Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nemov
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Hey guys and gals. Today's my first day with the Moto X and for the most part I love it. Just one small problem I keep finding with touchless controls (or maybe I don't have something set right). For almost anything I command it to do, it does a google search. Ironically it says to say "help me" for a list of commands and when I do, it literally googles "help me" haha I've also tried the "what song is this?" and "text (person's name)" commands and neither of those have worked either (again, does a search).

    Am I missing a setting or doing something wrong or is this a common problem right now? Or do you have to have seperate third party apps to make them work? I have soundhound and shazam for the song capture, but even then doesn't work (but does work if I tell it to OPEN the app). Neither does "play (song/artist)", even though I only have play music for a player.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Quote Originally Posted by kupochan View Post
    Hey guys and gals. Today's my first day with the Moto X and for the most part I love it. Just one small problem I keep finding with touchless controls (or maybe I don't have something set right). For almost anything I command it to do, it does a google search. Ironically it says to say "help me" for a list of commands and when I do, it literally googles "help me" haha I've also tried the "what song is this?" and "text (person's name)" commands and neither of those have worked either (again, does a search).

    Am I missing a setting or doing something wrong or is this a common problem right now? Or do you have to have seperate third party apps to make them work? I have soundhound and shazam for the song capture, but even then doesn't work (but does work if I tell it to OPEN the app). Neither does "play (song/artist)", even though I only have play music for a player.
    "Okay Google Now, what's playing" has worked for me to find out the song.

    "Okay Google Now, play some Radiohead" has worked for playing an artist.
    Ry likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Quote Originally Posted by kupochan View Post
    Hey guys and gals. Today's my first day with the Moto X and for the most part I love it. Just one small problem I keep finding with touchless controls (or maybe I don't have something set right). For almost anything I command it to do, it does a google search. Ironically it says to say "help me" for a list of commands and when I do, it literally googles "help me" haha I've also tried the "what song is this?" and "text (person's name)" commands and neither of those have worked either (again, does a search).

    Am I missing a setting or doing something wrong or is this a common problem right now? Or do you have to have seperate third party apps to make them work? I have soundhound and shazam for the song capture, but even then doesn't work (but does work if I tell it to OPEN the app). Neither does "play (song/artist)", even though I only have play music for a player.
    You have to enable Google now and give consent to access your location

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswhat_567 View Post
    You have to enable Google now and give consent to access your location

    Posted via Android Central App
    This seemed to solve it! Didn't realize you had to activate google now seperately and enable gps and history to better assist. Now it works like a charm Thanks!
  5. #5  
    asharrop's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Quote Originally Posted by nemov View Post
    "Okay Google Now, what's playing" has worked for me to find out the song.

    "Okay Google Now, play some Radiohead" has worked for playing an artist.
    Asking it to play a bad has never worked for me, it will just open up the music app with that band front and center, but won't play. If I ask it to play a single song name, that will automatically play. Should it play music from a band if I ask it to without having to tap the screen?

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,200 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Quote Originally Posted by asharrop View Post
    Asking it to play a bad has never worked for me, it will just open up the music app with that band front and center, but won't play. If I ask it to play a single song name, that will automatically play. Should it play music from a band if I ask it to without having to tap the screen?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yes. It should.

    Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  7. #7  

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Yes. It should.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Mine does not play either.....just brings up the bands and I have to play it from their.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Quote Originally Posted by asharrop View Post
    Asking it to play a bad has never worked for me, it will just open up the music app with that band front and center, but won't play. If I ask it to play a single song name, that will automatically play. Should it play music from a band if I ask it to without having to tap the screen?

    Posted via Android Central App
    It does for me.. Took a a min before it fired up though

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswhat_567 View Post
    You have to enable Google now and give consent to access your location

    Posted via Android Central App
    i feel like it works for me even without access to locate. As long as I have a signal it will do it.
  10. #10  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,200 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Quote Originally Posted by jckd View Post
    Mine does not play either.....just brings up the bands and I have to play it from their.
    I just said "OK Google Now. Play some Childish Gambino". Google Now fired up, then opened a Play Music and started playing a Childish Bambino song.

    Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  11. #11  

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I just said "OK Google Now. Play some Childish Gambino". Google Now fired up, then opened a Play Music and started playing a Childish Bambino song.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Mine seems to operate song only. But so weird, if i say play Morrissey it brings up all my Moz albums then ends up playing a Moz cover by the Deftones that doesn't even have Morrissey in the title. wth. lol. :D. I'm just gonna name my phone Chrstine and call it a night.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I just said "OK Google Now. Play some Childish Gambino". Google Now fired up, then opened a Play Music and started playing a Childish Bambino song.

    Posted via Android Central App
    ohhh, maybe i need to use the word "some" with it. never did that. Can't try right now though.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: "OK Google now" almost always leads to a search for me

    Mine will play specified songs, but with an artist only brings me to the screen without playing

    Sent from my XT1060

Similar Threads

  1. No one here is raving about their Droid Mini? OK, I will
    By MikeLip in forum Motorola Droid Mini
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-06-2014, 08:29 PM
  2. Got my new android phone. Bluetooth works only one way. PC send ok. Mob to PC send fails.
    By plainman0007 in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM
  3. word search swype / free puzzle game
    By ponyebuchi in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 10:05 AM
  4. Setting Reminders with ok Google Now
    By jtb79 in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 09:16 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 04:16 PM

Posting Permissions

B