it should (might?) work. Phones sold through AT&T do not work. This might be a good question to ask in the N4 section to see if it works for people on AT&T currently, but I am fairly certain that it is only disabled BY AT&T when they have access to the code prior to sale. On a Nexus, GPe device or any other device you buy somewhere else and bring to their network they don't have that access.

Coming from someone who had the Nexus 4.. You can still use Google Wallet.. Buy it from the Play Store (only place to buy it from for ATT) and it works perfectly fine. As for everything else, On my HTC One X I had the same cra**.. But on the moto, I really have little bloatware.. Only thing how ever is the updates, Im a bit weary of this as well.. but! They're a bit better tbh.

Honestly I hate tMobile's pinkish charm, and how everything they do is girly.. But their phone selection is pretty freaken aWesome

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You're not alone in your frustration of Verizon's castration of phones features. Their designation of bloat causes no elation and endless consternation which is an aberration. For this, Verizon will never have our admiration. ;)
This made lol, good job!